SUV choices under $30k

Wife decided she wants to upgrade the family SUV and is looking for a midsized option.

She has tentatively narrowed it down to the Ford edge, Toyota highlander, or Honda pilot. Would like to stay under 30 if possible but there's wiggle room

Anyone have any insight into what to avoid/look for or any other good options. My gut tells me the highlander is the safest bet for long term reliability but I'm not familiar with any of these platforms except the 3.5 honda motor in the pilot.

As an aside:
She likes the telluride a lot but I'm not spending $50k.

The mazda CX5/50 engine and trans seem just awful after a test drive .

Kia sportage seems like quality is hit or miss. AC didn't even work in the brand new one we test drove.

CR-V was intriguing but I'm not sure I'm sold on the 1.5 turbo motor for longevity.

Absolutely will not consider chevy blazer or equinox. Build quality seemed pretty poor on the ones we looked at.

No jeep or dodges, either.

EDIT to ask:
Can anyone comment on the mazda 2.5 NA motor and trans? When we test drove it, it seemed a little sluggish which is fine for what it is BUT I did floor it a couple of times and the transmission didn't seem to know which gear to select. It took what felt like a full second for the car to decide to do anything. And the trans was pretty notchy. Sport mode certainly did not help and only made the car rev hang. I'm curious if there is a break in period and the if the computer will learn and smooth this out over time. OR if this is just the nature of that platform. Because, considering thr price, everything else was very nice on the mazdas.

Last edited:
What is slightly used? Bcs. 30k might not be enough depending on what you want.
Equipment? What does it have to have inside? Pilot and Highlander are solid choices for appliance vehicles. But they are holding their value.
We have found models around $30k that have the features we want for all of those models new or used. We don't need a ton of options.

I saw a brand new Grand Highlander at the Costco parking lot. People were filling it up with their purchases. White with red leather interior. Beautiful thing it was.

not in the market but seeing several Mazda CX 30's around, NICE but smallish for some + the basic one is about 30 G, as noted you might find a nice preowned mid size. happy shopping!!

I just bought a 2023 Ford Escape ST-Line a couple weeks ago. I had a 2022 Escape SE prior to it. The 2023 has a major upgrade to the Sync/display and has a lot more options than the 22. The 22 could have carried me to my grave. The 23 will do so with more comfort and other options. I've got one of the best ever Ford dealers too so that is another plus. Good luck figuring it out.

For Highlander stick to '22 - '20 model years. In 2019 issues went way up and 2015 being the absolute worst in the last decade. Check them out on www.carcomplaints.com.
2015 will be fine. 6speed, 2GR-FE.
The issues really started with 2GR-FKS engine and 8speed. Toyota somehow managed to avoid recall in 2017 for their horrid transmission issues, and quietly fixed it for 2018 and later.
For grocery getting duties it will be fine. People get in trouble with them thinking they are indestructible, and in reality they are seriously under engineered.

EDIT to ask:
Can anyone comment on the mazda 2.5 NA motor and trans? When we test drove it, it seemed a little sluggish which is fine for what it is BUT I did floor it a couple of times and the transmission didn't seem to know which gear to select. It took what felt like a full second for the car to decide to do anything. And the trans was pretty notchy. Sport mode certainly did not help and only made the car rev hang. I'm curious if there is a break in period and the if the computer will learn and smooth this out over time. OR if this is just the nature of that platform. Because, considering thr price, everything else was very nice on the mazdas.
I test drove a new CX5 not too long ago and honestly I don't recall any of the issues you noted. Not a speed demon, but nothing to complain about either.

Maybe test drive another one?

Back