SUV choices under $30k

Update:

Wife made a decision that she liked the Kia Sportage X Pro with the 2.5 NA she looked at. It is larger than the Mazda 5/50 she liked and the Kia interior feels and looks pretty darn good for the price.

So this morning we signed a 3 year lease deal for $400/month.

I just hope it holds up. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Congratulations on the making the wife happy! I think you’ll be fine, just keep up with maintenance, as you should with anything, and enjoy the new ride. I looked one up and they’re pretty cool looking rigs, the interior is nice. 👍🍻

Update:

Wife made a decision that she liked the Kia Sportage X Pro with the 2.5 NA she looked at. It is larger than the Mazda 5/50 she liked and the Kia interior feels and looks pretty darn good for the price.

So this morning we signed a 3 year lease deal for $400/month.

I just hope it holds up. Thanks for all the suggestions!
It will hold up as dealer/Kia is on hook with the warranty. At the end you return keys for the $14.5k.

It kills me that the Nissan Rogue is never mentioned. They are such great vehicles! So many people put it down for the CVT, yet so many complain about Honda and all their maintenance issues, or KIA/Hyundai whose engines blow, Subaru head gaskets and poor mpg, etc.

Rogues need the CVT fluid changed every 30k miles and they are flawless otherwise. We have 4 in the family (including extended family). There would be 5 if not for a meth head taking one out. That had 150k+ on the original CVT.

Enjoy your KIA. My rant is a general statement about the recommendations in the post. In truth, I would own a Toyota if I could afford one. Since I can’t, I drive Nissan.

Wife decided she wants to upgrade the family SUV and is looking for a midsized option.
Go ahead flame me but to ignore this option because of mis-information is silly ... and that is ok but to me, silly to ignore this vehicle.
I bought 2017 Certified some years back also with factory tow package (hard to find) but was a must as I tow sometimes. 6 years and 60,000+ miles never a repair yet. I do think important to make sure of the transmission flush every 40K well at least in a vehicle you tow with.

No concerns if "GM Certified" Warranty includes I think 100k on the power train and bumper to bumper on most other stuff for 12 month, no collisions ect ... ect .. check details.

AS far as power, if you wanted to, not that you would, but after 6 trips to Florida last year (maybe 7) this vehicle can travel 90+ MPH all day long as silky smooth and amazingly quiet .
...and after all this I realize its an older thread and you bought a Kia. Good luck with the new car.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for something like that myself. I just cruise my neighborhood looking for private sales. Maybe some elderly woman trying to sell off something because her husband is no longer around.

Toyota...Highlander or 4Runner. *I'm biased, though. :giggle:

I'll add to the list

Lexus GX 470 or 460

You can find a 460 for under $30K

GX 460 ran from 2010-current.....470 was prior

Pic........wife's '11 GX 460.......132K miles & she luvs it.....18-20 mpg

Lexus uses the best of the best Toyota employees to build Lexus

yqvT5xt.jpg

Back