Mother is looking for a new car, need advice.

My mother is getting ready to shop for a new vehicle, and has a 300/mo cap on her monthly payments.

She's looking at Kia and Ford.

I'm not well versed on Kia but I did run into a old friend earlier this year who works at a Ford dealership. He says his bread and butter is replacing headgaskets. I'm assuming he's referring to the ecoboost lineup.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what would fit her price range and which Kia and Fords to steer clear from?

Oh and she wants a small SUV. Merry Christmas everyone.

Steer clear of all of them. Go shop for a Toyota.
I just told her the local Carmax has a 43k mile 2018 Rav 4 for 26k before fees and taxes. She's going to have to fork up a down payment if she wants something newer.

I am not sure that is a deal. You can get a brand new Rav4 LE for just over $30K still with better financing rates likely. Corrolla Cross you can find for under $30K new.
Yeah Carmax is known to price gouge but they would work with her on her credit.

As others have posted, $300 per month today is slim pickens... Good luck. I would see if family or friends have something they are willing to cut loose.
Good luck.
My old 2009 Buick was 17.5k dollars at 3 years old and I walked away with $219 dollar a month payments.

In hindsight I did put 4k down and my grandfather co-signed.

I'm staying clear of HR-V. My buddies girl had a 2016 and the transmission failed a locked up on the interstate. Could've ended up with her dead.

That's still better than Ford's transmission track record :sneaky:

Changing the CVT fluid on a Honda is very easy, even easier than changing the oil.

Well, that leaves Toyota then. The C-HR and Corolla Cross are quality cars that will last a long time with no problems and easy on the wallet other than the initial purchase price :)

My mother is getting ready to shop for a new vehicle, and has a 300/mo cap on her monthly payments.

She's looking at Kia and Ford.

I'm not well versed on Kia but I did run into a old friend earlier this year who works at a Ford dealership. He says his bread and butter is replacing headgaskets. I'm assuming he's referring to the ecoboost lineup.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what would fit her price range and which Kia and Fords to steer clear from?

Oh and she wants a small SUV. Merry Christmas everyone.
The ford edge Is great and the escape is very good. Both have great incentives now and could probably get in that 300 window on a low mileage lease with a trade in. Im not salesmen but I just bought one and mom leased one. The edge is tried and true and in last year of production. all bugs are out of that one.

Interest rates have come down a bit from even a couple months ago. It would make sense to get qualified from her bank beforehand, so at least she has a starting point and doesn't get scammed by the fast talking F&I guy.

Back