The wife needs a new (used) car

Ford Fusion Hybrid. 40mpg all day long. My employer literally has hundreds of them in their fleet.

+1. These things are cushy highway cruisers, I averaged 43mpg at 75mph from Tulsa to Chicago, and feels like a minivan. Lots of passenger space, basic to work on (except the hybrid stuff), easy on the eyes to clean, zero trunk space.

Oh, I agree, they probably don't. But it's funny if you remember where the forum's "Crown Vics for Everyone!" mantra came from.... I'll have to see if I can find the thread.
Oh yeah that was pretty popular on other forums too like Fatwallet before it shut down. There it made sense to recommend the Crown Vic. Plus their other standard comment was to pay your bills deadbeat.

If your federal tax liability hits $4502 I'd stretch and get a new Prius Prime. Don't blow this idea off until you check all the incentives.

Used prii have a straight-line depreciation curve. People in your situation buy the good ones, running the price up, and doordash/ uber buy the beaters and run them to death.

Can you describe the incentives?
When I got mine in 2/2021 in Maine I got

~2k off from the dealer
$1k rebate from the state
$4500 rebate from toyota
$500 rebate for using toyota financing (You can it off with the first bill.)
$4502 income tax credit.

I also missed out on a $750 "uber driver professional courtesy" I found out about as I was closing on it.

However, many of these incentives are no longer available or vary by state to state. Additionally, toyota dealer groups vary incentives by region. The Northeast is known for being generous.

What. Does. She. Want?

with that said, ford maverick.
She wants me to find her a good, reliable commuter car. Initially, she just wanted to run the wheels off her Expedition, but she did the math herself and realized that wasn't a great idea.

Personally, I would be keeping any Mavericks for myself...

1970-ford-maverick

Good luck. I set out to buy a $10k vehicle and was so frustrated just gave into the $3500 premium at least on used vehicles and ended with a 2013 Acura ILX with 90k.

2006-2008 Mazda6I

2006-2007 Accord I4

2011 Camry I4

they all should be cheap with high value at that price range

If I needed a car, I’d really entertain a Kia Soul. Decent mileage, spacious, and 4 doors. I am just not sure on their overall reliability.

Having just been in your situation, I was finally down to a 2019 Rouge SL with 15k miles or a 2020 Altima SV with 16k miles. I bought the Rouge. My experience with Nissan CVT’s has been fantastic, so I don’t worry about that. We still have one in the family with near 140k miles on the original transmission, which spent the first 100 on the highway exclusively.

I considered Fusion 2.5 cars and Toyota Camry (I currently have a 2009 Camry, and a 2000 is still in the family)

The best bang for my buck was the 2 Nissan Vehicles. They were both in the lower $30’s, well above my $20k goal, but not someone’s else’s used up pile. I needed to find a car rather quickly. I’m sure with some time you could find a nicer higher mileage car.

Back