Mother is looking for a new car, need advice.

Miles per year of driving? whatever it is, is going to be older and that much closer to needing work.

If she undershoots the $300/month requirement, will she put the difference into a jar for repairs?

I think the Mazda CX-30 is sitting in a sweet spot at the moment.

'Normal' 6 Speed auto trans
No Turbo

I'm trying to gently persuade my wife into heading that direction as it is getting just about time to replace the 2003 Accord. It still runs great but man is it rough around the edges.. That car owes me nothing at almost 300K.

1. Mazda CX-5, but given the $300 cap (and a reserve for tires and maintenance) it means an early 1st generation car (2013, 14)

2. 2.4L Honda CRV, (1.5L turbo and/or CVT only if you see that the prior owners were
very loving with their oil changes)

3. RAV4

those are great cars and definitely a great buy at $300ish even with the miles, standard used car buying advice applies!

Back of the napkin math or use a edmunds auto calc leaving out taxes fees, and giving you 0% loan

You need a car that can be had for 18000 new or used.

I would say you need to haggle a new ice only corolla. Its in the realm of possibility if she forgos the suv only requirement. If not i wonder if a base corolla cross ice only end of year meet quota special.

Looks like you can get a new Corolla for $22,500.

Shopping for a new car, this week is the week to do it. Dealers are willing to make some deals. If she waits until next week she's probably gonna be raked over the coals.

Don't tell the dealer how much she's willing to spend per($300) month. They will make sure that she spends that much or even more.
Is your mom going to keep the car for a long time?
Does she need a car right now or can she take her time?
Test drive, test drive, test drive. OR LEASE!

Don't tell the dealer how much she's willing to spend per($300) month. They will make sure that she spends that much or even more.
Is your mom going to keep the car for a long time?
Does she need a car right now or can she take her time?
Test drive, test drive, test drive. OR LEASE!
Dont fleece a car....

Take a look at the Subaru Outback. I say this because two years ago my then 81 year old father was driving his 2014 Outback when he turned into the path of an oncoming dump truck (39,000 lbs!) that was traveling 35-40 MPH. The dump truck hit him diagonally in the front passenger side quarter panel and door, over road his Subaru partially, and came to rest on top of the occupant crash structure. When the cops got there, my father had already opened his own door and was out of the vehicle. He walked away with a minor scuff mark on his cheek from the airbag.

Moral of the story, old people can do dumb things when driving, put your mum in the safest thing available. Check IIHS before making any buying decisions. I still have a dad because I shopped using IIHS recommendations.

My mother is getting ready to shop for a new vehicle, and has a 300/mo cap on her monthly payments.

She's looking at Kia and Ford.

I'm not well versed on Kia but I did run into a old friend earlier this year who works at a Ford dealership. He says his bread and butter is replacing headgaskets. I'm assuming he's referring to the ecoboost lineup.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what would fit her price range and which Kia and Fords to steer clear from?

Oh and she wants a small SUV. Merry Christmas everyone.
Kia forte or soul with the 2.0 that should be the port injection motor.

Kia forte or soul with the 2.0 that should be the port injection motor.
Along with the Hyundai Elantra. I think I'd stay away from GDI or turbo Hyundai/Kia products. Hyundai, and I believe Kia too, currently have 3.75% financing for 60 on these and that would help some with the monthly budget. Even with that some money down is going to be required to keep the payment under $300. The base Elantra SE is in the $22k(ish) range and has a ton of standard equipment. The Kia Forte is right there at roughly the same price point with slightly less standard equipment.

Subaru's are gonna be a hit or miss. You either get a good one, or one that's plagued with problems. After having a so-so one I probably wouldn't recommend one, but I will not stop anybody from getting one. I didn't have a good experience, but many others have had no issues.

I would never put my mother in a penalty box that is the Chevy Trax, sorry. They're cheap for a reason.

Finding a Toyota SUV in that price range is going to be tough. A Corolla can be had for the range you're looking for, but a decent Rav4 (or the like) is gonna be hard to track down.

Hyundai/Kia can be ok if someone did the maintenance on it. They're one of the most neglected vehicles out there, so you gotta look at the history.

Example Mazda still uses a regular trans not the cvt
6000 down with good credit gets you at 300 a month for 72 months
Certified used, 100k power terrain warrenty
Your location price might differ a bit
Screenshot_20231225_073849_CarGurus.jpg

Last edited:
Back