can u get a reliable used car for under $3k anymore?

If your planning to buy southern definitely have a local check it out first - because I would say half of the used cars here originate up North, because used cars in general cost more here, and Southern cars are Shipped North and sold as Rust free southern cars. Might be different out West - were likely too close to the Northeast making the shipping affordable.
You're right, I bought my tow dolly from a guy who ran up and down the Atlantic corridor bringing uninspectable, rusted out junk to a state without inspections... Could have been SC, honestly. He had a buddy with a BHPH lot who loved the things. Dude even told me if someone bought a car there "they've made some mistakes in life." 🤬

Can barely find new ones that run well.

They “start” at over 5 here…

Last car I saw at 3k was ready for the junkyard…..

To those saying you cant find a car that runs well under $5, There are tons of good condition vehicles now that are beater priced, just can’t be picky on what badge or powertrain it employs.

Last time I tried to sell my clean 2010 Cobalt with 85,000 miles $1500 would have required a great deal of luck, certain cars still have no value, especially in the wrong area.

Last edited:
To those saying you can find a car that runs well under $5, There are tons of good condition vehicles now that are beater priced, just can’t be picky on what badge or powertrain it employs.

Last time I tried to sell my clean 2010 Cobalt with 85,000 miles $1500 would have required a great deal of luck, certain cars still have no value, especially in the wrong area.

You have to know the area. I have junk cars in my area that can easily go for 3k. Everyone asks high here, and I’ve found even private sales can still get close to what might be on a dealers lot…. I watched a neighbor unload a 2013 Sentra with 120k for close to 7k. Normally a 11 year old compact might go for 2500-3k in good shape.

If I could find that Cobalt for 1500, it would be gone today….. :)

I just looked and I’m seeing 2006 ish era Mazda 6’s for a little more than that. So I’d say yes you can. Anything OLD is going to have wear items that need to be maintained.

Such a cool car.

To those saying you cant find a car that runs well under $5, There are tons of good condition vehicles now that are beater priced, just can’t be picky on what badge or powertrain it employs.

My 08 Silverado with 245k only got 2400, was a 2wd being sold in November in Maine.

hard to say. Every vehicle needs something and usually the owner puts off something especially when they're just tired of it and getting ready to sell.

I picked up a $3,600 05’ Nissan Xterra with 196,000 miles. Cosmetically it’s not pretty, and there are a few quirks and issues with them if you know what to look for. Having said that I’ve had the front end replaced and valve covers done. I change my own fluids. It’s been great. No coolant mixing with trans (common) because I bypassed the radiator. It has 203,000 miles currently. It’s one of my favorite vehicles I’ve owned. The 4.0 V6 and 5 speed auto are still stout even today. 🙂

If the ol' 3800 is as good as everyone says it is, then this seems like a good deal. Hopefully the rest of this GM product can stay together for as long as the 3800 lives.
View attachment 204085
I have to ask what are people doing on this board with their GMs? My whole fleet is GM to include a 2005 Lacrosse 3800/4T65E I am at 150,000 now on it I picked up with 124,000 on it. I did the intake gasket first week, brakes, and a wheel bearing. I paid 3800 bucks for it. The rest of the car is just fine. What do you think will break? Both my kids drive this thing. The wife's 2.0 Malibu just hit 100,000 miles I have fixed one broken bolt on it. Does not use oil like the current Hondas or chuck engines out like Hyundai/Kia. The Jetta I owned makes the Malibu look like the pinnacle of automotive excellence. I also have a 2003 GMT 800 with 270,000 miles on it and the 2000 WS6 with well over 600 1/4 mile passes on it. It is still together. Listening to you guys I should be broke. I am in fact, not.

Op 3000 dollars is pretty hard anymore. You might have to be handy with some of the repairs if you do find the right one.

Last edited:
I'm a closet GM fan, but I'll admit their chassis quality in this era wasn't the greatest.

However, a lot of it was a function of environment. Probably fine cars where rot isn't a concern. Where it is, things weren't good. For example, GM used regular cheap galvanized fluid lines a decade later than everyone else. You could buy a 60k Cadillac and pop brake lines in less than 10 years while your neighbor in his Honda Accord would never know what brake lines are. Subframes falling out of FWD GM products were a concern in this era.

And, of course, the 90's-2000's GM plastic interiors eventually became famous.

A good engine that runs miles doesn't make a good car.

Let someone drive my Lexus...and now it's gone forever. We'll leave it at that.

Anyways, I ended up with a new daily driver. One-owner 2009 Pontiac Vibe. It's base, but optioned with the 2.4L (2AZ gang!). Has 164.9k miles, and I got it for $2900. Clean title. Original owner says it consumes no oil between oil changes. Time will show if he was saying the truth...
Will need a roof and hood repaint (not a need, but my want) due to sun and rock chips.
Instantly made the 2 hour drive home without issues. So I'd say reliable cars under $3k are still out there.
1000015864.jpg

Anyways, I ended up with a new daily driver. One-owner 2009 Pontiac Vibe. It's base, but optioned with the 2.4L (2AZ gang!). Has 164.9k miles, and I got it for $2900. Clean title. Original owner says it consumes no oil between oil changes. Time will show if he was saying the truth...
Will need a roof and hood repaint (not a need, but my want) due to sun and rock chips.
Instantly made the 2 hour drive home without issues. So I'd say reliable cars under $3k are still out there.
View attachment 205234
I would have jumped on that deal too. Money well spent if you get even a couple of years service out of it. I owned a 1.8L Matrix for several years as my daily driver and really liked it.

I would have jumped on that deal too. Money well spent if you get even a couple of years service out of it. I owned a 1.8L Matrix for several years as my daily driver and really liked it.
I used to own a 2003 Vibe, and 2008 Vibe AWD. Both 1.8L powered, 1ZZ engine. Then I owned a 2009 Scion xB with the 2.4L, 2AZ engine. So now this 2009 Vibe is like a combo: Vibe/Matrix heritage, with same drivetrain as the Scion was. Gets better MPG than Scion ever did though, just slightly less than 1.8L Vibes did.

View attachment 205234
Oh no the Lexus you just got!? Sorry to hear, but nice score. My Crown Vic just keeps chugging along but I always thought a matrix or vibe would make a great replacement for commuting duties.

So since i'm back into the "zero properly working vehicles" status right now i'm having to consider whether to throw more money at repairing something I thought would last a bit longer vs replacing it.

Replacing it is the demon you dont know replacing what you have though. I've already lost thousands playing the "just one more repair then it should be good for awhile" game with three cars in the last few years and between them I could have already bought a car more than 3k if i'd known it would go that way. But you never know it will go that way. :-/ Am I really the only one existing on hope and debt and trying to not lose my house during cancer making me disabled? Poor is poor, and all the wishing in the world cant make me afford something I can't afford either as a vehicle or repair costs I am stuck with once I already have the vehicle. Like if i'd known my truck would dump its trans at 60k I would have sold it but obviously you never know.

I know you can always "luck out" but what is YOUR best strategy (and could you critique mine) for trying to find a car you dont mind your wife driving 250 miles away late at night in freezing winter back and forth? I can drive the beater around town, or I can risk my life dying so she gets the life insurance at this point in my life, but I need her to have the highway travel safe vehicle including that it wont break down at 3am in a blizzard.

I'm looking at the whole picture - total costs, not just the up front cost of a car. Buying a car that needs a $1000 timing belt in another 5000 miles makes a $3000 car into a $4000 car. Gas costs really add up. Maintenance costs add up. Consumables like tires - that 4cyl compact is alot cheaper to tire than an SUV tho a few hundred every few years isnt the biggest thing. Insurance sometimes can but I wouldn't expect anything 'sporty' and still high insurance for ppl over 40 to change much.

I picked $3000 because you used to be able to get a decent used car for that. The market may be radically different now but I haven't shopped in forever, maybe the figure is $5000.

My first strategy in the past was to look for a market disfavored car which was not about being unreliable. I don't care at all whats cool or trendy - give me one of those 96-99 ford tauruses with the ugly ovals. The used value of them crashed instantly. Or a Pontiac Aztek before breaking bad..

Market disfavored choices seem to include 4 cylinders in the age of the v6. I dont care about power - as long as the MPG is also reliable sometimes a v6 is more reliable in certain makes.

Toyotas and Hondas are great used but the price also shows that and everyone wants them - domestics have a big drop in value and I would argue your chances are better to get a good condition, lower mileage, good-chance-to-be-reliable car. As near as I can tell a Buick isn't much less reliable than a toyota, and doesn't cost much different to fix than a base model GM, but used will cost notably less. If I had plenty of money like 12k, sure, give me that honda or toyota. But I don't. So what do you look for at the lower end of the barrel?

I personally dont trust FWD automatics over 200k - a stick shift I can change a clutch in, and if a new clutch is in I can probably rely on it for another 100-200k. An automatic with high miles to me is a wildcard on borrowed time. Also no dodge FWD automatics of any age - have they ever made a good one like ever? :p And none of these newer dang 5 speed or more automatics, they all cost twice as much to fix or replace for questionable gain IMHO let alone a CVT. IF you are able to wrench on a car (i'm medically not, possibly permanently, if I get better though i'll be considering this strongly) i'd rather have something I can pick up a class A quality junkyard pull trans to swap in for under $1000 or that brand new is under $2000.

I'm worried about timing belts cuz thats a known expensive cost - without documentation of it being done I assume it wasnt. I love cars with no timing belt to worry about - my old Saturn SL (if I can get it running again, it just needs a clutch but i'm crippled and its cold now) was great, I dont know which other 4cyls dont have that problem. Buick 3800's have a timing chain I think, all small block chevy v8's do but i'm less keen on fullsizes or SUV pickup anything for low total cost due to gas. But it's why I wasnt rushing to get rid of my Caprice if I could keep it going a bit longer. Feel free to braindump if you know others in this category that are free of this achilles heel. :^)

The most obvious of all - if somebody actually has one of those cherry or creampuff cars where some elderly person bought it, has full service records, mostly or always garaged, not abused or poorly treated, sometimes literally only driven to church on sunday. But not one of the fancy ones - the Cadillacs seem to ding you on costs again so Buick is as high as it goes. To me it seems like the ideal car is a grandma driven buick 4 cylinder with low miles and full service records but it's near 20 years old and because theyre so uncool nobody under 40 would be seen dead in it. :^)

I remember seeing buick century's like this on a not irregularily for $1000 with less than 100k miles cuz nobody wanted grandma's 4cyl - this is awhile ago mind you, but not forever ago like those iron duke 2.5L's that would go 300k you'd have alot of life left. With inflation that's the reliable $3000 car today tho. I'm not sure what cars have replaced this since it's been too long since i've compulsively researched it all.

I've also been partial to RWD domestics like a crown vic or caprice IF its well taken care of but the MPG seems to eat away at you one tank at a time, but otherwise i've always said those are the cars that will last you to 300-350k better than a FWD one usually due to better transmissions and no CV joints to fail by then. (you can tell me i'm wrong on this - these have just been my assumptions for a long time) Plus they can have a fender bender without screwing up a unibody frame even if you dont repair it often and it's light. But i'm learning age alone has it's problems as well - suspension bushings and wear points, even if your major engine/trans/powertrain issues are of less concern, and the caprice I have unfortunately isn't really a keeper. Maybe I should go look at ex-cop cars on auction, hmm...

Something like a hail damaged car can be a great value and has never bothered me - if grandma's buick was out in the rain and insurance already paid so they're selling it for less. This isn't impact damage on a unibody and it doesnt take away from mechanical reliability in any way.

More easily serviceable cars makes a difference if you can DIY - like I put a water pump in my saturn and it was almost less complicated than a brake job it was so easy. The one on a ford taurus is a nightmare involving removing the manifold and they fail ALOT just after 100k (and mine did making me have to park it) being another achilles heel. It's identifying those problem areas that's such a big thing for me, potential surprise points, and some of them a mechanics inspection cant tell you if you have a grenade. Sometimes the best thing is documentation that it already happened and someone serviced it so at least it shouldn't bother you for another 100k hopefully. :- P But dang those Saturns are easy to work on by comparison, i'd love to have another one.

Feel free to disagree with me on ANY point, i'd LOVE to hear feedback including about what i'm wrong about. I'm here to learn. Because i'll be buying 1 or more vehicles in the next 1-2 years and decided it's time to update my knowledge base.

I have my own reasons for my opinions, but there are probably people here with 10x my knowledge on the topic. :) I'd mostly like to know additional points, or fleshing out this 'outline', or finding out what good engines, transmissions, makes, models change my analysis around. (like maybe kias or hyundais are reliable now but still cheap to fix or other things) Or other expense risks i'm not taking into account here. How low can you set the bar and still get a RELIABLE car that should last you another 100k miles or more with no huge issues (transmissions, engines, minimizing the $1000+ repair jobs)
I bought a 72 Datsun 1200 coupe in 79 for about $100. Thoroughly clapped out 180,000 + miles. Nursed it for a year then rebuilt engine and front suspension. Had about $1500 in it. People thought I was crazy. It's sitting in the back pasture now. 800,000 miles on it. No car payments and nothing but liability insurance enabled me to buy 10 acres and build a 2400 SF house. No Mortgage either. Who's crazy now?

You buy a $3000 dollar car, put another $1000 or more in it you don't have a 4 or 5 thousand dollar car that needs a repair pretty soon, you got one that's all sorted out and ready for another 100,000.

I bought a 72 Datsun 1200 coupe in 79 for about $100. Thoroughly clapped out 180,000 + miles. Nursed it for a year then rebuilt engine and front suspension. Had about $1500 in it. People thought I was crazy. It's sitting in the back pasture now. 800,000 miles on it. No car payments and nothing but liability insurance enabled me to buy 10 acres and build a 2400 SF house. No Mortgage either. Who's crazy now?

You buy a $3000 dollar car, put another $1000 or more in it you don't have a 4 or 5 thousand dollar car that needs a repair pretty soon, you got one that's all sorted out and ready for another 100,000.
Not having full coverage will not enable you to do those things in Central Texas in 2024. Oh sure, it won't hurt, but unless you're willing to go out west of Burnet you're not going to get 10 acres for anything reasonable. Not to mention the house.

Back