Transition from Minivan to bigger Mid-sized SUV

I’d wait on buying if possible, I can’t see the current situation lasting. JMHO.

Are roof cargo carriers out? or a box on a trailer hitch? those can be sketchy but maybe it’d be enough.

I don’t disagree. I’ve told her it’s really not financially a great idea. We always buy our cars about 3-4 years old, get half or better off new MSRP…but that isn’t even possible these days. A used car that new is basically paying for a new car with 50-100k on it already.

We really don’t need to get rid of the van, and I don’t want to, but if the other half can find MSRP or better and thinks one of these SUVs fit our needs, I don’t think there’s any talking her out of it. She’s sick of the minivan life.

We really don’t need to get rid of the van, and I don’t want to, but if the other half can find MSRP or better and thinks one of these SUVs fit our needs, I don’t think there’s any talking her out of it. She’s sick of the minivan life.
You're going to get mission creep if you keep going down this road.

Approve the idea of buying at MSRP then the car she wants will be "MSRP Plus Doc Fees plus the Tru-Coat" and everyone will think you're being mean and not supportive.

This pand***c has people restless for new stuff and new experiences, the classic money-burning-hole-in-pocket. If she can wait a year or two, the Telluride she wants will evolve into a new and improved v 2.0 and the old body style will go on closeout.

Really, it seems like the only time the van is insufficient is the couple times a year you go camping. Get a cargo carrier like Supton says and leave the cooler on that.

Yeah, any 3rd row in an SUV I’ve found to be worthless. It’d really only be for kids when we have the grandparents in the car, or other kids if carpooling for something. Our Sienna 3rd row gets used MAYBE 2 times a year.

Are dealers not advertising above MSRP? I know one local to me is, the rest are just advertising the MSRP, so I assumed that’s what they are selling for. We don’t have a ton of time to waste at a dealer if they’re all just playing games and going to tack on their 5k high demand $$ still.
Some are adding mandatory packages even if selling at MSRP. For example-on another forum one dealer has added a $2,999.00 Ceramic Pkg. for the paint. If you don't have time to waste stay away from dealers. Here is the rub-NOW the dealer can afford to play games with you. You don't like the games? The next person will buy the SUV......

BTW-all these add ons are never disclosed on the website.........

Last edited:
I’d say Expedition Max or Suburban/Yukon XL or keep the minivan. You are going to hate the size of any midsize SUV if you have cargo and family and a Sienna is tight. My wife is on her second long wheelbase GM product and I have 3 kids under 8 and a dog. I can’t see us fitting in anything other than a minivan if we were to switch and vans can’t tow much. I hate being cramped and am 6’4” and my kids or adults fit really well in our 2021 Suburban in any row. I hate the pricing going on right now and paid MSRP for the Suburban which was at least offset by the high value of the 2017 Denali. Good luck!

Well if you fill up a Sienna, that's gonna be a hard bill to fill with a mid-size SUV. I would throw the Dodge Durango into the mix if that's the route you're going.
Just like Nick1994 said, it's long in the tooth, but IMO, that's a good thing because it's been tried and tested. It's been around a long time and the 3.6 Pentastar and the 8 speed are a good combo. Cheers! 🍻

Minivans best space until you want to pay for a current gen suburban or a full size van like Savannah passenger.

Look at the hybrid options.

Sienna Hybrid vs Highlander Hybrid. The mpg's are a great consideration vs non-hybrid options.

I like my 12.3" screen, panoramic sunroof, and "Trail" mode for stickier situations that one can not get on a Sienna, including the Woodlands edition. Plus the hitch on the Highlander doesn't hang low like the Sienna (the Sienna hitch, you can see the crossbar below the bumper).

Joshua tree by thisistan, on Flickr

If you are just a family of 4 a bigger SUVs won't give you that much more space. Are you willing to put more luggage on the roof? If so add a roof rack on top (not just 2 bars, with a flat grill so you can tie suitcases on it), and let your dog stay in the rear hatch area.

If that still doesn't work SUV is not the answer, Econoline or other "minibus" vehicles like Sprinter is the answer. You sure you want to go that far?

If it is just for vacation, maybe renting an Econoline once in a while is the better solution.

If you are just a family of 4 a bigger SUVs won't give you that much more space. Are you willing to put more luggage on the roof? If so add a roof rack on top (not just 2 bars, with a flat grill so you can tie suitcases on it), and let your dog stay in the rear hatch area.

If that still doesn't work SUV is not the answer, Econoline or other "minibus" vehicles like Sprinter is the answer. You sure you want to go that far?

If it is just for vacation, maybe renting an Econoline once in a while is the better solution.
A cargo basket is horrible for drag, then you add luggage on top that is poor secured (and also in the security standpoint).

Cargo boxes are better for drag and security. Not to mention, if it's for skis and snowboards, keeps the road grime off of them, so you can enjoy them on the mountain

Untitled by thisistan, on Flickr

Let her get whatever she wants. Then buy yourself a full size pickup for camping duty. On second thought, maybe take her to test drive the pickup first . . .

I’d love it if she’d drive a pickup. She’s not interested in it, though. I’d drive a pick up but I commute about 60-70 miles round trip, it doesn’t make a ton of sense for me.

The van isn’t insufficient…she’s just tired of it and wants an SUV. An SUV is going to be insufficient for us as we’re used to about 80 cubic feet of cargo space, the biggest SUVs we’re interested in are about 46 cubic feet. I don’t think she realizes how big of a difference that is.

We’ll see how it goes. She’s already finding that dealers are adding those BS fees, even if “selling at MSRP.” She’s found one that racks on a 3k fee that she didn’t understand…as someone here stated.

Just inked a deal on a 22 Yukon XL. Plenty of dealers out there on the GM side with no markups. Inventory is the problem but that seems to be turning a corner.

Just inked a deal on a 22 Yukon XL. Plenty of dealers out there on the GM side with no markups. Inventory is the problem but that seems to be turning a corner.
Yes-if you don't mind-share what the "deal" is. You are anonymous. Were there any "extras" added? Extended warranty, paint protection, etc?

Last edited:
Sounds like you just want a change, and thats plenty reason to change. Perhaps consider my strategy in this day and age.

Drive old, 10+ years, buy new later.

For me, a clean 2005 escalade is perfect. It wont lose value until i can buy a new vehicle on great terms. Its plenty nice and enjoyable to drive for a year or three until cars are in correction territory and on sale.

Back