BIG mid-sized SUV knowledge

I’m 6’4” and actually needed to slide the atlas seats up from the full back position. Not much, but still not fully back. I never do that in any car.

Someone said to you that the 2.0T had plenty of power down low. In my opinion (not trying to cause problems, just my opinion) it did not have plenty down low, but that’s just my opinion. The v6 had plenty. And I don’t just hate 4cylinder…I’ actually in favor in order to make maintaining it cheaper and easier…we just drove a 2.4T Highlander today and it seemed fine. The atlas just felt more gutless to us.
What you experience is turbo lag. Power is there, but it will have bit if turbo lag.
2.4 T in Toyota is 310lb-ft compared to 258lb-ft in Atlas. New 2024 Atlas is 269hp and 273lb-ft.
But, if you like VR6 in Atlas, go with it. It is unique engine and no one in that class has that sound.

What about the fact an LT Tahoe is like 13 grand more than the top of the line atlas sel premium r-line 4 motion vr6

I like tahoes but that’s a significant price difference

13 grand can be like 2 nice vacations maybe 3

What about the fact an LT Tahoe is like 13 grand more than the top of the line atlas sel premium r-line 4 motion vr6

I like tahoes but that’s a significant price difference

13 grand can be like 2 nice vacations maybe 3
I can’t say it is worth that much more than any other of these that would work for us. Just saying that it was nice. Their lifter and new DFM issues, not to mention their price tag, will keep us away.

What you experience is turbo lag. Power is there, but it will have bit if turbo lag.
2.4 T in Toyota is 310lb-ft compared to 258lb-ft in Atlas. New 2024 Atlas is 269hp and 273lb-ft.
But, if you like VR6 in Atlas, go with it. It is unique engine and no one in that class has that sound.
I understand turbo lag, I understand that it has the power, but it’s not down low where you use it. It had a severe lack of power down low. It really didn’t, in my opinion as well as my wife’s who isn’t a car enthusiast the least but.

Lack of power to the point that when we’re going to sports with an equipment and a grandma with us, or certainly going on vacation, it seems like it’d be completely inadequate power wise.

I understand turbo lag, I understand that it has the power, but it’s not down low where you use it. It had a severe lack of power down low. It really didn’t, in my opinion as well as my wife’s who isn’t a car enthusiast the least but.

Lack of power to the point that when we’re going to sports with an equipment and a grandma with us, or certainly going on vacation, it seems like it’d be completely inadequate power wise.
Idk. I don’t have issues blasting 100mph up 9% grade at 9,000ft. Trust me, no Hyundai Palisade or Toyota V6 is going to catch up.
Engine does require you to actually learn where the power is and how to modulate it.
But listen, you don’t like it, move on to another consideration. I would keep VR6 on the short list.

The Grand Highlander is just a less soccer-mommy Sienna. Why not consider a minivan - the fore mentioned Sienna is now a hybrid, not the most powerful compared to a Pentastar in a Pacifica, an Odyssey or the model it replaced but it does return good MPG for what it is.

Out of those 3, my vote is for Honda. VCM muzzler is a must. Honda has the most experience with the ZF 9HP, though they might have moved the 4th gen Pilot to their new in-house 10 speed. The Pentastar is by far Mopar’s best attempt at a V6 but it does have niggling issues that affect it.

I wouldn’t consider a suburban/Tahoe. Too big, drinks gas like an alcoholic in the city or mixed driving and handles clumsy - it’s a truck(Silverado) underneath for this use case. It’s a great truck for long trips and when you don’t need to park in the city, the mall or a strip mall.

Idk. I don’t have issues blasting 100mph up 9% grade at 9,000ft. Trust me, no Hyundai Palisade or Toyota V6 is going to catch up.
Engine does require you to actually learn where the power is and how to modulate it.
But listen, you don’t like it, move on to another consideration. I would keep VR6 on the short list.

At 9000 ft, you are absolutely right. But at closer to sea level, the VR6, Palisaide and Highlander V6's would walk away. When test driving all before purchase, that was our experience. I didn't find the 2.0T gutless, but it wasn't as satisfying as any of the 6 cylinder options. And I'm no longer interested in tuning.

I'm not one that has to disparage a brand to bring another one up. All these options are good ones. I would have no issue owning any.

Last edited:
The Grand Highlander is just a less soccer-mommy Sienna. Why not consider a minivan - the fore mentioned Sienna is now a hybrid, not the most powerful compared to a Pentastar in a Pacifica, an Odyssey or the model it replaced but it does return good MPG for what it is.

Out of those 3, my vote is for Honda. VCM muzzler is a must. Honda has the most experience with the ZF 9HP, though they might have moved the 4th gen Pilot to their new in-house 10 speed. The Pentastar is by far Mopar’s best attempt at a V6 but it does have niggling issues that affect it.

I wouldn’t consider a suburban/Tahoe. Too big, drinks gas like an alcoholic in the city or mixed driving and handles clumsy - it’s a truck(Silverado) underneath for this use case. It’s a great truck for long trips and when you don’t need to park in the city, the mall or a strip mall.
She is actually open to a van again now.

Odyssey is using a 10 speed now that so far has been less problematic than the 9 speed. I don’t know that it’s a Honda made or elsewhere made trans.

I have been reading up on muzzlers but it seems stupid. It piggybacks into the coolant temp sensor to make ecm see that the engine isn’t warmed up, so it won’t use cylinder deactivation? One of them claims it’s variable, not just a simple resistor, others seem to literally just be a resistor to keep coolant temp readout constant at like 160. Seems like you’re asking for more problems like fuel trims to be thrown off by an important sensor being skewed. But it seems like everyone uses them, and people claim there’s 2 ecm coolant temp sensors and fuel trims are adjusted based on another sensor? Idk, a lot to learn up on. Clear me up if I’m wrong please!

Not considering a new Sienna, they lost too much space inside and the hybrid is anemic…plus a huge wait for them.

And we aren’t against grand Highlander yet, but the price points (unavailable) and engines are the troubling points to us. In fact we’d like to like it the most as the trim packages suit our wants and needs pretty well, better than anything else considered.

Not going with the base 4cylinder hybrid, it’s gutless in a Sienna. Should be about the same in the grand highlander

Ther turbo 4 cylinder seemed ok in the small Highlander when we drove it. Sufficient. Couldn’t even tell it was a turbo really as the power was smooth and available with no lag. But given a bigger grand Highlander, not sure how it’ll do…I’m not convinced it’ll be enough for it.

Turbo 4 cylinder hybrid max is likely going to be out of a reasonable price point for what it is.

You may also want to review the Chrysler Pacifica and KIA Carnival if minivans are being considered.

The CX-90 has a flip up engine cover held down by a pair of toggles.

If you want cargo height then go with a minivan.

I didn't read every post so I don't know if the OP got a vehicle or not...
My wife wanted a Telluride a couple years ago. Looked nice enough but there was NO way I was paying ten grand over sticker.
We ended up with a 2021 Traverse. Front wheel drive. We're both very happy with it. It actually has more leg room than my 09 Suburban. It's easy to change oil on it. The only issue we had was the ballast for the passenger side headlight failed and no one had a replacement. I finally found one online.
I'm actually very surprised how much cra... I mean stuff we are able to get into the back of the Traverse.

The CX-90 has a flip up engine cover held down by a pair of toggles.

If you want cargo height then go with a minivan.
We need the cargo space of a van, she wanted nothing but to be done with being a van mom though. We’ve made what the palisade has to offer work for the time being, but given a decent offer we’re not hesitating to dump it. The dealer who’s been working on it was flat out honest with us and said even when they successfully fix them, they seem to come back a year or so later with something else in the drivetrain causing vibrations again.

We really looked forward to the cx90 and were first there to look at it when our dealer got one. It’s just too small inside.

I didn't read every post so I don't know if the OP got a vehicle or not...
My wife wanted a Telluride a couple years ago. Looked nice enough but there was NO way I was paying ten grand over sticker.
We ended up with a 2021 Traverse. Front wheel drive. We're both very happy with it. It actually has more leg room than my 09 Suburban. It's easy to change oil on it. The only issue we had was the ballast for the passenger side headlight failed and no one had a replacement. I finally found one online.
I'm actually very surprised how much cra... I mean stuff we are able to get into the back of the Traverse.
We haven’t yet. We did drive a traverse. We weren’t super impressed. It did offer a lot of cargo room though, for a mid sized SUV you can’t really get much more.

And we aren’t against grand Highlander yet, but the price points (unavailable) and engines are the troubling points to us. In fact we’d like to like it the most as the trim packages suit our wants and needs pretty well, better than anything else considered.

Not going with the base 4cylinder hybrid, it’s gutless in a Sienna. Should be about the same in the grand highlander

Ther turbo 4 cylinder seemed ok in the small Highlander when we drove it. Sufficient. Couldn’t even tell it was a turbo really as the power was smooth and available with no lag. But given a bigger grand Highlander, not sure how it’ll do…I’m not convinced it’ll be enough for it.

Turbo 4 cylinder hybrid max is likely going to be out of a reasonable price point for what it is.
GHL will be heavier than Sienna. Current HL is almost same weight and in some instances heavier, although it is smaller.
Hybrid from current HL will make GHL a Prius on the road.

GHL will be heavier than Sienna. Current HL is almost same weight and in some instances heavier, although it is smaller.
Hybrid from current HL will make GHL a Prius on the road.
We’d only be considering the gas only (turbo 4) or the hybrid max (turbo 4 hybrid) but I have a feeling the hybrid max would be priced out of our comfort zone, and worried the turbo 4 won’t be enough for the ghl.

We’d only be considering the gas only (turbo 4) or the hybrid max (turbo 4 hybrid) but I have a feeling the hybrid max would be priced out of our comfort zone, and worried the turbo 4 won’t be enough for the ghl.
Max will be $60k.
Turbo will be fine. HL in grand scheme of things is not heavy vehicle. 310lb-ft is enough for that vehicle. Torque is what matters in these cars. HP is pretty much irrelevant.

At 9000 ft, you are absolutely right. But at closer to sea level, the VR6, Palisaide and Highlander V6's would walk away. When test driving all before purchase, that was our experience. I didn't find the 2.0T gutless, but it wasn't as satisfying as any of the 6 cylinder options. And I'm no longer interested in tuning.

I'm not one that has to disparage a brand to bring another one up. All these options are good ones. I would have no issue owning any.
In every day driving? No. 0-60? Yes. They wouldn’t walk away, but would be faster.
In passing, or 40-60mph, or 40-80mph they would be equal.
In these vehicles it is all about torque.

Back