Transition from Minivan to bigger Mid-sized SUV

Yes-if you don't mind-share what the "deal" is. You are anonymous. Were there any "extras" added? Extended warranty, paint protection, etc?
See above. MSRP plus doc fee minus the military credit. 0 percent for 36 months, about the simplest deal possible.

I'm all for negotiation but in today's climate I was satisfied with no market adjustment.

Nice! I guess for what pickup trucks and SUVs go for these days, ~$60K for a 2022 Yukon XL isn't out to lunch.

Still more than twice what this old BITOG'r would ever be willing to spend on a daily driver. :ROFLMAO:

Nice! I guess for what pickup trucks and SUVs go for these days, ~$60K for a 2022 Yukon XL isn't out to lunch.

Still more than twice what this old BITOG'r would ever be willing to spend on a daily driver. :ROFLMAO:
Right? It was a huge mental shift, and still is. Made sense for us, we are in a similar situation as the OP.

Yeah, any 3rd row in an SUV I’ve found to be worthless. It’d really only be for kids when we have the grandparents in the car, or other kids if carpooling for something. Our Sienna 3rd row gets used MAYBE 2 times a year.

The 3rd row isn't horrible in our 2019 Pathfinder. I've rode back there when we had 7 people in it and I'm not a small dude. Even getting in/out of it isn't bad. The problem with 3rd rows in your average SUV is, if you are using the seat for passengers, you have very little room for stuff.

Not to mention the fact that the gas mileage for the Yukon XL and Suburban is a pretty miserable 14/19, not an insignificant factor considering the fact that gas prices are rapidly approaching $4/gal (and even $5/gal in some areas), and could go much higher than this.

See above. MSRP plus doc fee minus the military credit. 0 percent for 36 months, about the simplest deal possible.

I'm all for negotiation but in today's climate I was satisfied with no market adjustment.

Yea-you did as well as could be expected.

COINGRATS!

Right? It was a huge mental shift, and still is. Made sense for us, we are in a similar situation as the OP.
True. It's just that I got $13,000.00 off sticker when I bought my 2018 Silverado LTZ. Will we ever see these discounts again during "truck month"? I have serious doubts.

Not to mention the fact that the gas mileage for the Yukon XL and Suburban is a pretty miserable 14/19, not an insignificant factor considering the fact that gas prices are rapidly approaching $4/gal (and even $5/gal in some areas), and could go much higher than this.
Fact. I wish I could have benefitted from the drop in demand once gas prices affect the market. With interest rates on the rise though, grabbing the 0 percent was a consolation prize.

True. It's just that I got $13,000.00 off sticker when I bought my 2018 Silverado LTZ. Will we ever see these discounts again during "truck month"? I have serious doubts.
Right? With inflation continuing I figured I shouldn't wait for those historic deals :/

Reactions: CKN
Wait, you are cramped in Sienna, but thinking of Highlander or Telluride? Stop thinking, period!
The only family SUV close to Sienna is VW Atlas. But even that car fails space wise comparison.
We looked at the Telluride when it first came out, but you are correct. Little cargo room third row up.

A cargo basket is horrible for drag, then you add luggage on top that is poor secured (and also in the security standpoint).

Cargo boxes are better for drag and security. Not to mention, if it's for skis and snowboards, keeps the road grime off of them, so you can enjoy them on the mountain

Untitled by thisistan, on Flickr
Anyways, the idea is the same, just a matter of execution with a rack of luggage tied to the top, with a Mexican basket on top (according to my friend they do that in Mexico a lot, a wire mesh basket you put luggages in and tie down), or Yakima or Thule box on top. Sure the aerodynamic is bad but if your alternative is a large SUV you are going to be even worse when you don't need that much capacity, and when you are not using the rack you can always take it down and just drive it with no box no basket on top.

Wife probably won't like that kind of look because you are downgrading to low income large family status, rather than keeping up with the middle class Jones. However the realistic alternative as I said before is an Econoline or a trailer, and wife won't like the way it looks either (another low income large family status).

Seriously, we can't get self driving cars following the one in front of you soon enough. You can go on a trip with 2 cars and let 1 tailgate the other, and put all the luggages inside, you don't need no stinking large SUVs or pickup anymore.

You all keep mentioning VW Atlas…

1st of all, that goes against so many things for me…having been a mechanic in the real world from ‘01 to about 2013, I hated VW. High cost repairs, PITA repairs, etc.

But…if they’re really that much better now…their site sucks. But on local dealer sites I’m seeing there’s a 3.6v6 and a turbo 2.0 4 cylinder. Which is better and easier to service? Or will they be equally a PITA?

The only thing attracting me to them is they really do have significantly more cargo room, and they’re cheaper too.

I’ve been steered wrong by BITOG more than once, but I do value the opinions on here :). My Mazda has certainly not been a favorite car, regardless of how much everyone here loves them. And I put element 3 brakes on our van…definitely left something to be desired. But right now I’m all ears!

Happy to share any info you may want as we put miles on our Yukon. Check out diesel MPG if the gas data concerns you.

1st of all, that goes against so many things for me…having been a mechanic in the real world from ‘01 to about 2013, I hated VW. High cost repairs, PITA repairs, etc.

But…if they’re really that much better now…their site sucks. But on local dealer sites I’m seeing there’s a 3.6v6 and a turbo 2.0 4 cylinder. Which is better and easier to service? Or will they be equally a PITA?

The only thing attracting me to them is they really do have significantly more cargo room, and they’re cheaper too.

I’ve been steered wrong by BITOG more than once, but I do value the opinions on here :). My Mazda has certainly not been a favorite car, regardless of how much everyone here loves them. And I put element 3 brakes on our van…definitely left something to be desired. But right now I’m all ears!
The 2.0T costs less, and can get better mileage. But, the 2.0T isn't available in the upper trims (SEL R-line and SEL-Premium Rline).

Both are fairly easy to service for basic maintenance, since things like spark plugs are easily accessible. The narrow angle V6 aka VR6 means the rear bank of spark plugs isn't hiding under things like an intake manifold.

The Haldex coupling does require regular fluid drain and refills... VW advises every 3 years, but people usually do it every 40,000 miles. It does have a AISIN transmission, so you need a scan tool to service the drain & refills of the ATF fluid.

If it wasn't for the Highlander Hybrid AWD getting 35 mpg... I would be driving an Atlas.

No crossover or SUV will have more room than a minivan, except maybe the Rivian R1S, if you can afford it. The EV has no engine, so maybe there is more room in that.

OK-I will say it. Just get a Crown Vic! BITOG says they are the greatest vehicle known to mankind. And BITOG would never steer you wrong......

I am driving VW's all my life as private vehicles or fleet vehicles for my business, and would take it ANY time over anything Korean or Japanese.
Only reason why I have Toyota is minivan+AWD. If no AWD for me it stacks in same place with KIA, Honda, Chrysler. And yes, I would be driving Atlas now if space was not absolutely number 1 priority.
Atlas still drives good, regardless that is heavily tilted toward American market. VR6 has only one head, so spark plugs are breeze, plus has torque at much lower rpm's compared to counterparts from Asia. 2.0T is probably better option though. Lighter front end, more torque at lower rpms (1,600 peak to 5,000), and I think VW still offers APR tune and ability to keep warranty (300hp, 300lb-ft I think).
And it is better assembled than ANYTHING from Asia.

Back