Mid-Sized SUV...w/Comfortable Seats?

My wife has, and always has had back issues with vehicles. I have been looking for a mid-sized SUV with comfortable seats. There is no gray area here, with-in a couple blocks on a test drive she knows. It doesn’t seem like the options are any better now than they were years ago. Generally what I am looking for,
- Can take or leave the third seat...we have grand kids but would likely use this seating only a couple times per year
- Probably prefer no GDI or turbo...but this seems to be the way things are now
- CVT or conventional tranny...could go either way I guess. Folks seem to rag on CVT’s, yet these Aisin 8-speed tranny’s that seem to be everywhere these days aren’t exactly perfect either?
A well-appointed GC or Durango has port injection, the best 8spd on the market and power lumbar with heated/cooled front seats in the higher trim models. Trans programming isn't quite as "crisp" as say BMW's of the same box (per QP's observations) but it is quite competent, unlike what i've heard about Toyota's 8spd.

Unfortunately:
- Not interested in the Big Three...
Kind of of rules that out 🤷‍♂️

As a few others have suggested, it really sounds like you need to have a number of test drives and see what fits.

A well-appointed GC or Durango has port injection, the best 8spd on the market and power lumbar with heated/cooled front seats in the higher trim models. Trans programming isn't quite as "crisp" as say BMW's of the same box (per QP's observations) but it is quite competent, unlike what i've heard about Toyota's 8spd.

Unfortunately:

Kind of of rules that out 🤷‍♂️

As a few others have suggested, it really sounds like you need to have a number of test drives and see what fits.
Yep, he ruled out a lot of potential candidates because he doesn’t want a big three vehicle lol.

Trucks are the only reason to buy from the Big 3 nowadays. Silverado has been good. Only has 65k miles on it. :cool:

I've had great luck with domestic SUV's, had an Expedition that was a total tank and we owned for many, many years, sold it with >200,000 miles on it and have had great service from my GC's so far, though I've not owned any of them for an extended duration yet. Longest was about 4 years with my 2016 SRT.

I feel your pain. My wife is in the same boat. But it's not just front seat comfort that affects someone with back troubles. It's the low profile wheels and suspensions on today's models that also dictate what shocks transfer to the cabin. Volvo's are known for great seats, but the other things get in the way of a soft and comfortable ride. You say you are eliminating the Big 3, but I'd probably look at the Lincoln SUV's. They appear to have great seats with 10 way power adjustments, I believe. As info, my 1988 Land Cruiser FJ60 almost led to our divorce due to its horrific ride and discomfort.

Yes, with the aforementioned lumbar support. You okay over there?
Yes, I was throwing out, like I said, some of the top 5 mid-size choices in that segment. From there, the OP can narrow it from those choices.

Yes, with the aforementioned lumbar support. You okay over there?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d88.jpg

Shameless plug. Lumbar control clearly visible on the passenger seat. Note I'm not recommending she get an SRT, but I know that the option exists on the Grand Cherokee and the Durango.

View attachment 44578

Shameless plug. Lumbar control clearly visible on the passenger seat. Note I'm not recommending she get an SRT, but I know that the option exists on the Grand Cherokee and the Durango.

From experience, I can say that is one comfortable seat with 4 way lumbar, heating and cooling - have one in the garage! Too bad it's one of the big 3.

OP may also want to check out the Lincoln Nautilus. Excellent value for the price, and the Reserve trim with its 22-way power front seats with lumbar should be very comfortable.

Back