Shopping new 2021 F-150 King Ranch & Platinum -- seat differences?

I posted this to the F-150 subreddit but figured I would ask here too.

I am currently trying to decide between a new King Ranch and Platinum but after sitting in several examples of each, I'm noticing a big disparity in seat feel and comfort between them. Two of the King Ranches I sat in were fresh off the transport, and I absolutely could not get the seat adjusted to be comfortable. The seat back itself felt flat and stiff, and no amount of lumbar adjustment fixed it. But then I sat in a KR at another dealer and it was a night and day difference. Unsure if it's "break in" or something, but I've never really noticed seats change over time in any other car I've owned.

Have noticed the same on the Platinum, but in general those seemed slightly better -- perhaps due to having a softer leather than the KR?

The inconsistent seat comfort is a huge hold up for me to decide between these two. I really prefer the KR interior but may be forced to go with the Platinum on seat comfort alone. Anyone else experience this while shopping for 2021s? Have never experienced this with any other car I've ever shopped for.

Seat foam absolutely breaks in, and to an extent, molds to your body. I just can't believe that Ford's standard leather in the Platinum feels softer than the King Ranch leather. Standard leather in my Mustang is like a rock. Ford uses some of the worst leather I've ever seen. When I first bought it, I thought I would never get comfortable in it, but now it feels fine, even when I alternate between it and the truck.

Seat foam absolutely breaks in, and to an extent, molds to your body. I just can't believe that Ford's standard leather in the Platinum feels softer than the King Ranch leather. Standard leather in my Mustang is like a rock. Ford uses some of the worst leather I've ever seen. When I first bought it, I thought I would never get comfortable in it, but now it feels fine, even when I alternate between it and the truck.

The Platinum is totally different leather: it's extremely soft and feels like it came from a luxury car. The KR leather is more hide-like with texturing and patterns, perhaps to be more durable?

The Platinum is totally different leather: it's extremely soft and feels like it came from a luxury car. The KR leather is more hide-like with texturing and patterns, perhaps to be more durable?
I guess when you spend $84K vs $42K, they give you better leather as a courtesy. I'd get the truck I want. The foam breaks in when you sit 180lbs in it daily. Leather will also stretch & crease with use.

Is either ventilated? Ducting takes up space and reduces the depth of cushioning. the seats in my XL actually hold me better than the ventilated seats in our Lexus GS. The GS is ducted and has a hard plastic back. The f150 is cloth on both sides and I settle into it. The f150 seat back is starting to creak around the upper mid back now, like a worn mattress. That’s a little weird.

Is either ventilated? Ducting takes up space and reduces the depth of cushioning. the seats in my XL actually hold me better than the ventilated seats in our Lexus GS. The GS is ducted and has a hard plastic back. The f150 is cloth on both sides and I settle into it. The f150 seat back is starting to creak around the upper mid back now, like a worn mattress. That’s a little weird.

Both are vented, heated, and massaging. It's supposedly the same seat underneath, just different leather covers.

XL....buuuuhahahhhaha...you measely pheasant...;)

Are you sure some of the seats didn’t have that fold-flat feature? That’s the only thing I could think of to maybe make them different. I haven’t sat in a new Raptor seat but hope it’s as comfortable as my 2019 was. I really liked the seats in that truck compared to my wife’s Suburban or old Denali.

For the obscene cost of these trucks Id want the seats to be like an S-class Mercedes. Because they almost cost as much.

I find it hard to believe that breakin of foams or leathers makes a big difference unless they’re using hides from baseball mitts.

Are you sure some of the seats didn’t have that fold-flat feature? That’s the only thing I could think of to maybe make them different. I haven’t sat in a new Raptor seat but hope it’s as comfortable as my 2019 was. I really liked the seats in that truck compared to my wife’s Suburban or old Denali.

None of them had Max Recline. Those seats have the extra shoulder supports you can manually adjust.

The Ford King Ranch Leather was (and may still be) uncoated leather. This is different than most leather materials on the road today. For this reason, you may want to avoid it if upkeep is a concern.

Disclaimer: it is possible that things have changed, but I would definitely research this.

The Ford King Ranch Leather was (and may still be) uncoated leather. This is different than most leather materials on the road today. For this reason, you may want to avoid it if upkeep is a concern.

Disclaimer: it is possible that things have changed, but I would definitely research this.
Ouch. I bet jeans and belts are taking a toll on them. Keeping them conditioned is one thing, but there's not a lot you can do about abrasion.

The OG King Ranches were indeed aniline leather, but that's not the case anymore. Hasn't been for years. You're probably thinking of these:
2002_ford_king_ranch_3.PNG

I posted this to the F-150 subreddit but figured I would ask here too.

I am currently trying to decide between a new King Ranch and Platinum but after sitting in several examples of each, I'm noticing a big disparity in seat feel and comfort between them. Two of the King Ranches I sat in were fresh off the transport, and I absolutely could not get the seat adjusted to be comfortable. The seat back itself felt flat and stiff, and no amount of lumbar adjustment fixed it. But then I sat in a KR at another dealer and it was a night and day difference. Unsure if it's "break in" or something, but I've never really noticed seats change over time in any other car I've owned.

Have noticed the same on the Platinum, but in general those seemed slightly better -- perhaps due to having a softer leather than the KR?

The inconsistent seat comfort is a huge hold up for me to decide between these two. I really prefer the KR interior but may be forced to go with the Platinum on seat comfort alone. Anyone else experience this while shopping for 2021s? Have never experienced this with any other car I've ever shopped for.
Stay clean away from 2021 F-150. They are constantly coming in with problems. Electrical and engine. If reliability is a concern, tundra or Titan.

The OG King Ranches were indeed aniline leather, but that's not the case anymore. Hasn't been for years. You're probably thinking of these:
2002_ford_king_ranch_3.PNG
I remember driving those in and out of the shop in my walmart days. By far the most comfortable truck seat i ever sat in.

I remember driving those in and out of the shop in my walmart days. By far the most comfortable truck seat i ever sat in.
As much as I am a fan of branded trim level Fords, and Ford trucks, I am not a fan of the real "saddle leather" or whatever seats in some King Ranches. Some of the early ones I have been in smelled like a cattle farm. I prefer the new plastic/formaldehyde airing out of the glue smell. My 94 Explorer Eddie Bauer with coated, highly treated leather has cured to a kind of nice "crayon smell." 🤣

Back