New Mobil oil....M1 Annual Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a big believer in time component of oil changes and I think a lot of others feel the same way too. At least in the normal world outside of BITOGers.

I think there are lots of people leaving "regular" oil in for a year. Or more.

I'm leaving my synthetics in for 3 years.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
How many miles turtlevette??

I believe about 6000 on the 02 suburban in 3 years.
7000 on the mustang in 2 years.
1000 on the Vette in 4 years
The Transam gets continual partial drains because of coolant contamination.
The 84 suburban 200 mi in 5 years. It's strictly a dump vehicle and tool shed.

I did let the mustang go 16k and 4 years on its first change with Castro! European which was state of the art when it went in.

Back in the 80s they were saying never change your oil on M1. I don't remember doing any changes on my grand national.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I'm leaving my synthetics in for 3 years.

Heck, I've done it with conventionals. Remember, though, you and I do have had some low use vehicles over the years, and it's a lot different to pull a vehicle out for a couple summer (or winter) long runs, versus the old lady going two blocks to bingo twice a week.

I've had vehicles sit for weeks at a time, but when they start, the shortest trip is 150 miles.

I visited my local Walmart today and was surprised to see that M1 AP had twice the shelf space of M1 EP. The AP was six across on the top shelf. EP was three across on the next shelf, with an empty position for 0w20 and another brand encroaching on two positions that had been EP space. The standard FS and HM variations were on the third shelf, and AFE was down by the floor along with the 0w40.

Is anyone else out there seeing a reduction in shelf space for M1 EP?

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
I visited my local Walmart today and was surprised to see that M1 AP had twice the shelf space of M1 EP. The AP was six across on the top shelf. EP was three across on the next shelf, with an empty position for 0w20 and another brand encroaching on two positions that had been EP space. The standard FS and HM variations were on the third shelf, and AFE was down by the floor along with the 0w40.

Is anyone else out there seeing a reduction in shelf space for M1 EP?

At my 2 Wal Marts; shelf space for M1 EP, and M1 AP is now gone. Friend that works at one near Ohio line (or 10 miles from me) said "M1 EP& AP" didn't sell much so they removed it"

Was in Walmart this weekend and the AP jugs had stickers on them for a $10 walmart ecard with purchase. shelf price was still $50.

Originally Posted By: smithph
Was in Walmart this weekend and the AP jugs had stickers on them for a $10 walmart ecard with purchase. shelf price was still $50.

I noticed the same thing...I'd guess you can't use the $10 to help pay for the AP?

I also looked closely at the AP 5W30's dexos1 license number and it looked like one for Gen 2.
Mobil 1 5W30 shows a dexos1 Gen 2 license number of D10104GH015 in the online reference, and the one on the jug of 5W30 AP was D10110GH015 (IIRC).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
First there was Valvoline Daily Protection. Now Mobil Annual Protection. Who's next? Castrol Millennium?

THEN we'll see Pennzoil Epoch Protection!

Pennzoil still has to decide to market an extended drain oil in the first place. Platinum and Ultra certainly are, but they don't get marketed as such.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Pennzoil still has to decide to market an extended drain oil in the first place. Platinum and Ultra certainly are, but they don't get marketed as such.

I wonder if it has something to do with their target demographic? I'm probably spewing pure speculation and nonsense here, but... I feel like people who are brand loyal to Mobil (which has always been one of the longer drain oils since it was one of the first well known synthetics) are more open to further extending their OCI's. Whereas, folks brand loyal to Pennzoil or Quaker State are probably, more often than not, still trying to get the "3,000 to 5,000 miles OCI always" motto out of their heads. Maybe SOPUS is just waiting for the general population of their target demographic to reach younger crowds?

I of course know that most BITOGers are either Boomers or Gen X, (whereas I'm Gen Y), but the general population of consumers who don't know much about oil are in far greater numbers than we, a niche crowd of obsessed oil nuts, are...

The one way to get around that way of thinking, believe it or not, is pretty intuitive: people are probably more inclined to follow Oil Life Monitors in new cars these days, thus if car makers recommend or require synthetics, OLM's can climb higher. Oil companies need to use that in their advantage to sell these types of oils that can last longer.

Fleet vehicles can also be a major hit or miss with this situation. I used to work for my city as a street/road crew employee for 6 summers. All our city trucks were gassers - multiple Fords with Tritons, either 5.4L or 6.8L, one new 6.2L, (used to have an old Ford with the 351W), one old Dodge gasser (I think it was a 5.9L?), and then of course, a few BIG trucks, 2 with Chevy gassers (possibly 355 engines iirc), one International that's diesel, and then of course we have 2 big tractors, both Case diesel.

When it comes down to a Public Works Director's decision to stock oil for the fleet, it's just easier to "one and done" it. So, EVERYTHING got some off-brand 15w-40 (it was certified though). Even the Fords that called for either 5w-20 or 5w-30. It's much easier for big name oil companies to grab contracts with dealerships than with city fleet vehicles.

Sorry for rambling, lol.

I'm not sure. But, I do know that M1 EP succeeded up here with the mileage warranty. Gold bottle Edge failed at first. When the mileage warranty came out, it got back on the shelves and started selling. It might help PUP.

Heck, even RP has a mileage guarantee. Some oil companies are willing to help customers feel more comfortable with extending OCIs. Valvoline and Pennzoil-Quaker State are missing the boat on that.

As I've pointed out before, when you've got a basic 5w-30 SN/GF-5 type application with a conservative OCI, what incentive is there for a buyer to plunk down a few extra dollars for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum over Pennzoil Platinum? At least gold bottle Edge, M1 EP, and even M1 AP can say something over black bottle Edge and M1 beyond "extra cleaning."

If I were to follow my G37's OEM intervals of 3750 miles, how much cleaner could things possibly be using PUP over PP?

Certainly, there's something to be said about the demographic changing, but that can be slow. In the end, the oils are changing with specification and OEM demands. Some oil companies have been saying that you don't need a Mercedes to have 10,000 mile OCIs, or now, even an ordinary brand new vehicle to go 10,000 mile OCIs - we have a product that can do it and has been doing it for years.

Just at my local Wallyworld last night. Lots of empty shelf space for whatever reason. M1 AP was still ~$50/jug. M1 AFE/HM was $25/jug. Castrol Edge was $22/jug (I bought two jugs of 0W-40). Very limited Valvoline Syn-Power jugs (5W-20 mostly) and some PP Euro jugs in 0W-40. I did check the end-caps and the general area as well.

It's always tell what's supposed to be going on out our Walmarts. It looks likes someone stocked the shelves blindfolded, and someone else came running along two minutes later with a hockey stick held horizontally, or a grenade got thrown in there.

I just want everyone to know that I have not forgot, just had some personal problems as of late, but I will be sending in my M1AP VOA this week.

I just saw M1AP at my local AAP. It's $59.99 a jug, and $16.99 a quart! It's going to be sitting a while. The store might sell one a month. I think they sell maybe 1 or 2 jugs of RP a week.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. But, I do know that M1 EP succeeded up here with the mileage warranty. Gold bottle Edge failed at first. When the mileage warranty came out, it got back on the shelves and started selling. It might help PUP.

Heck, even RP has a mileage guarantee. Some oil companies are willing to help customers feel more comfortable with extending OCIs. Valvoline and Pennzoil-Quaker State are missing the boat on that.

As I've pointed out before, when you've got a basic 5w-30 SN/GF-5 type application with a conservative OCI, what incentive is there for a buyer to plunk down a few extra dollars for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum over Pennzoil Platinum? At least gold bottle Edge, M1 EP, and even M1 AP can say something over black bottle Edge and M1 beyond "extra cleaning."

If I were to follow my G37's OEM intervals of 3750 miles, how much cleaner could things possibly be using PUP over PP?

Certainly, there's something to be said about the demographic changing, but that can be slow. In the end, the oils are changing with specification and OEM demands. Some oil companies have been saying that you don't need a Mercedes to have 10,000 mile OCIs, or now, even an ordinary brand new vehicle to go 10,000 mile OCIs - we have a product that can do it and has been doing it for years.

You've just highlighted an issue I guess I should have mentioned. I just checked and even a brand new Nissan Maxima's OEM OCI is still 3750 miles. Most people won't go over their recommended OCI as scheduled per their maintenance book. This goes against what Mobil is doing, which is why it would seem that even if Pennzoil is falling behind in their warranty per mileage, they don't have any incentive to update it like other oil companies if the manufacturers themselves aren't yet recommending longer OCI's. This is why there is still incentive for people to buy conventional oil. Why pay for an oil that says it can go 10k+ if your vehicle's OCI as determined by the manual says to change at 3750 miles?

The manufacturers are to blame for people not yet running longer OCI's. About the only incentive a person is going to see in buying synthetic oil when their OCI's are set short is it if posits better mpg and better cleaning. Pennzoil has many claims that their oil cleans better, so when a person whose vehicle's OCI is 3750 miles is looking between oils for the best bang for their buck, setting aside their best option of conventional and assuming they still want synthetic, they'll want to choose something that makes sense for them. An oil claiming longer OCI's vs and oil claiming to clean the best? What will they choose? If they change their oil at the rec'd 3750, they'll choose the one that posits better cleaning.

Only in vehicles where the manuals say to use synthetic oil and use longer OCI's will the buyer look at oil positing a longer OCI.

I certainly see your point against Valvoline and Pennzoil vs Mobil, but I'm just saying, the oil companies don't always have to compete in the same type of game.

It's always tell what's supposed to be going on out our Walmarts. It looks likes someone stocked the shelves blindfolded, and someone else came running along two minutes later with a hockey stick held horizontally, or a grenade got thrown in there.

Ah yes, gotta love people that can't be bothered to put stuff back where they found it. Classy folks. Like the ones that return a 5qt jug full of USED oil.

It is hard to believe that any new vehicle produced in 2017 would come with a 3750 mile OCI recommendation. Even my 16 year old 2001 Volvo called for a 7500 mile OCI.

It seems as if the price point for Mobil1 AP is now being tested. One of two things is likely to happen. Either the market will settle upon a point where both the consumer and manufacturer are happy, or the product will be be withdrawn from the market. Personally I am betting on the former with a price point somewhere below $7/qt. The present promotion amounts to $8/qt.

Also we should not forget that XOM is free to reformulate the product to meet their profit objectives once the market level price is found. Has anyone else noticed that the specifications for these oils remain incomplete? Are any of you so naive to think that this is not intentional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back