New Mobil oil....M1 Annual Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Y_K
The main selling point of AMSOIL is that you skip one extra oil change, and that justifies the price bump. I don't see why Mobil couldn't do the same...
I drive a lot and could use it easily in some of my vehicles.

The M1 EP is good for 15,000 miles and can be had for $28 a jug. The AP is nearly $50 a jug for an additional 5,000 miles. The value just isn't there imo. That's not even taking top off oil into account

The problem XOM has is while your $35 might be fair - folks wanting this to be only $5 more does not work for XOM since you can't add $5 of material to go from 15k to 20k like it's linear. PAO is more than GIII and even then GIII+ etc, etc
Maybe 15k is just the practical value limit - but at $35 I'd buy it for one of six cars I service (run 10k) - so even then a tough average. AP should of come out some Mobil 1 niche product like ESP - not mass market Wally. (And made far less)

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
The value just isn't there imo.

Time value is in my case. Granted, every situation is different

Originally Posted By: Y_K
The main selling point of AMSOIL is that you skip one extra oil change, and that justifies the price bump. I don't see why Mobil couldn't do the same...
I drive a lot and could use it easily in some of my vehicles.

The M1 EP is good for up to15,000 miles and can be had for $28 a jug. The AP is nearly $50 a jug for up to an additional 5,000 miles. The value just isn't there imo. That's not even taking top off oil into account

I think the miles thing is interesting - I like many change M1 EP at 5k-10k and have zero interest in running any oil 15k. I think most folks on this site don't run 15k ... 20k is really niche buyer - but get the price down and we'd ignore the 20k claims

I suppose Amsoil is a fool!

If you have a product that can go 20k on oil changes but will not stand behind it then I guess it won't sale as the following pictures show. Extended warranties are push so hard onto car buyers owners have to play by their rules. However, if the oil company would stand behind it with a warranty secure type of warranty then it would sale better. I am not a Amsoil dealer. I was researching oil like many of you. The Warranty Secure of Amsoil edged them out over Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Yep, unless the oil company will stand behind it like Amsoil. If changing oil in the car manual say 7500 miles then this oil or any other like it is a waste of money. Better off using oil that will go that long for less money.

Last edited:
Most newer cars have extended warranties. The warranty as stated on M1 oil discurages folks like me from buying into it. Also, the advantages of extended drain intervals have not been sold to the avg car owner. For example, my '13 F150 with a 5.0, holds 8qts of oil. Almost twice the avg. This puts oil changes in the 60-80 dollar range 2 to 4 times a year at a annual cost of $240 to $320 annual for one vehicle. If I can safely go 20k or one year on this oil then even at $100 I am saving half the annual cost. Makes sense to me. Amsoil, had to warranty their oil even if the car is still under warranty to sale it to New car owners. If M1 wants to sale this oil to informed car owners then they too will have to stand behind it. I know that the vast majority of folks who get their oil changed will not know or care about any of this, they just want their oil changed.

Originally Posted By: Nolefan
I suppose Amsoil is a fool!

If you have a product that can go 20k on oil changes but will not stand behind it then I guess it won't sale as the following pictures show. Extended warranties are push so hard onto car buyers owners have to play by their rules. However, if the oil company would stand behind it with a warranty secure type of warranty then it would sale better. I am not a Amsoil dealer. I was researching oil like many of you. The Warranty Secure of Amsoil edged them out over Mobil 1.

I have little to no faith in any oil company's warranty. In the event of an engine failure there will be a lot of finger pointing, down time, you name it. While under warranty it is prudent to follow the mfg's guidelines, not something laid out by an oil company designed to sell oil. Please note the word [any], I'm not targeting Amsoil.

I know that the vast majority of folks who get their oil changed will not know or care about any of this, they just want their oil changed.

Indeed.

For example, my '13 F150 with a 5.0, holds 8qts of oil. Almost twice the avg. This puts oil changes in the 60-80 dollar range 2 to 4 times a year at a annual cost of $240 to $320 annual for one vehicle. If I can safely go 20k or one year on this oil then even at $100 I am saving half the annual cost. Makes sense to me.

But, you'd be money ahead using M1EP because it's half the price of M1AP, but good for 3/4 the miles.

The ironic thing is that M1EP, at 15,000 miles and a few bucks more than M1 (often times on sale for the same price), is the thing that makes M1AP too expensive. If there was no M1EP, you'd have M1 at about $25 per jug good for about 10K miles and M1AP at about $50 per jug good for about 20K miles. The price point of M1EP ruins it for M1AP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
First there was Valvoline Daily Protection. Now Mobil Annual Protection. Who's next? Castrol Millennium?

hahaha ^^^^^^^^^

I'm going on the theory that Mobil 1 Annual change is a Group 4 oil or at least a blend of group 3 and 4 oils -- look at the price compared to the price of M1 or M1EP, which are Group 3 oils. It also explains why the Annual can go 20k miles, group 4 oils outperform group 3.

Most newer cars have extended warranties. The warranty as stated on M1 oil discurages folks like me from buying into it. Also, the advantages of extended drain intervals have not been sold to the avg car owner. For example, my '13 F150 with a 5.0, holds 8qts of oil. Almost twice the avg. This puts oil changes in the 60-80 dollar range 2 to 4 times a year at a annual cost of $240 to $320 annual for one vehicle. If I can safely go 20k or one year on this oil then even at $100 I am saving half the annual cost. Makes sense to me. Amsoil, had to warranty their oil even if the car is still under warranty to sale it to New car owners. If M1 wants to sale this oil to informed car owners then they too will have to stand behind it. I know that the vast majority of folks who get their oil changed will not know or care about any of this, they just want their oil changed.

Try that same math using M1 EP for a 15K OCI and get back to us.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy

Try that same math using M1 EP for a 15K OCI and get back to us.

^^ Like!

GOING, GOING, GONE. A fifty dollar oil at Walmart? Give me a break. A few jugs may go out the door, but they will be back full of drain oil, guaranteed.

Mobil 1 AP strikes me as a solution in search of a problem

Well the commercial tries to target people who are actually changing their oil every 3K MI when most new cars are going at least 7.5K MI.

Maybe their marketing strategy is to use AP with the off the wall price, to sell more EP and AFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back