New mobil 1 0w40 viscosity

They can't if they want it to stay A3/B4 compliant (full-SAPS), because if they made it SP, phosphorous would have to take a major haircut.
They could switch the add pack and label it SL still though. I think that’s what he means.

They can't if they want it to stay A3/B4 compliant (full-SAPS), because if they made it SP, phosphorous would have to take a major haircut.
5W40 is SP. I think they moved 5W30 too. Could be wrong.
Mobil1 for 5W30 FS lists I think SL and SP test requirements, which actually is very interesting considering that discussion about additives balancing each other.

They could switch the add pack and label it SL still though. I think that’s what he means.
But why? Point is in oil not label. Their priority is not API, but European approvals and customers of those vehicles.
As I stated above, Mobil1 claims that their SL oil has passed all SP engine tests.

5W40 is SP. I think they moved 5W30 too. Could be wrong.
Mobil1 for 5W30 FS lists I think SL and SP test requirements, which actually is very interesting considering that discussion about additives balancing each other.
Yes, they list the "SP ENGINE TEST REQUIREMENTS" while still (necessarily) keeping it SL:
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.45.36 PM.jpg

Yes, they list the "SP ENGINE TEST REQUIREMENTS" while still (necessarily) keeping it SL:
View attachment 189876
Which means that SL additive pack doesn’t have problem passing requirements. It is not “old.”
What Castrol did or Mobil1 in this case is choice.
I still think Castrol moved 5W30 to SP. In the end, they have to sell stuff. I think I saw new bottles in Wal Mart. Will check.

But why? Point is in oil not label. Their priority is not API, but European approvals and customers of those vehicles.
As I stated above, Mobil1 claims that their SL oil has passed all SP engine tests.
That’s what I mean… Mobil makes a point to basically tell you they’re running an API SP add pack but have to label it as SL. Castrol could do the same. I doubt the 0W-30 package passes SP.

Which means that SL additive pack doesn’t have problem passing requirements. It is not “old.”
I still think Castrol moved 5W30 to SP. In the end, they have to sell stuff. I think I saw new bottles in Wal Mart. Will check.
You have it backwards. The SL package won’t pass SP. It IS an SP package but they can’t call it that because of the phosphorus levels. It’s the same package as SP FS 5W-40.

I think you and I took that two completely different ways. My assumption is that they are using the same SP additive package as the 5W-40 and/or 0W-40, but labelling it SL because they have to for an xW-30, since an xW-30 can't have that high of phosphorous on anything beyond SL.

That’s what I mean… Mobil makes a point to basically tell you they’re running an API SP add pack but have to label it as SL. Castrol could do the same. I doubt the 0W-30 package passes SP.
No, 5W30 FS is Full SAPS old add pack.
Hy would anyone list SL if having SP add pack?

I think you and I took that two completely different ways. My assumption is that they are using the same SP additive package as the 5W-40 and/or 0W-40, but labelling it SL because they have to for an xW-30, since an xW-30 can't have that high of phosphorous on anything beyond SL.
I think XW40 has phosphorus limits too now. Could be wrong. Not sure why labeling SL if SP add pack?

I think XW40 has phosphorus limits too now. Could be wrong. Not sure why labeling SL if SP add pack?
Nope, xW-40 still has unrestricted phosphorous. Check the levels on the SP 0W-40, it's >900, as confirmed by a recent VOA.

Any oil below xW-40, so 30, 20, 16, 12, 8, that wants to be labelled anything newer than SL, has to have phosphorous at 800ppm or lower. So, if you use the 930ppm phosphorous SP additive package from the FS 0W-40 in a 5W-30, it can't be labelled SP, it has to be labelled SL, since it's not compliant with the restrictions imposed by SP on phosphorous for the grade.

No, 5W30 FS is Full SAPS old add pack.
Hy would anyone list SL if having SP add pack?
Because it’s the SP add pack from the 40. It’s the SP 5W40 with lower viscosity.
Infineum P6782.

They can call it SP for a 40 and not for the 30 because of limits.

So it is SL additive pack passing SP engine test! That is my point about Mobil1 5W30FS.
No… it was updated to the SP FS package. They can’t call it SP at a 30 grade. I doubt any Euro SL pack will ever pass SP. There is not one VOA of SP oil with calcium over 2000 ppm.

Back