New mobil 1 0w40 viscosity

Has anyone noticed that the new m1 0w40 Euro formula is now 13.8 cst at operating temp instead of 12.9? Many considered it a go to oil for many applications and just above a 5w30, but now it lands squarely in the 40 weight category instead of on the low end.

Maybe this has been discussed, but I just noticed it.

Has anyone noticed that the new m1 0w40 Euro formula is now 13.8 cst at operating temp instead of 12.9? Many considered it a go to oil for many applications and just above a 5w30, but now it lands squarely in the 40 weight category instead of on the low end.

Oh boy!

HTHS is all that practically matters after the winter grade. I’m not sure 1 cSt makes much difference. It’s 7% thicker at 100 C.

HTHS is all that practically matters after the winter grade. I’m not sure 1 cSt makes much difference. It’s 7% thicker at 100 C.
Where can you find that readily? I see it discussed on here, but I don't understand a lot about the metric, and I don't find it on product data sheets:

Screenshot_20231121_034813_Chrome.jpg

Where can you find that readily? I see it discussed on here, but I don't understand a lot about the metric, and I don't find it on product data sheets:
They don't disclose it anymore for some oils. It's widely believed to be 3.6 based on one datasheet that escaped and the HTHS of prior formulations.

Interesting.

Was there a change in viscosity at 40c?

I think I'm ok with this, though. I'm going to be running this oil in my Vette and if it is close to 30 weight, I don't see the point. Now it makes more sense, otherwise I'll stick with EP 5w30.

Interesting.

Was there a change in viscosity at 40c?

I think I'm ok with this, though. I'm going to be running this oil in my Vette and if it is close to 30 weight, I don't see the point. Now it makes more sense, otherwise I'll stick with EP 5w30.
Its like 7 ish cst thicker at 40c. Previous was 71 ish. MRV @-40 went from 21,700 to 30,500

Yeah for over a year maybe two by now. Last discussion centered around having to increase the kv100 to keep the minimum hths up from believed reduction of base stock quality in the new formulation.

This is one of the reasons I went back to Castrol.

View attachment 189577
0W30 Euro
View attachment 189578
Yep. And Mobil1 took out HTHS value from 0W40. I think they had it in SP formulation for some time at 3.6, which is not where other oils are with comparable KV100.
Also, interestingly, EU version of SP doesn’t have BMW LL01 while the US has, at least on pdf.

Yep. And Mobil1 took out HTHS value from 0W40. I think they had it in SP formulation for some time at 3.6, which is not where other oils are with comparable KV100.
Also, interestingly, EU version of SP doesn’t have BMW LL01 while the US has, at least on pdf.
Did any of the certifications or approvals change from the old formula to the new?

Back