Mobil 1 FS 0w40 has bmw longlife 01 again

Not sure what to make of that document, since it doesn't have a single XOM product on the list, and M1 FS 5W-40 also has LL-01:
View attachment 189661
Well, it's what BMW techs and dealers used for their reference. It's also missing Ravenol products for that matter. Ravenol VST used to be on the list.

Regardless of what the BMW technical document says, what about the fact that many EU websites don't show FS 0W-40 carries LL01 approval? Perhaps they have different formulations of FS 0W-40?

I quit using Castrol when they quit sponsoring John Force Racing. They were partners for over 30 years. What they provided John cost them nothing in comparison to their gross profits.
Never heard of John Force Racing...(but I am not a fan of drag racing).
But with 45 sponsors, I hard think they are hurting or care about Castrol:

Of all companies XOM is most punctual.
Hopefully it’s not an anomaly. The Mobil 1 Oil Finder now refuses to recommend 0W-40 or 5W-40 for S55 and recommends ESP 5W-30 or FS 5W-30. Extremely odd. It wasn’t like this a month ago I think.

I was looking at some oils, and ESP still has more data, including HTHS. I have a feeling they are hiding something. I would not be proud of KV100 13.8 and HTHS of 3.6.
I’m not sure. I think they purposely use a lot of VII and they target lower HTHS because of their organizational philosophy on fuel economy. Except where Porsche etc. requested it.

Shell told me via email that Infineum would not let them disclose PP Euro SP HTHS due to agreements. It makes no sense but maybe there is something to it?

I’m not sure. I think they purposely use a lot of VII and they target lower HTHS because of their organizational philosophy on fuel economy. Except where Porsche etc. requested it.

Shell told me via email that Infineum would not let them disclose PP Euro SP HTHS due to agreements. It makes no sense but maybe there is something to it?
I am not sure at HTHS of 3.6 fuel economy is such a big deal. Motul is at 3.8 for X-Cess and 3.9 for X-Clean in 5W40.
Also, the KV100 does not help fuel economy in any way. If that was a priority, they would stay below 13.

I am not sure at HTHS of 3.6 fuel economy is such a big deal. Motul is at 3.8 for X-Cess and 3.9 for X-Clean in 5W40.
Also, the KV100 does not help fuel economy in any way. If that was a priority, they would stay below 13.
Not sure just postulating. It has a lot of VII based on the lower HTHS vs KV100 and the high VI. Clearly this is an intentional decision to use such a thin base oil. They can select whatever they want being XOM of course.

Regarding the KV100, I’m not sure it’s useful for even fuel economy. HTHS correlates better according to the papers I read. Still, if you plot out the viscosity you can see it’s thinner than the Castrol 0W-30 below 40C and much thinner at 0. The ESP X3 PDFs mentioned fuel economy a lot and that’s an HTHS of 3.8 so clearly Porsche cared about that. Question is, does anyone still use FS 0W-40 for factory fill? Nissan GT-R?

This looks almost like those weird racing oils they sell where they are making use of temporary VM shear to lower friction. In the end it doesn’t bother me too much. It’s HTHS 3.6, modern add pack, and has all the approvals. I’m going to run it until spring and switch to the PP or Motul. I bet it’s not to Gokhan’s liking though :).

Last edited:
Not sure just postulating. It has a lot of VII based on the lower HTHS vs KV100 and the high VI. Clearly this is an intentional decision to use such a thin base oil. They can select whatever they want being XOM of course.

Regarding the KV100, I’m not sure it’s useful for even fuel economy. HTHS correlates better according to the papers I read.

This looks almost like those weird racing oils they sell where they are making use of temporary VM shear to lower friction.
KV40 is also high. Warm-up will require more fuel.
IDK, I mean these are assumptions, but IMO, better stuff on the market.

KV40 is also high. Warm-up will require more fuel.
IDK, I mean these are assumptions, but IMO, better stuff on the market.
I edited above too slowly but it does depend on startup temp. Below 40 C this oil is thinner than Edge A3/B4 0W-30 and it’s not far off above it. If KV100 vs HTHS is your criteria then yes it’s one of the worst Euro 40s.

I edited above too slowly but it does depend on startup temp. Below 40 C this oil is thinner than Edge A3/B4 0W-30 and it’s not far off above it. If KV100 vs HTHS is your criteria then yes it’s one of the worst Euro 40s.
But it is slightly thicker than Motul X-Cess 5W40 at KV40. So, the mpg argument is IMO stretch. It just does not make sense.

But it is slightly thicker than Motul X-Cess 5W40 at KV40. So, the mpg argument is IMO stretch. It just does not make sense.
Maybe. New XCess gen2 SP is 85.2 cSt KV40 and VI of 169 so much thicker, now similar to PP Euro.

The website is messed up. I had to Google to find the SP PDS in Italian. Still, your point stands looking at SN version.

Yeah, I found it. They dropped pour pint a bit too, but HTHS stayed the same.
IDK, I think anything above 3.5 in that category is irrelevant to talk about mpg. I think there are other reasons for such high KV100. Maybe retention, stay in grade.

i hope that this tittle is not going to change to :
Mobil 1 FS 0w40 has NOT bmw longlife 01 again

i really want to try it once. i think that since SP some companies getting really messed up with approvals.
i dont know the reason, you guys know more. i mean MOTUL first, now MOBIL.
the funny thing is that we are not getting any mess from the usual companies like Castrol or Shell.

i hope that this tittle is not going to change to :
Mobil 1 FS 0w40 has NOT bmw longlife 01 again

i really want to try it once. i think that since SP some companies getting really messed up with approvals.
i dont know the reason, you guys know more. i mean MOTUL first, now MOBIL.
the funny thing is that we are not getting any mess from the usual companies like Castrol or Shell.
It still has LL01 according to US PDS. One of the engineers at XOM in Germany just recommended it to me for a BMW application a month ago so I feel like it’s unlikely that it has lost approval. If you can find a bottle locally I bet that would be the best indicator. If it says LL01 on the bottle then it’s probably a clerical error. The US bottles of SP do say LL01.

Back