New F150 5.0 Break-in

Used red bottle Maxlife in several vehicles and it's good oil. I would also consider Havoline High Mileage, I like it better than ML as it's $37 for 2- 6qt boxes delivered to your house, free shipping.

I don’t agree with you on this. These engines are not broken in at the factory.
You should see the new Ford Explorers leaving the Ford plant in Chicago. I see them on my way home from work. They drive them to a rail yard rolling down 94 at 70-80 miles an hour weaving through traffic. Trust me, some are broken in really good.

change oil at 500 to 1,000 miles ,use a good full synthetic 5w-30,, name brands like Pennzoil Platinium,Vavoiline EP,Castrol Edge and good filter,like Fram ultra,wix XP at 5k intervals,, you should be fine for most driving conditions.
This. I agree 100%

Change it at 500 miles and put in a quality full synthetic 5w30 and then change it every 5,000 miles. Done. My 5.0 has ran very well on Valvoline EP, Quaker State UP, and Pennzoil Platinum Ultra.

This. I agree 100%

Change it at 500 miles and put in a quality full synthetic 5w30 and then change it every 5,000 miles. Done. My 5.0 has ran very well on Valvoline EP, Quaker State UP, and Pennzoil Platinum Ultra.

Add me to this one. I would change at 1k or so and follow the above. I did this with my 15 5.0. I've run mostly Mobil 1 in mine. Moved early on from 0-20 to 5-30 and remained with 5-30. I'm doing 7500 miles with a Fram Ultra filter. These aren't particularly harsh on oil.

I think the advice he was giving is to use a synthetic blend vs full synthetic initially. Considering 90% of the break-in is finished by 500 miles. I do like the idea of dumping the factory fill at this point.
With today’s machining surface finishes, ring thicknesses, and modern internal coatings, 95% of break-in is done within 20 minutes of firing the engine for the first time. Sure, you may still see higher metals in UOAs for the first few OCIs, but the ring seal itself is nearly as good as it will ever get by the time your butt first hits the seat at the dealer.

With today’s machining surface finishes, ring thicknesses, and modern internal coatings, 95% of break-in is done within 20 minutes of firing the engine for the first time. Sure, you may still see higher metals in UOAs for the first few OCIs, but the ring seal itself is nearly as good as it will ever get by the time your butt first hits the seat at the dealer.
40+ years ago when I worked at a Detroit Diesel shop, we would do complete overhauls. The owner would pick up his truck, then a loaded trailer and proceed cross country. We would see him again after 400k to 500k miles later which was the life expectancy of those engines.

I've only owned a very few new vehicles. They got their first OCI at 5k miles.

We are at two pages and nobody has asked why the friend is even concerned about break-in.

If the friend intends to keep the truck forever, a few extra changes during break-in certainly won't hurt. If he's a closet bitoger, it may help him sleep better. If he has the typical disposable commodity American perspective, who cares.

Can you imagine how many fleet F-150s are out there, and the only special treatment they get in the first 5k OCI is the extra burnouts from the govt employees, plumbers, land surveyors, etc.

These days, manufacturers have a hard enough time delivering a good vehicle to the customer the first time. Imagine their customer satisfaction scores if they were told they needed to come back for four oil changes in the first 5,000 miles...because the engineers had their way. The salesman would have to explain that they were trying to make the engine last 300,000 miles. The customer would reply, "but my lease is only 45,000."

Last edited:
Hopefully it doesn't develop the dreaded 5.0 "knock"
Mine started right after changing the oil.
That motor is a POS. 👀
I traded in my truck at 30,000 miles and put 20w50 in it. The noise was barley noticable. 😅
did you actually have any trouble with it? or just noises?

An early oil change can't hurt at all , what about the drive train. For break in just drive it. I would listen to a better iridologist though.

Sounded just like this. Embarrassing.

My brother has a 2014 F150 that sounds just like that. Had no idea that was a common thing. Nice to know that none of the big 3 are apparently capable of building a solid engine these days that doesn't tick/knock or eat itself up.

Honestly, I don’t trust Ford or Toyota. I don’t believe the advice in the user manual has anything to do with engineering. I think it’s marketing. Toyota says you don’t need to change the oil till 10k. Can you imagine all that **** circulating the engine for 10k miles? When the bypass valve opens nothing is being filtered.
How much time do you really suppose an engine really spends in filter bypass? And is there really more wear metal circulating during that time than other times? (Stuff too small for the filter to grab anyway.)

People want a lightweight engine with an aluminum block, then complain when it’s noisier than an old iron block engine.

People worry too much about nothing, and not at all about life or death matters.

If being angry wasn’t so much work, I’d be an angry old man instead of the sweet old grandpa that I am.

Back