Coyote 5.0 just hit 2k miles

Would Kia/Hyundai engines have been much better with a thicker oil? Wasn't that more of a design problem than an oil problem? 100% agree the average 0w20's seem to be better than the average 5w20's. By the way, I'd rather have an engine called "Roadrunner" than one called "Coyote"....

Just under 5k miles. About to change it up a little.

IMG_5283.jpeg

Interesting video on filters, why I chose the Purolator.

Interesting video on filters, why I chose the Purolator.
Guess you've missed all the other talk about all the conflicting efficiency data on the Boss. These kind of "testing" YT videos somehow become gospel info that over-rides all the official specs.

5W-30 is a good grade for Coyote street use. Don't need anything thicker than that. Track use is a different story.

If you're doing a bunch of heavy extended towing you might consider a xW-40. Does this truck have a decent oil temperature gauge? It should have some kind of factory oil cooler on it.

A lot of people tend to track mustangs that don’t have oil coolers. Important fact. This leads to the overheating issues.

My 2024 S650 GT performance pack, never has gotten above 197F no matter how hard I beat it. I’m also running redline in. (Anti shill notice: It’s free for me, you don’t have to run it.) and yes - 5w30 euro.

I don’t particular think you need to go up grades. Maybe if you whipple it and are running it hard?

On the other hand, my S550 Bullitt edition the water will get hot, which in turn causes the oil to get hotter. It’s because it has a smaller antifreeze sump than normal track models.

On the other hand, my S550 Bullitt edition the water will got hot, which in turn causes the oil to get hotter. It’s because it has a smaller antifreeze sump than normal track models.
Does the Bullitt have the larger radiator that the Track Pack GT gets? That's what's needed to help the engines that only have a coolant-to-oil cooler working more efficiently. Obviously, hard used track cars should have both a coolant-to-oil cooler and also a secondary air-to-oil cooler.

Does the Bullitt have the larger radiator and extra oil cooler that the Track Pack GT gets? That's what's needed to help the engines that only have a coolant-to-oil cooler working more efficiently. Obviously, hard used track cars should have both a coolant-to-oil cooler and also a secondary air-to-oil cooler.

Nope. Actually has a smaller radiator due to its front clip. So it has like a 9.7L coolant capacity vs 13 and change. Whatever that number is.

One of the reasons I got the new GT is track work. I took the Bullitt on the track a few times. Even with water wetter, topping it off to the max, etc. it still got a little hot by the end of lap 9 at mid Ohio.

The front clip is just smaller than the other S550s - especially the GT350 from the same era.

Theres a few after market fixes. But it’s sort of my “collectors” car. K0998 is my production number. I’m leaving it stock - besides changing out the lug nuts to black ones and tinting the windows.

I’ll still track it. It’s a cool car to just… drive. Open roads, windows down. I get compliments all the time on it. But, certainly not a track beast.

The S650 GT performance pack beats it in literally every way besides being the king of cool.

I sorta wanted a dork horse. But, 20k over a GT Performance? Come on ford…

Plus the SO can drive the GT because it’s an automatic. (Yes, I feel lazy.) She has a 2023 Audi Q5. But like she had to drive it last week because of a sudden “tire issue” that she had “no idea” how it happened. And it took me a day to get 2 new Michelins for her car.

Lemme tell you… for a plastic surgeon, she’s hard on cars. Her last Audi, she came home with a dent and missing the bumper light. I’m like “what happened?” “I dunno, someone hit me this morning I think…”

…..

Back