Most significant common cars of, lets call it the "Modern" period

From a European point of view, I'd say some Citroën...DS (maybe not very modern era), CX, BX (as ugly as it is), for the hydraulic suspension. But it's over now, so maybe not significant after all.
Volkswagen Golf, and its competitors... not only the GTI version!
Renault 5 in the small segment maybe.

Also maybe the Mercedes 190, but it never got the engines it deserved, or too late/too rare. Really helped spread Mercedes to the general public, as the entry level was more affordable.

Toyota Prius for hybrid, Chevrolet volt for plug in hybrid, and Tesla for full electric. Toyota Corona for small reliable Japanese car.

For me it would be an Alfa Giulia, first sporty mass produced saloon (better than 2002 IMO), VW Golf MK1, it was a game changer in many ways, and a FIAT 128, car that made that possible- first mass produced FWD transverse vehicle with gearbox on a side of a engine.

Camaro SS 1LE. For about $50K this car can best most supercars. Straight line performance of a flat out muscle car, with the handling of a compact German sports sedan. I don't think it's possible to find better bang for your buck.

Where it falters is upkeep. For example, the staggered tire setup can get pricey quickly, and it's also not something you can drive all year round.

To me though the best value is a WRX/STI. Turbo, real AWD, and manual. It's hard to find something that's fast, easy and cheap to maintain, extremely fun to drive, and great on gas (at least the WRX is). On top of that it's extremely practical. Four adults can fit comfortably in it, and the trunk has plenty of space. You can drive it year round, it's a top safety pick and it holds its resale value like nothing else. Find me something better for $30K brand new.

Front wheel drive popularity, maybe Saab? I had one from the early sixties. There were rubber donuts in the axles.
Disk brakes all around, Jaguar?

Discs breaks all around, Dusenberg :D
And FWD, Citroen^^

I'm mostly joking, but it's really interesting to see different points of view from different sides of the pond. Saab really seems to have had an influence in the US, that's cool.
(edit : I could also say Citroen for the disc brakes, but probably after Jaguar? Not sure which manufacturer used the Dunlop system all around first)

Discs breaks all around, Dusenberg :D
And FWD, Citroen^^

I'm mostly joking, but it's really interesting to see different points of view from different sides of the pond. Saab really seems to have had an influence in the US, that's cool.
(edit : I could also say Citroen for the disc brakes, but probably after Jaguar? Not sure which manufacturer used the Dunlop system all around first)
I'm thinking more of influence on the design catching popularity, not who invented it first. I guess Saab two strokes were not exactly popular though, but were an early front drive small car in the USA.

Charger and Challenger Hellcats,....because someone had to kick off the modern day horsepower wars between Dodge, Ford, and Chevy. We may be in the last years of such shenanigans, let's have fun with it. (MOPAR!)

For what reasons??? All of those are run of the mill vehicles that didn't really push technology in any particular way.
The Taurus jacked the Audi 100’s style and added modern transverse packaging. It was by all means a leader and served as the benchmark for the domestic family sedan.

Corvair was a RR flat6 compact car that served as an extremely versatile base platform and the second passenger automobile to ever be turbocharged (after the Olds 215 Jetfire). It was anything but contemporary.

The Caravan was the second real MPV, coming right after the Espace

For what reasons??? All of those are run of the mill vehicles that didn't really push technology in any particular way.

The Corvair's impact was on vehicle safety standards, Unsafe at Any Speed, etc. That book is why we have the modern PRND transmission layout. Back then, R was at the very end.

I have to upvote the Caravan/Voyager/Town & Country.

Chrysler pioneered a boat load of innovations with the triplets over the years and absolutely owned the market through the late 90's early 2000's. Caused the Sienna and Odyssey because Toyota and Honda owners had no where else to turn without abandoning the brand. Windstar/Freestar need not apply as they were garbage through their entire run, Kia Sedona and Hyundai edition showed up when the music stopped and lights were being turned on.

Back