Who's into base models?

Agreed. The sunroof is the worst offender. I've been forced into sunroofs on almost every car I've owned in order to get some other option.
Sunroof/moonroof to me is why I hit annoyed at place like Hooters…if want air you get a convertible—if you want to watch women prance you go to a gentleman’s club…. Just bought accord hybrid last week and am 6’3” long torso and that stupid moonroof sunroof cuts off two-threw inches of head room easily

This thread got me thinking, I have a weird thing for base model small pickups but if I went full size I'd want a High Country or Denali. I think it goes back to all the base model S-10s and Sonomas I drove back in the day, I loved these little stripped pickups. I picked this 2003 up in 2004 with 16k miles for $8k, manual everything, vinyl floor, 2.2/auto. Had a nice 60/40 cloth split bench with an armrest and A/C. Added a CD/cassette combo with Sirius and had everything I needed. Excuse the flip phone pics.

LuGRXyW.jpg

5OJXiNa.jpg

I've always had a thing for base model trim vehicles (or mid-trims with lots of options) and have owned several. In particular, VW has always, to me, produced outstanding base models packing lots of value w/r to safety and features AND not making them look so basic i.e. black trim etc. like many American brands. I feel these give the max possible value while out of a particular vehicle's lineup. I've owned:

2000 Jetta GL 5-spd. $17K new OTD (no deal on that one b/c the new MK4 gen had just hit the lot), notable base features...crank windows and no cruise control. Looked the same as all the other trims (GLS/GLX) with the exception of the wheels...came with hub caps. Simple...we just bought some VW accessory allow wheels and shazam! No more base model! Car went 220K/14 years before selling with v. little fuss/cost. Had side airbags which to me at the time was impressive for a base model car. This competed with getting the higher trim GLS which would have netted some better amenities (power windows, sunroof, cruise) but in the end, all of that would have broken anyway hahahah.

Current 2018 Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion and DSG. Unreal deal. $20K new OTD with a $26K sticker. Complete sleeper and effectively a Golf R wagon light. V. few folks knew/know what it is or that VW made these. Obviously I turned mine into someone quite a bit more now but still, even as a stock base-model car, v. feature-laden and unique. Dealer didn't even know they had it, I had to help them find it on the lot hidden behind all the SU/CUVs. This competed with me getting a GTI and I'm glad I got the awd wagon.

2013 Ford Focus SE 5-spd with all possible packages. $21K new OTD with a reasonable deal negotiated including lots of accessories aded-on that I wanted. So basically the more pedestrian SE trim but with leather, sunroof, appearance package (17s, r. discs) and winter package. Had to have them find it in another state b/c not many of the 5-speeds with that many options. My son drives this today at 10 years/125K. This is by far the lowest cost to operate vehicle I've ever owned and has held up surprising well (interior) for being an American economy car. This competed with me getting the ST and today, sure, I (and my son!) would have been happier with an ST but at that time, this is what I bought/could afford.

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. $22K OTD slightly used with ~10K miles on it. Had many option packages to get a bit more creature comforts. Great SUV and our family hauler for a few years before we did the right thing and sold off for the superior family hauler...a Honda Odyssey. Competed with the higher trim Eddie Bauer but in the end, I just didn't have the extra money for it but would have preferred it for the looks....Ford base/mid-trims have lots of black trim that is somewhat ugly to me.
I've owned a few lower trim levels, but ended up being unsatisified with them, and I sold them.
I made a decision years ago to only buy the high trim level vehicles.

I need the leather seats, leather steering wheel which is smooth as silk, heated seats, sunroof, Navigation screen, DVD screen, 8th seat (which you get in higher trim level Honda Odysseys), 3 zone ventilation (driver side front, passenger side front, middle row), and extra 12 Volt outlets, alarm system included for free, and the outside temperature on the dashboard.

Even though you pay more for a high trim level, you will get that extra money back someday when you sell the car.
You only live once. Better to live well than living adequately.

I've owned a few lower trim levels, but ended up being unsatisified with them, and I sold them.
I made a decision years ago to only buy the high trim level vehicles.

I need the leather seats, leather steering wheel which is smooth as silk, heated seats, sunroof, Navigation screen, DVD screen, 8th seat (which you get in higher trim level Honda Odysseys), 3 zone ventilation (driver side front, passenger side front, middle row), and extra 12 Volt outlets, alarm system included for free, and the outside temperature on the dashboard.

Even though you pay more for a high trim level, you will get that extra money back someday when you sell the car.
You only live once. Better to live well than living adequately.
Understand. You however don't get that money back when you sell the vehicle...only a fraction of the value of the higher trim costs typically.

The problem with buying a higher trim, once you do so, you tend to not want to go back.

I didn't want PS, PB, PW etc years ago. Now I can't imagine driving without them.

First time I adjusted my power seat while driving... my mind was blown. Now I expect my next car to have one too!

I have been buying base models from Echo Park and Carvana the past few purchases. I'm tired of the boring trim I need a sunroof in my life, and a bit more comfort.

I love my base model 2011 Ram 1500 "Tradesman". (Regular cab / short bed)

The Options that she does have are,
1. Chrome package.
2. Sliding back glass. (A must in a regular cab truck IMO)
3. Carpet / cloth seats

That's it! Manual windows, manual locks, manual seats, and 17" wheels. Dodge / Ram had the right idea back then with the Tradesman, they came standard with the 5.7l V8, “anti-spin” differential, satellite radio, and everything needed to make it a great work truck. Mine doesn't get worked like a work truck every day, but she's had her share of loads and towing. She's probably been more meticulously maintained and cleaned than most work trucks, probably more than most luxury cars for that matter. ;) 🍻

Last edited:
Back in the day..that was me. I was concerned about things breaking. Now I get the extended warranty. The more bells the better. (Except for facial recognition)

Life is to short for a base model. At least go one notch up the ladder
this!!

My son sold cars at the local Chevy dealer for a few years. He commented that lots of people say they love a base vehicle but no one buys them. The ones he saw languished on the lots. If they sold regularly the dealers would all stock them.

neighbor had an 84 or 85 F350 that had no radio or ac. 2wd, 6.9 diesel and a 4 speed manual. I remember it had a black plastic block off plate where a radio would have went. It was geared so low I don’t even think it could do 75.
What task/profession did he select that vehicle for?
lots of people say they love a base vehicle but no one buys them.
I've heard this all my life. I've also heard that dealerships select ugly colors for the few base models they order to turn customers' attention toward the dressed up ones.

A lady I knew who worked in department stores when color televisions were common swore that they'd down-tune certain sets and fine tune the color of those with the highest profit margins.

Ha, you haven't seen a "Television Department Hate" post in a long time, have you?

The guy I have bought most of my vehicles through goes back with me over 30 yrs. He is a straight up no BS guy. Except for the few years my son sold cars I have always dealt with one person. I trust other dealers as much as I trust a public drinking fountain in Tijuana during the pandemic.

What task/profession did he select that vehicle for?

He bought it well used. If I remember correctly the truck was originally owned by an company who came out to service oil burning furnaces and did hvac work. It had very faded company logos on it along with a vehicle unit number.

He used it to do the typical Home Depot / Lowe’s trip and dump runs. Rode to the landfill with him a couple of times to help unload heavy stuff. He never used first gear.

I would freakin love to have that truck today.

I remember the 2nd car I purchased back in the early 1990's was a 1988 Honda Civic DX 4 door sedan.
It had manual windows, and lacked some key features. I still loved the car, but the higher trim levels had slick power windows and power locks, better apolstered seats, and a sun roof, and also the bright red horizontal reflector on the trunk. I later thought what a mistake it was to not have that luxury.

I think many here haven't looked a modern base model, especially one from VW i.e. GTI etc., very feature-laden vs. many of the Japanese and American brands. I mean Toyota wasn't even including Apple Car Play in some higher-end vehicles up until just a few years ago.

I think many here haven't looked a modern base model, especially one from VW i.e. GTI etc., very feature-laden vs. many of the Japanese and American brands. I mean Toyota wasn't even including Apple Car Play in some higher-end vehicles up until just a few years ago.
You are right about the VW GTI. I have a 2017 base model (S) that has everything I could want in a car. Clark plaid cloth seats, heated seats, Apple Car play. I did splurge and got the optional DSG automatic transmisssion, which is great.
I

+2

My WRX base is by far the most well-equipped vehicle I have ever owned. By a wide margin. And by being a base, it has none of the stuff I specifically didn't want, mainly sunroof and leather seats. As mentioned earlier, today's base models are no longer the "poverty-spec" vehicles of the 60s and 70s.

Interestingly, I am always fascinated by certain oddly-optioned vehicles I run across occasionally. I have a Fiero GT, and like nearly all Fieros, it came with a Delco radio. But I've seen one or two without a radio, just a blank panel there that says "Fiero". Must've been ordered by the guy who hates music! Or the occasional random cars with no light in the rear trunk, just a plain gray panel there instead of a lens. I took out my trunk bulb years ago, but that plain gray panel would be nice to have instead. I don't need the stupid trunk light blinding me when I am replacing a water pump or ignition module!

After decades of being tortured in Co. fleet vehicles where the only luxury in the later years was maybe A/C and power steering no way. Only got that if it was standard equipment, 3 on the tree until it was dropped and had Armstrong steering until the late '80's in E vans and 60 mph air up into the mid '90's.
Crank windows, no power locks, no remote functions, etc. I'm not torturing myself in my vehicles to save a couple rubles.

I don’t think a true base model exists anymore, but if they do it’s my starting point for deciding what I want. I think there are only a few “fancy” features I can’t live without.

I must have AC. The only way I’m buying a car without AC is if I have fallen on absolute financial ruin.

• I want the radio, antenna and speakers installed at the factory. My 87 Toyota truck didn’t even come with an AM radio and that was a PITA I never want again.
  • If a sedan or hatch I want an electric rear window defroster.
  • I will happily pay more for cruise control, but with drive by wire these days it’s not too hard to install it yourself.
  • I wouldn’t mind power brakes and power steering, but I’ve owned vehicles without both and it’s not a deal breaker.
  • Hand crank windows and manual locks would be fine with me, but I do enjoy the convenience of a key fob.
  • My Nissan Titan is the only vehicle I’ve ever bought with an automatic transmission, but I think my days of buying manuals are just about over.

I have never owned a vehicle with a sunroof and I never want one. As my dad said, “Why would you want to saw a hole in a perfectly good roof?” I don’t want heated seats either, or power seat adjustments, or power doors/tailgate. Or fancy upholstery. And I absolutely HATE the electronic parking brake on my Mazda.

Back