Attached to older car

Our family currently has 2 paid for vehicles:

2011 Mazda 6, 202k miles
2018 Buick Encore, 49k miles

We are planning to buy a cash minivan for our growing family. The idea was for when this time came we’d be in a house with a 2 car garage. Economics had a different plan for that.

Our home has a 1 car garage and we only have room for 2 cars. Our HOA is strict and won’t allow for parking on the street. I have nowhere to put a 3rd vehicle and do not want to deal with the overlords.

Having trouble wrapping my mind around getting rid of my 2011 Mazda6 I’ve owned since new. It’s old, clunky, has various gremlins associated with high mileage cars, but it just refuses to die…or maybe I’m just in denial in end of life care and refuse to pull the plug. Every 6 months or so I’ve been dumping $500 into it for various things. $1000 repairs have become more common too and it seems to go another 6 months every time just asking for some gas. I’m attached to the darn thing I’ll admit. My work mileage reimbursement over the 13 years I’ve owned this have paid for the original purchase price 2 times over. I guess I can say I’ve gotten my money out of it. Strictly economically speaking I know it makes sense to dump $1000/yr into a clunker to keep in on the road. But I’ve broken down and accepted the fact that quality of life suffers trying to stuff kids and their accessories into a small econobox or a rickety sedan.

I think I just need outside counsel from unattached internet strangers telling me it’s time to sell the old girl and put aside my fondness for a hunk of mental.

Anyone else battle with attachment to their cars when it’s time for it to go?

Last edited:
Well, I don't know how many kids you have or plan to have, but you probably don't need a minivan. (I get it, they sure are convenient) And that Mazda will probably keep on trucking for another 100k at least. If you are spending $2,500/year on maintenance, that's barely over $200/month. Way less than a car loan payment. On the other hand, you might not miss that car as much as you think you will. I became pretty attached to a Volvo we had for 21 years (since brand new) and while I have fond memories, I don't really miss it all that much. Same with all the other cars I've had over the years.

Sorry, I'm sure that didn't help... Make a list with pro and con columns, then write down all the pros and cons of trading up, see what wins.

BTW... If she wants to trade up to a minivan, forget everything I said and get used to the idea. ;)

A minivan is the ideal family vehicle. We had a couple when we had kids at home plus a large dog and they worked well for us.
If we had kids at home now, it would be hard to beat a Sienna hybrid.
Pricey, but you give up nothing for the shear ease of use as well as near econobox fuel economy.

Well, I don't know how many kids you have or plan to have, but you probably don't need a minivan. (I get it, they sure are convenient)
We have an 18 month old. The 2nd is on the way arriving this fall. We definitely don’t need it, it’s definitely a want and convenience factor. The issue is with the Buick and a rear facing car seat the passenger seat needs to be slid all the way forward for the seat to fit and my wife and I are tall people - so our knees are against the dashboard. We’ve been making do, but it’s definitely not comfortable.

What does your wife say? Wives are usually pretty smart about this kind of stuff.
She is 100% wanting the minivan. But she doesn’t get attached to old cars like I do lol.

Does your condo have an overflow parking lot somewhere? Maybe you could hold onto the Mazda a while longer.

A minivan is the ideal family vehicle. We had a couple when we had kids at home plus a large dog and they worked well for us.
If we had kids at home now, it would be hard to beat a Sienna hybrid.
Pricey, but you give up nothing for the shear ease of use as well as near econobox fuel economy.

We love the practicality of them. Sliding doors are a dream. I’m somewhat convinced if more people with kids looked at one they’d probably would want one.

I agree with the poster that said you likely won't miss the older car/s all that much. Used cars pass a point where they're worth keeping both economically and mentally, imo. I say that as I own a first year Miata with over 200K miles on it, but.. it's pristine and mechanically in very good shape, literally a car you could drive coast to coast if you didn't mind the WWII era Jeep comfort level of it, haha. Seriously though, just dump the car and get yourself a nice minivan, within a short time I bet you'll rarely think back to the previous cars. It's the experiences you and your family will have in the minivan that will be what you remember.

Does your condo have an overflow parking lot somewhere? Maybe you could hold onto the Mazda a while longer.
The townhome community does have a couple of overflow parking areas (about 6 parking spaces each), but they are typically full, and neighbors closest to them are defensive over them. They are in areas of the community where the townhomes do not have a garage and driveway (just spaces in front of the curb). We are in a portion that has a garage and driveway.

Recently a lot of the older folks who used to live in this neighborhood have for various reasons left. They used to have one, maybe two cars. A bunch of investors swooped in and have bought some units to rent them out to younger people. Often there are multiple roommates with cars so now parking has become an issue over the past year or so. For many years we’ve lived here parking has never been an issue before - I could park in overflow. Now the HOA is cracking down so the fun is over.

That's a tough one and I get it! I have a hard time thinking about letting the Crown Vic go, and am about to buy back a 2003 Corolla that I sold to my buddy 10 years ago.

But family needs trump that of course, minivans are very convenient for families. Plus if the wife wants it....may be time to send the Mazda into the sunset.

If the wife wants a van I’m afraid that you are doomed. Fortunately my wife hated minivans even more than I did.

I have no advice to give here. I'm still daily driving this 1994 Tercel and have absolutely zero plans to upgrade. Matter of fact, if this thing had an engine or transmission failure I'd probably fix it just because it's so reliable.
1716426254827.jpg

Yeah, I still miss my VW, but part of selling it was to make sure I wasn't overly attached. At over 300k and after patching the hood, fenders and rear hatch, I think many would say, it was time.

I was (still) attached to my '99 Camry but my daughter flipped it. That one's a hard one on me: had I not bought a newer car, she wouldn't have driven it in the snow. But had I given her the newer car, she might not have flipped the newer car (due to having VSC), and at the very least, insurance would have had to replace that car. But that car did have a few bugs and was far from new.

I'm thinking, it may be time to move on. Make a list of everything that is wrong. Use that to convince yourself.

Is this a for sale add? What color is the Mazda 6?

I dumped a few that fit your description. I miss them all. I won't live like that any more. They all stay going forward.
The color is officially called ‘comet grey mica’. 6 speed manual transmission. A rare unicorn!

Back