SYLVANIA HEADLIGHT RESTORATION KIT - Impressive results - photos

I know this has been a never ending topic. Cars look dated way before their time because of sun damaged yellow headlights.
Ive used everything over the years, results do not last. Latest most effective was Crest Toothpaste Ultra Whitener works excellent by putting it on a wet sponge and rubbing it to like new in some cases. However I know without a sealer it will not last.

So in my garage for the last year I had this Sylvania Kit that I think I learned about in this very forum. It's pretty straight forward, take your time and then when you put on the clear UV protectant the lights come to life with a nice shine. I wont know how long it last for a long time, I expect at least a year since it says ten years on the box *LOL*

I managed to squeeze two cars (4 headlights) out of a box but the second car was already down with toothpaste. My 2017 Trailblazer was my focus and I was NOT looking to save product for the second car but it was left over. All I can say is wow for now.
Hope this helps. It can be bought almost anyplace including Amazon, Walmart etc.

IMG_7961.JPG
IMG_7958.JPG
IMG_7964.JPG
IMG_7968.JPG
Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 11.12.08 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, looks good. Sylvania kit ranked and tested #1 by at least a couple sources. Curious, did you have to tape off area around lights. I prefer the hand applied kits to drill type. Don't trust my drill skills with the latter. Key will be how long restoration lasts. CC application at end should help with that.

Skip the $$ kits. Do it Cyd's way. Did my 9-3 Saab lights and they turned out just like his.

I get that and for those who want to bother I am sure it works as you state. I think I might have seen your post on it a long time ago or someone else's in here. I just never got around to getting the stuff, I Was always getting it nice and shiny but lacked putting on the clear coat so quickly turned yellowish again.

Then one time a long while back I saw someones post about the Sylvania Kit.

For people like me (ha ha) $21 seems reasonable, everything in the one box, 3 different grades of wet sandpaper, polishing compound, an activator solution, and final UV clear coat. Also comes with the towels needed, clear step by step instructions and a glove to apply the UV protectant.
Best part is you dont need to remove the headlight since the UV solution is wipe on.

Nice job, looks good. Sylvania kit ranked and tested #1 by at least a couple sources. Curious, did you have to tape off area around lights. I prefer the hand applied kits to drill type. Don't trust my drill skills with the latter. Key will be how long restoration lasts. CC application at end should help with that.
Yes, I remember the ratings and posts in I am almost certain this forum.

I did use and I think the instructions said to tape around the headlight. I used the blue painters tape. Maybe the 1 inch wide stuff, nothing drastic. I didnt get crazy but made certain if I strayed off the headlight that I didnt hit the paint or chrome with the sandpaper.

It only makes sense as you are also spraying on this activator stuff to start (just a squirt bottle solution) but what I think more important is the tape prevents you from hitting the surrounding area with the fine sandpaper and polishing compound that you are going to use.

Sylvania was the first kit I ever used and I've always been partial to them. I don't think it ranked that well in he-who-angers-BITOG-bosses testing.

I always got good results similar to OP, but it'll only last about a year, so I still prefer new lenses altogether.

I always wanted to test the LT warranty and even saved a receipt once for this very reason. But when the time rolled around I was too busy or too lazy to pursue it.

On the contrary...PF ranked the Sylvania headlight restoration kit #1, followed by the Ceratec kit.
It's been awhile since I watched, clearly (no pun intended)

Not that I would ever admit to having watched such disinformation. All Heil BITOG .....and all that yada yada

I swear, I think it's a conspiracy to make cars look old faster so you get the urge buy a new one.

Those headlights look like new. Nice job!

It's not a conspiracy; it's a conscious business practice that started a long time ago. If I'm not mistaken, it began when DuPont acquired a portion of General Motors (GM). They started formulating paint in such a way that it would fade over time, making cars look older faster than they should. Today, this practice continues, not just in the automotive industry. For example, look at Apple products and how quickly they can appear "old" if not treated with the utmost care.

Back