Attached to older car

The color is officially called ‘comet grey mica’. 6 speed manual transmission. A rare unicorn!
So your trading this for a minivan.

1716426645823.jpg

When I had to let my 2000 GTI go in 2018, it was very emotional for me. It felt like losing a beloved pet or something. I loved that car but couldn't keep it around as a project.

For many years we’ve lived here parking has never been an issue before - I could park in overflow. Now the HOA is cracking down so the fun is over.

Haven't lived in townhouses for over 30 years and this reminds me why I'm so glad I don't now. I cant remember how I got away with parking this parts car there for months back in the 80's.

2.jpg

Does your garage have room for this?

autostacker-a6s-parking-lift-standard-width.png

The car seat(s) won't fit in the Buick and the Mazda is becoming unreliable. Putting mom and infants in a unreliable car isn't a good plan. If the Mazda has to stay the Buick has to go. Let's see, attachment to old car or welfare of kids and happy wife...
We all know what's going to happen. We can only commiserate.

The car seat(s) won't fit in the Buick and the Mazda is becoming unreliable. Putting mom and infants in a unreliable car isn't a good plan. If the Mazda has to stay the Buick has to go. Let's see, attachment to old car or welfare of kids and happy wife...
I make bets in a couple years the Mazda is more reliable than the Daewoo made Buick.

Our family currently has 2 paid for vehicles:

2011 Mazda 6, 202k miles
2018 Buick Encore, 49k miles

We are planning to buy a cash minivan for our growing family. The idea was for when this time came we’d be in a house with a 2 car garage. Economics had a different plan for that.

Our home has a 1 car garage and we only have room for 2 cars. Our HOA is strict and won’t allow for parking on the street. I have nowhere to put a 3rd vehicle and do not want to deal with the overlords.

Having trouble wrapping my mind around getting rid of my 2011 Mazda6 I’ve owned since new. It’s old, clunky, has various gremlins associated with high mileage cars, but it just refuses to die…or maybe I’m just in denial in end of life care and refuse to pull the plug. Every 6 months or so I’ve been dumping $500 into it for various things. $1000 repairs have become more common too and it seems to go another 6 months every time just asking for some gas. I’m attached to the darn thing I’ll admit. My work mileage reimbursement over the 13 years I’ve owned this have paid for the original purchase price 2 times over. I guess I can say I’ve gotten my money out of it. Strictly economically speaking I know it makes sense to dump $1000/yr into a clunker to keep in on the road. But I’ve broken down and accepted the fact that quality of life suffers trying to stuff kids and their accessories into a small econobox or a rickety sedan.

I think I just need outside counsel from unattached internet strangers telling me it’s time to sell the old girl and put aside my fondness for a hunk of mental.

Anyone else battle with attachment to their cars when it’s time for it to go?
You have room to stack them?
1716430209440.jpeg

Haven't lived in townhouses for over 30 years and this reminds me why I'm so glad I don't now. I cant remember how I got away with parking this parts car there for months back in the 80's.

View attachment 220663
This reminds me of The Dude’s car from the Big Lebowski. Was there a Credence tape loaded in the stereo?

To be honest, I would blame the economy and hold out for a little while longer. Things are still shaky out there.

And sales are dropping, so you will have a better chance of getting a much better deal as well…..

I do get emotionally attached to my vehicles and it would be hard to let some of them go. I've owned my 70 Monte Carlo for 37 years and probably could never get myself to sell it. I bought my 98 K1500 new so 26 years of ownership and I still love how this truck looks and it still runs and looks great so I probably wouldn't let go of it very easily. I've owned my two 92 Cavaliers for about 18 years and my other 98 Chevy truck for 17 years. My 14 Mustang is my newest car. I bought it new and have had it for almost 11 years now.

^It's great that you can buy and keep cars forever but what if you only had room for 2 as is the OP's dilemma?

Old Mazda vs newer Daewoo reliability isn't really a thing since wife and kids will be in the minivan and OP is driving the Mazda now and dealing with repairs regularly that probably mean having it out of service.

Keeping an old car running makes financial sense but there's an inconvenience factor getting things fixed and especially if it breaks down and that little voice wondering what's going to break next that some can deal with and some can't.

Keeping both cars isn't going to get more convenient as the little one gets older and the new one comes.

Minivans are ridiculously large nowadays. The last one that made sense to me is the Mazda 5, one of which I still have. If I had to replace it tomorrow, I would probably go with a Subaru Outback. I had a 2001 and the cargo space was fantastic (if a bit short vertically).

I seriosly doubt that older Encore is going to last another 5 years. Look at youtube or read some reviews. There are even issues getting certain parts.

If your spending $1000 on repairs a year on the Mazda that is nothing. As long as its not leaving you on the side of the road.

If it was me I would sell the Daewoo while it has some value in it, get the minivan, and see what life brings. The Mazda won't bring much anyway so worst case your replacing it in a year or two but at least you have the money from the Daewoo.

Or that is what I would do.

Dump it, the car is nothing special. Family takes priority. Maybe if this was something unique, then maybe, but family still takes priority.

I almost guarantee you and your wife will love the minivan. It’s made for families, even if you have only two children. They’re just easier to live with. Easier to get the child seats in and out, the sliding doors are fantastic in tight spots and you have plenty of various storage areas for diapers, wipes, extra clothes etc.

I actually find it surprising that the stigma of driving a minivan persists to this day when the soccer mom vehicle of choice is clearly an SUV.

It's always the rust in Illinois if you drive in the winter. My 2008 base Accent three door is my favorite, most useful car I've ever had. It's at 191k miles and getting lighter by the day.

Back