Attached to older car

I trimmed down row six to four; when I retire in January we will likely sell the X1 and my wife will take over the Wrangler. Which will hopefully make room for another entertaining project.

I would not get a minivan. It is really a one trick pony, no different than a car, other than space. If you ever plan on getting a small RV, or boat, or something of the sort, I suggest a Suburban. They are the same size or close, and can do many things well.

The wife thing and the "let go of stuff thing" is up to you.

I would not get a minivan. It is really a one trick pony, no different than a car, other than space. If you ever plan on getting a small RV, or boat, or something of the sort, I suggest a Suburban. They are the same size or close, and can do many things well.

The wife thing and the "let go of stuff thing" is up to you.
Minivans are typically cheaper than mid/full size SUVs by and large (purchase price, operating costs, etc.) They are easier to drive and maneuver. The sliding doors allow for easier entry and existing. The rear storage is actually usable with a third row configuration in comparison to something like a Tahoe or Traverse. And you can get them in hybrid models and/or AWD. The only leg up the SUV has is in the towing or ground clearance department.

I have owned both full and mid size SUVs and a minivan. I’d say the SUV is the one trick pony since the only thing it does better is towing.

I use my V6 Sienna for camping. Typically get around 24 or 25 mpg on highway. Have been wanting to get a RAV4 Hybrid and an Aliner camping trailer to replace it. It's hard to justify this move because when towing the RAV4 hybrid would probably drop down to 29 mpg or so and I would have to buy a new vehicle and trailer to achieve what I already have for a just five MPG improvement. Not to mention increase taxes and insurance on a trailer and new vehicle. Couple weeks ago I pulled all the camping gear out of my van and it is amazing how many bags of mulch you can put into an empty minivan. When my grandkids are in town I convert the Sienna back to passenger mode with all the seating available.

I sold my 1992 Mazda Miata after having owned it for eight years. It was my college car. It was difficult to sell, emotional. But I don’t care about it anymore. No regrets.

You’ll probably be fine after selling the Mazda, although consider the recommendations of others here. Sell the Buick. But 200k miles on the Mazda may be too many if you don’t want to be fixing something frequently.

I just spent $3500 on a 1995 F150 with 253K miles so I understand.
I too have a mazda 6. Its newer so It hasnt had any repairs except a blower motor early on and a couple of batteries. 120k currently and it has a manual transmission too. I am still angry with mazda for not letting me buy the grand touring model with a manual. I wanted a moonroof but they say I cant have it.

I've been driving my 2003 Civic for over 20 years, I get it. Bought it new on 11/30/2003. Good luck with your decision.

Our family currently has 2 paid for vehicles:

2011 Mazda 6, 202k miles
2018 Buick Encore, 49k miles

We are planning to buy a cash minivan for our growing family. The idea was for when this time came we’d be in a house with a 2 car garage. Economics had a different plan for that.

Our home has a 1 car garage and we only have room for 2 cars. Our HOA is strict and won’t allow for parking on the street. I have nowhere to put a 3rd vehicle and do not want to deal with the overlords.

Having trouble wrapping my mind around getting rid of my 2011 Mazda6 I’ve owned since new. It’s old, clunky, has various gremlins associated with high mileage cars, but it just refuses to die…or maybe I’m just in denial in end of life care and refuse to pull the plug. Every 6 months or so I’ve been dumping $500 into it for various things. $1000 repairs have become more common too and it seems to go another 6 months every time just asking for some gas. I’m attached to the darn thing I’ll admit. My work mileage reimbursement over the 13 years I’ve owned this have paid for the original purchase price 2 times over. I guess I can say I’ve gotten my money out of it. Strictly economically speaking I know it makes sense to dump $1000/yr into a clunker to keep in on the road. But I’ve broken down and accepted the fact that quality of life suffers trying to stuff kids and their accessories into a small econobox or a rickety sedan.

I think I just need outside counsel from unattached internet strangers telling me it’s time to sell the old girl and put aside my fondness for a hunk of mental.

Anyone else battle with attachment to their cars when it’s time for it to go?
Living in Michigan with heavily salted roads I haven't become too attached to any cars except my 2001 Miata which didn't see any winter driving until it's last 2 years. I did however LOVE having several mini-vans over a 30 period while raising kids! The practicality can not be overstated. From lugging strollers, playpens, high chairs, toys to car pooling soccer teams, camping and moving into college dorms they are unbeatable! I highly recommend you get a mini-van.

Side note: I don't know if other manufacturers offer it now, but, the stow-n-go seats in the Chrysler vans was a very useful feature. Wish the reliability could have been close to a Toyota.

Last edited:
Rule 1 never ever buy a place with an HOA. Nothing more fun than another sub government to pay to, and control your place.

As of Friday the Mazda 6 is gone and a Honda Odyssey is in its place. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I still have all the memories. Took a few last photos as a memento. Looking forward to creating new memories with the van and growing a family. I’m sure someday this one will be even harder to part with than the Mazda. Thanks everyone.

Personally I like HOAs, but they aren't for everyone.
I would adore an HOA or any organization for that matter that enforced people cleaning up after their dogs. So many detestable idiots don’t clean up dog poop where I live. Inconsiderate morons. They deserve consequences for this, but no communities I have lived in have done anything but send out a barking email with no bite. Boils my blood, these disrespectful reprobates.

I would adore an HOA or any organization for that matter that enforced people cleaning up after their dogs. So many detestable idiots don’t clean up dog poop where I live. Inconsiderate morons. They deserve consequences for this, but no communities I have lived in have done anything but send out a barking email with no bite. Boils my blood, these disrespectful reprobates.

That's a great thought but how exactly would you expect the HOA to enforce it? FTR agree with you.

As of Friday the Mazda 6 is gone and a Honda Odyssey is in its place. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I still have all the memories. Took a few last photos as a memento. Looking forward to creating new memories with the van and growing a family. I’m sure someday this one will be even harder to part with than the Mazda. Thanks everyone.
Nice and congrats on the purchase.
I like how you’re looking towards making new memories. This is the right kind of attitude to have IMO.

Well, I don't know how many kids you have or plan to have, but you probably don't need a minivan. (I get it, they sure are convenient) And that Mazda will probably keep on trucking for another 100k at least. If you are spending $2,500/year on maintenance, that's barely over $200/month. Way less than a car loan payment. On the other hand, you might not miss that car as much as you think you will. I became pretty attached to a Volvo we had for 21 years (since brand new) and while I have fond memories, I don't really miss it all that much. Same with all the other cars I've had over the years.

Sorry, I'm sure that didn't help... Make a list with pro and con columns, then write down all the pros and cons of trading up, see what wins.

BTW... If she wants to trade up to a minivan, forget everything I said and get used to the idea. ;)
I quit reading at Volvo.

Congrats on the new mini-van! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Back