Attached to older car

I have always had an older "toy" car to play with. I usually change it every year or two. I am now on year three with the Corvette, and can't see myself selling it. I get the itch to move on from time to time, but then I drive it and fall in love all over again. I think it is time to do a major modification. Maybe a new rear diff.?

I seriosly doubt that older Encore is going to last another 5 years. Look at youtube or read some reviews. There are even issues getting certain parts.

If your spending $1000 on repairs a year on the Mazda that is nothing. As long as its not leaving you on the side of the road.

If it was me I would sell the Daewoo while it has some value in it, get the minivan, and see what life brings. The Mazda won't bring much anyway so worst case your replacing it in a year or two but at least you have the money from the Daewoo.

Or that is what I would do.
I dunno. With the kids, I'm a 3 Trax family (2015, 2016, 2022) and they all have been very reliable. Yes they have their quirks, but parts are cheap... and available. (My knuckles are bleeding from knocking on wood so hard!)

Our family currently has 2 paid for vehicles:

2011 Mazda 6, 202k miles
2018 Buick Encore, 49k miles

We are planning to buy a cash minivan for our growing family. The idea was for when this time came we’d be in a house with a 2 car garage. Economics had a different plan for that.

Our home has a 1 car garage and we only have room for 2 cars. Our HOA is strict and won’t allow for parking on the street. I have nowhere to put a 3rd vehicle and do not want to deal with the overlords.

Having trouble wrapping my mind around getting rid of my 2011 Mazda6 I’ve owned since new. It’s old, clunky, has various gremlins associated with high mileage cars, but it just refuses to die…or maybe I’m just in denial in end of life care and refuse to pull the plug. Every 6 months or so I’ve been dumping $500 into it for various things. $1000 repairs have become more common too and it seems to go another 6 months every time just asking for some gas. I’m attached to the darn thing I’ll admit. My work mileage reimbursement over the 13 years I’ve owned this have paid for the original purchase price 2 times over. I guess I can say I’ve gotten my money out of it. Strictly economically speaking I know it makes sense to dump $1000/yr into a clunker to keep in on the road. But I’ve broken down and accepted the fact that quality of life suffers trying to stuff kids and their accessories into a small econobox or a rickety sedan.

I think I just need outside counsel from unattached internet strangers telling me it’s time to sell the old girl and put aside my fondness for a hunk of mental.

Anyone else battle with attachment to their cars when it’s time for it to go?
Yeah my 1997 geo prizm. I bought it with 46k miles on it on the dot from my aunt and uncle when they moved. I managed to get 246k and some change before the harmonic balancer sheared off. I looked at buying a used engine, a rebuilt engine etc. It also needed a new clutch etc. Then the city complained. I donated it to the local vocational school that has a vehicle repair program.

To be honest, I would blame the economy and hold out for a little while longer. Things are still shaky out there.

And sales are dropping, so you will have a better chance of getting a much better deal as well…..
Yeah even teslas are stacking up on lots. Apparently Cybertrucks are now stacking up at overflow lots. I just saw a commercial from the local ford dealer offering $4,500 off all remaining 2023 models left over.

I have always had an older "toy" car to play with. I usually change it every year or two. I am now on year three with the Corvette, and can't see myself selling it. I get the itch to move on from time to time, but then I drive it and fall in love all over again. I think it is time to do a major modification. Maybe a new rear diff.?
A Calloway twin turbo upgrade.

Oooh a good option. Does your vette have an lsd? If not 1.5 vs 2 way lsd.

I believe all C5's have LSD from the factory.
I have a 3.42, looking to go to a 3.90 or 4.10. It has way too high of gears from the factory. Top speed is had in 5th (6th is a 0.5 ratio). Even with a 4.10 final it will do over 60 in 2nd.

I cringe at the HOA stories. I had friends that moved into one and soon moved out. They had 2 car garage so couldn't even leave a car in the driveway overnight.

I have wife, 2 kids, future daughter-in-law, father in law in my house. 3 cars in driveway, 3 on street before the friends come over.

I learned many things here and when I retire, HOA is one of those things I definitely want to avoid.

Minivans have a stigma but they really are the best for many things.

Attachment is good and bad to the old cars. Maintenance might be cheaper than payments. Safety features have to be recognized with the newer things especially for family. Some drunk/drugged/texting/not paying attention idiot can wipe out any of the vehicles. Major mechanical happens.

I was going to drive my 5MT Sonata forever until something in motor went and potential repair cost combined with rust said nope, move on. Rust was same issue on the Sequoia.

I can't imagine parting with the Club Sport- unless someone gave me an M1 or an E30 M3.

I'm finding myself less and less attached to my cars as I get older. What started that, though, was letting go of my first emotional car. It gets easier from there.

I don't know much about the Buick and if it would make more sense or not, but if the car is your Daily, and the minivan your wife's, you should choose what you would rather drive and go with that.

When my dad sold his one owner, bought new Barracuda a few years back, I thought the world ended. All of us have moved on, no problem. It actually seemed more difficult for me than my dad!

GMFan I think you already know the answer. It is getting unreliable and you are dumping 500 here 1000 there. It is a nice car but it is 13 years old and 200k miles. It has served you well and it is time to pass it on to another owner who 1) has more time to DIY repair and 2) don't need the extra space for car seats / kids stuff on the road.

I had to get rid of my Corolla a few years ago too and it was sad to see it go, but it was a right move. 27 years and 270k miles. Things that supposed to last forever is starting to break, blue smoke when starting, rattles started showing up, paints started peeling, and any money I put in would never pay for itself (what good is a brand new alternator or AC compressor if the engine fail, for example). The junkyard was also trying to see if I have family members who would take it over as it was well maintained, but we all need to work and our cars need to be reliable. It was engineered to last 200k and at 270k seems like everything is reaching the end of life at the same time.

Our family currently has 2 paid for vehicles:

2011 Mazda 6, 202k miles
2018 Buick Encore, 49k miles

We are planning to buy a cash minivan for our growing family. The idea was for when this time came we’d be in a house with a 2 car garage. Economics had a different plan for that.

Our home has a 1 car garage and we only have room for 2 cars. Our HOA is strict and won’t allow for parking on the street. I have nowhere to put a 3rd vehicle and do not want to deal with the overlords.

Having trouble wrapping my mind around getting rid of my 2011 Mazda6 I’ve owned since new. It’s old, clunky, has various gremlins associated with high mileage cars, but it just refuses to die…or maybe I’m just in denial in end of life care and refuse to pull the plug. Every 6 months or so I’ve been dumping $500 into it for various things. $1000 repairs have become more common too and it seems to go another 6 months every time just asking for some gas. I’m attached to the darn thing I’ll admit. My work mileage reimbursement over the 13 years I’ve owned this have paid for the original purchase price 2 times over. I guess I can say I’ve gotten my money out of it. Strictly economically speaking I know it makes sense to dump $1000/yr into a clunker to keep in on the road. But I’ve broken down and accepted the fact that quality of life suffers trying to stuff kids and their accessories into a small econobox or a rickety sedan.

I think I just need outside counsel from unattached internet strangers telling me it’s time to sell the old girl and put aside my fondness for a hunk of mental.

Anyone else battle with attachment to their cars when it’s time for it to go?
Living in a 1-car garaged townhome myself I understand the inconvenience. The Mazda 6 represents that past which you will never have again. It's time for the Mazda to make way for the future.

"The storage unit cost for climate-controlled storage units typically ranges from $75 to $225 per month, while the average cost of non-climate-controlled storage units falls between $25 and $125 per month."

Store the Mazda and keep it for when you have time and space to work on it yourself later. Buy the minivan.

Dump it, the car is nothing special. Family takes priority. Maybe if this was something unique, then maybe, but family still takes priority.

I almost guarantee you and your wife will love the minivan. It’s made for families, even if you have only two children. They’re just easier to live with. Easier to get the child seats in and out, the sliding doors are fantastic in tight spots and you have plenty of various storage areas for diapers, wipes, extra clothes etc.

I actually find it surprising that the stigma of driving a minivan persists to this day when the soccer mom vehicle of choice is clearly an SUV.
The stigma comes from minivans not being “sexy” or “cool.” Soccers Moms and Golf Dads want trucks and SUVs because it makes them feel like they still got it. Karen and Kyle won’t admit sexy and cool went out the window 3 kids, 50lbs, and 20 years ago.

Sell the Buick and get the minivan. Have two newer cars higher insurance taxes etc. Never know what you might find to replace the Mazda. I can’t say too much we have four vehicles.. the truck was gpas, the focus was my sisters and the escape everything happened in for the last 17 years. The Festiva I originally got back in 03. Good thing they’re cheap but really need to trim down.

Back