Junk car caravan

Same thing on I-25 south. You see three car caravans all the time. Sketchy and slow, but I've never ever seen the CSP pull any of them over.
They're just heading to Pueblo, duh. It's basically Mexico but less good tequila and natural vanilla.....

Mexico, Cuba….
That’s interesting. I don’t believe used American cars are making it to Cuba. I only saw the pre-60’s American cars there. Having said that, I’m only speaking of recognizable cars like Chevy’s and Ford’s and not Toyota’s. Castro banned the importation of American cars and car parts as a response to America putting Cuba on an embargo. Things are thawing however, and parts of the embargo might be pulled off eventually.

Last edited:
That’s interesting. I don’t believe used American cars are making it to Cuba. I only saw the pre-60’s American cars there. Having said that, I’m only speaking of recognizable cars like Chevy’s and Ford’s and not Toyota’s.

I think some of that is more in the last 5 years or so. While they like their old cars, they’ve starting phasing in some newer stuff as well. Much of the reason those cars were successful there was the price. I think that is the reason for a slow change into some of the newer stuff as well……

I think some of that is more in the last 5 years or so. While they like their old cars, they’ve starting phasing in some newer stuff as well. Much of the reason those cars were successful there was the price. I think that is the reason for a slow change into some of the newer stuff as well……
There were some other postings on Cuba lately. An internet search shows the average age of a vehicle in Cuba is 30 years. There are 60,000 vintage American vehicles and another 400,000 vehicles from places around the world. There are still a lot of Ladas from the Soviet era but also lots of modern European cars. At a hotel I stayed at there was a line up of Peugeot taxis. Those taxi’s eventually filter down to private ownership. Cuba is a huge vacation for Canadians. I like my Cafe Americano!

FA67C48D-2E81-4F26-B403-7518E7B6BC7F.jpg

I saw one today, including a beat up bumperless Fusion towing a bigger vehicle (small SUV?) on I-75 N in KY. When I saw the rear vehicle towing a car on a dolly, and another empty dolly on the towed car's hitch-I got as far away as possible! I'm sure they had a CDL for pulling that "double"! :ROFLMAO:

Don't need a CDL to tow double in many states...

One thing I've noticed in the last few years is I'll see what I'm going to call a "junk car caravan" -

One car towing another down the interstate (they are always heading south it seems like). The lead car usually has minor damage and the towed car has the front bumper cover removed and a tow bar attached to the metal bumper underneath. Usually there are additional brake lights attached to the towed car and the towed car will also have some body damage.

I guess what is happening is small-time car lots are buying rolling vehicles at auction with moderate body damage in order to repair and flip, but they don't have a car carrier to haul them back on. Or maybe this is just a more efficient method if you don't have a semi to haul cars.

Have you seen this? Do you have any more insight?
I see it all the time in new Mexico. Always heading south.

I have hired many a migrant working here in the Midwest over my career. They generally buy a car up here and take it to the border, where they sell it to a dealer who then takes it over. I did some work in inner Mexico and had to laugh at all the Minnesota plates on rusty cars and trucks I saw there. They don’t even register them, and find the plates to be a sense of pride!!!

Cars and parts are hard to find in Mexico. A running car is gold regardless what it looks like.

Back