Most significant common cars of, lets call it the "Modern" period

There are many other contenders, lets hear your thoughts.

This started off as a discussion between a few car friends and I over drinks...maybe too many, hence the results.

What were the most impactful cars or models over the past say ~60 years? By impactful, or significant we meant not exotics or halo cars, prototypes, etc., not even good or exciting vehicles, but those that had a lasting impact on the industry, good or bad. We intentionally left off the early Japanese vehicles from the import invasion, that can be another day's discussion.

Here are our few, in no particular order;

BMW 2002
The car that pretty much created the sporty sedan/coupe category and showed that a car could be quick, nimble, fun, safe (for the time), reliable and practical. It made BMW in the US...yes they had sold Isettas, sedans and beautiful, expensive coupes, but the 2002 really broadened their appeal. Put this first as the conversation began as we were standing around one while I installed a new coil.

Ford Mustang
Made the pony car category; pretty, affordable, and developed into some darn impressive performance machines. Fanatical following and the name has survived despite some really low points in the mid 70's and early 80's.

Chrysler Minivans
The must have family vehicle of the early 80's. You could argue they helped save Chrysler. Screamed practicality (or suburban stupor, depending on your perspective :) ) Affordable, again practical, early ones weren't that safe (believe they were classified as vans...didn't think they had to meet passenger car standards at first, but I could be wrong) and generated huge margins for the manufacturers. Marketing folks nailed this one, and the one below.

Ford Explorer
The must have family vehicle from the early 90's and alternative for those who just couldn't stomach a minivan. Created the modern SUV, suburban assault vehicle category as the mandatory family hauler for those treacherous excursions from the house to ball field, school and Whole Foods. For this Ford should be honored or vilified, your choice... There were earlier SUV's; Bronco, Range Rover, Jeeps, but none had the Explorers impact.

Jeep Wrangler/Chevrolet Corvette/Porsche 911
Three vehicles that have generally stayed as true to their roots. All have soldiered on and gotten better and changed to keep up with regulations and consumer tastes, but are still what they started out as. Yes they have gotten a bit softer and larger, but so have we.

Thoughts??

Mercedes-Benz 500 E / E 500. This was one of the first times if not the first a car company to take their smaller comfy sedan and shoehorn a large motor into it. Porsche had to help with installing the motor. This car led the way for the Audi S6 Bmw M5, Cadillac cts-v etc.

For me it was these two. My 1970 BMW 2002 bought new. I got a Mercedes dealer in Chicago order it for me because BMW didn't have any outlets. I think it came right from Max Hoffman. The other is a 1969 E-type I bought from a Delta airline pilot. Yes that skinny kid is me. :)

BMW.jpg
BMW.jpg

Good list, but as skyactiv pointed out, the F-150 is as iconic as it gets.
I am not sure I agree the Corvette has stayed true; it went from a ground thumper to a world class sports car.
But I certainly see your point.

Bringing your list up to date, Tesla is changing the world as we speak.

Impactful...

Ford Mustangs and F-150s (5.0Ls, and the 4.6L/5.4L modular engines were real game changers - especially when the latter went to 7 cylinders!). Explodersrers definitely made an impact in the tire world.

Chevy Camaros and Silverados (LS engines were game changers). Trans Ams get an honorable mention for their good looks (especially those with LS1s).

Pick a Honda, any Honda. Except the Ridgeline. Nobody claims those.

Toyota has a few: the Tacomas, Prius for Hybrid/EV tech, and even the early 2010s Tundras were all the rage for a while.

Hyundai has good and bad: the Elantra is impactful due to being probably the most improved car in the last 20 years. Went from a cheap throw-away car to a solid 300K contender. The bad? Theta II. Enough said.

Dodge/FCA made a big impact with the Challenger. 15 years ago it was just a 30-35 year old classic car that few could find. Now it's arguably the most wanted muscle car under $75K and on every street corner.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some..

Mercedes-Benz 500 E / E 500. This was one of the first times if not the first a car company to take their smaller comfy sedan and shoehorn a large motor into it. Porsche had to help with installing the motor. This car led the way for the Audi S6 Bmw M5, Cadillac cts-v etc.
While I love the W124, and applaud the 500E as the return of the performance sedan, I don’t think it was the first time someone shoehorned a large motor into the smaller sedan.

A guy named John Delorean did it in 1964, using the big engine from the Pontiac Catalina, and stuffing into the smaller Tempest, for example... it was an option called, “GTO”.

Back