Mobil1 High Mileage frustration...

The facility mentioned is in Clinton Township in New Jersey:

ExxonMobil Research and Engineering - Clinton

The article makes it clear that the run was on an actual vehicle on pavement, not an engine on a test rig (unless the lab is large enough to allow a 500k 65 mph run or the 2015 Toyota Camry was miniaturized).

The Center has both labs and test tracks and was recently expanded in size.
They showed the car. It was run on what looks like a dyno roller rig.

At about 0.05-0.07 they show A car running on a dynamometer after showing their Mileage Accumulation Dynamometers building.

This is an advertising video, so the various pictures may or may not have anything to do with the actual vehicle.

Another poster has already pointed out that sustained highway speeds are among the least stressful modes of operation, so we already have that under our belts.

ExxonMobil does these sorts of runs every couple of years or so:

Las Vegas Taxis Run

Million Mile BMW 325i

I am sure that we all understand that advertising puts a product's best foot forward, that it is unlikely that most of us will ever put 500,000 miles on a vehicle no matter what our driving conditions, and that we could probably duplicate the results using Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, and a dozen or two other brands of motor oils in the exact conditions with the exact vehicle in this commercial video.

So i wrote Mobil1 without using the specifics of my brother's car since we already called twice regarding this subject. The answer to the question, "Can i use M1HM in a new car?" is below....

Mobil1 is always good about getting back to guests promptly.

1597191092928.png

So i wrote Mobil1 without using the specifics of my brother's car since we already called twice regarding this subject. The answer to the question, "Can i use M1HM in a new car?" is below....

View attachment 26772
So basically if it meets the spec for that vehicle go for it. Which is exactly what I would tell someone if they asked me.

Absolutely what we thought as well. Glad Jim confirmed it CAN be used in new vehicles. BTW, they're still honoring my brother's rebates.

If that's their actual advice it makes me wonder how ExxonMobil snuck their HM oils past the API.

In the email response above, they say it's fine to use in new vehicles, limited only by the specs recommended by vehicle manufacturer. This makes sense, not the phone response we received initially.

In the email response above, they say it's fine to use in new vehicles, limited only by the specs recommended by vehicle manufacturer. This makes sense, not the phone response we received initially.

"Available in several viscosity grades, Mobil 1 High Mileage motor oil can help engines –new and old –add more miles to the odometer. With a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine, the Camry in "The 500,000-Mile Challenge" is a great example of a new, modern engine at work. Modern engines are generally smaller than the six-and eight-cylinder engines of yesteryear, but can produce the same power with more efficiency."

It says right on their site "engines - new and old".

That is about as good of an answer as it gets. M1HM always seemed to lack manufacturer's specs.

View attachment 26772

Cool stuff. Lab testing is just that, lab testing. There's only so many variables they can include to simulate real world driving experience, from the drivers that care to Those that don't, from cold starts and warm starts, to stop and go traffic and to the highways. The testing is still thourough to a certain degree. Highway miles at highway speeds? On a consistent basis? Of course your wear numbers will be low compared to other scenarios. Still M1 makes good stuff... But not the best and what IS BEST depends on application etc.

I have used Valvoline Maxlife once and M1 high mile oil twice in my 2015 ford F150. Look at the ratings on the oils. That will tell you what the oil does. the oil has certain parameters it has to meet .

I also think these dyno “highway speed” tests don’t prove jack squat about oil performance except showing the reliability of the ENGINE actually holding up for X amount of miles.

They aren’t doing anything Severe in these tests AT ALL.

**Highway cruising is the easiest on engines & oil.
**Doing 10k oil changes as per the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule (any average Joe Schmo synthetic can do that) isn’t anything special.
**dyno cruising in controlled Lab environment isn’t stressing anything.
**no cold starts.

I can keep going.

now when they do actual real world tests with taxi’s and stuff, it’s at least somewhat realistic but again... no cold starts. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I also think these dyno “highway speed” tests don’t prove jack squat about oil performance except showing the reliability of the ENGINE actually holding up for X amount of miles.

**Doing 10k oil changes as per the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule (any average Joe Schmo synthetic can do that) isn’t anything special.
**no cold starts.

I can keep going.

now when they do actual real world tests with taxi’s and stuff, it’s at least somewhat realistic but again... no cold starts. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If only done on a dyno I'd agree it isn't as strenuous as real world situations. But I wouldn't call 500k miles "jack squat ".

Last edited:

I don't use M1. Never have. And to put a video out, then say it's not representative of their product? I'll stick with PP for $7 less and get the same quality.

Not $7 less … popular M1 formulas went to rollback at $19.50 and that includes 0w40 Euro …

**no cold starts.

I can keep going.

This! Plus video has mention of start/stop extreme temperature, short tripping, etc... Run it on a dyno at i’m guessing highway speeds is 1800 RPM and change oil very 10,000.

Back