Mobil1 High Mileage frustration...

I have a heck of a time figuring out what they are trying to market with Mobil 1 high mileage oil. An upmarket ( but not as good as M-1 EP variant?) M-1 with extra seal swellers? A down market version of M-1? What?

The only concrete thing I could glean from their website was that they recommend using it for mildly neglected engines. So maybe it’s an extra detergent version of M-1. Or maybe not....

I have a heck of a time figuring out what they are trying to market with Mobil 1 high mileage oil. An upmarket ( but not as good as M-1 EP variant?) M-1 with extra seal swellers? A down market version of M-1? What?

The only concrete thing I could glean from their website was that they recommend using it for mildly neglected engines. So maybe it’s an extra detergent version of M-1. Or maybe not....

To make matters more confusing, there is HM EP (or is it EP HM)....

Frankly, I am a Mobil 1, but too many versions.

Of course If i had just dropped cash on a 2018 model car, I'd just go buy the right oil for it,,,

Mobil 1 continues to make their oil lineup as complicated as their website.

If one starts at the very beginning of the M1 site and selects their location and product (USA - motor oils) then one should expect to end up in the oil section. But no, Mobil has you start all over again by selecting catagories and after 3-4 pages you finally get to what you asked for in the beginning.

So they're not related in any way? Seems unlikely, but I have no idea. I would have thought that the "stop leak" was just a very high dose of a similar type of sweller. I was not attempting to suggest that it was the same dosage, only that the video shows the effects, albeit in an exaggerated way. Anyhow, sorry you don't find it interesting.

I did not watch the whole video, but I did see the part where he said "yep, additives". I just wonder if he is specifically referring to HM oils, or not. Also, I wonder if he really knows the complete history of that Colarado engine.

I did not watch the whole video, but I did see the part where he said "yep, additives". I just wonder if he is specifically referring to HM oils, or not. Also, I wonder if he really knows the complete history of that Colarado engine.

well, that’s a transmission, so.... probably not.

Despite what oil companies say, the number on the odometer is not very relevant... When you see a HM oil label reading "for vehicles over 75,000 miles," that is the marketing department talking. They want to sell you the more expensive oil even if you don't really need it. High mileage oils are for engines that are showing *actual symptoms* of age, high mileage and wear: reduced performance, reduced fuel economy, oil consumption, leaking seals/gaskets, abnormal ticking noises on startup, etc.
I wish people would continue using whatever non-HM oil that has been (and still is) working just fine, until there is a real reason to switch to HM oil. If your lower mileage engine has known issues, you may already have a real reason to switch to HM oil way before 75,000 miles. But for most modern engines in good condition, 75,000 miles is way too early to switch.
My $0.02

Been using M1 HM 5/30 in my daughter's Yaris for 3 years and in a couple of friend's vehicles....one of which is a Camry with 300k miles.

Zero issues with any of them. None leak, smoke at startup or use any measurable oil between changes.

I personally like the 5/30 in particular. It's on the heavy side at 11.9 @ 100° C and seems to have excellent cleaning abilities.

It meets SN/SN+ requirements and isn't anymore expensive than Vanilla M1. Not sure what some people's fear of it is.

There won’t be anything for the HM additives to rejuvenate, but it’s usable nonetheless.

The person on the phone didn’t know.

Back