Mobil 1 Through 3 CRITICAL Engine Oil Tests

Id love to see it honestly. A BITOG superbowl
I'll save you the time... HPL beats the Mobil 1, having had a truly worthy opponent. lol

Engineering Explained is cool but I think HPL has replaced Redline as a "best" oil.. just, Mobil 1 you get the instant gratification at Walmart.. HPL you either drive to Manteno, Illinois (as I have and will again) or go to the website ADVlubrication.com to buy it.

There is also nothing wrong with Mobil 1.

I'll save you the time... HPL beats the Mobil 1, having had a truly worthy opponent. lol

Engineering Explained is cool but I think HPL has replaced Redline as a "best" oil.. just, Mobil 1 you get the instant gratification at Walmart.. HPL you either drive to Manteno, Illinois (as I have and will again) or go to the website ADVlubrication.com to buy it.

There is also nothing wrong with Mobil 1.
That’s not a realistic comparison - do you think @XOM can’t make what HPL does ? - they are not in that market
How about a worthy vehicle for HPL - I for one don’t own any …

And yet with all the thousands of UOAs on this board, no one can say that Mobil 1 outperforms other oils.
I don’t spend money on those - can buy good oil like M1, QS, PP, Valvoline etc - with the money …
Some folks want OEM approval as well … Maybe the OEM does too …

That’s not a realistic comparison - do you think @XOM can’t make what HPL does ? - they are not in that market
Agree. M1 can make anything they want but they're cost sensitive because they have to compete for buyers who are price sensitive. Especially those buyers who fall into the "change early/often" category.

Interesting, but I'd rather see compression and leakdown numbers on the engine before and after.
The bearings should never see any kind of wear in an engine anyway, and while that speaks to the oils effectiveness, it's less interesting than seeing what happens to the parts most heavily worn in an any engine: The piston rings and valves.

I’ll bet not. Mobil has a long history of accurately measuring wear using the scanning electron microscope. They adjust their products to achieve A goal. It would be rather interesting to test supertech for turbocharger coke-ing Vs M1. But I already believe I know the answer.

short of moving to a boutique oil, properly chosen for the application, it is quite difficult to beat M1.
The old BITOG adage was that M1 led to noisey engines. Not sure if it smelled right.

This is my position as well. I think that what HPL does is super cool, and I like how open they've been here. But for the money, my daily driver is absolutely fine with Walmart/consumer grade synthetics that cost about $5 per quart when you buy the jug.

This board is a weird place. One minute the concensus is that all API spec oils are basically the same because the window to meet the spec is so narrow, and that anything more pricey on the shelf than Supertech is a waste of money. Then the next minute, all the sudden we need to be spending big money on a boutique oil for our standard daily driven cars because apparently simply meeting the API spec isn't enough.

I think this place is very strongly influenced by trends and what is "cool" in the moment. Pennzoil conventional was the flavor of the week here once upon a time. Now it's $12 per quart small batch oil.

*This conversation changes if we start talking about dedicated race engines, but this is the "passenger car motor oil" section of the forum.

This is my position as well. I think that what HPL does is super cool, and I like how open they've been here. But for the money, my daily driver is absolutely fine with Walmart/consumer grade synthetics that cost about $5 per quart when you buy the jug.

This board is a weird place. One minute the concensus is that all API spec oils are basically the same because the window to meet the spec is so narrow, and that anything more pricey on the shelf than Supertech is a waste of money. Then the next minute, all the sudden we need to be spending big money on a boutique oil for our standard daily driven cars because apparently simply meeting the API spec isn't enough.

I think this place is very strongly influenced by trends and what is "cool" in the moment. Pennzoil conventional was the flavor of the week here once upon a time. Now it's $12 per quart small batch oil.

*This conversation changes if we start talking about dedicated race engines, but this is the "passenger car motor oil" section of the forum.
Especially when someone has a plain Jane grocery getting family sedan

If you look deeper/longer I think you'll find there has never really been a consensus on here.

What we have had are trends wherein a segment of the membership strongly advocates for a specific product, philosophy or regimen. PYB was one of those trends, as have been 3K OCI's, high VI oils, low VI oils, high levels of moly...etc. There have also been "favourite" products due to their perception of value, such as M1 EP 0W-20 for a while.

The API specs are designed to set an adequately high floor on performance. You can still get varnish, sludge...etc using an API approved product, depending on the engine and operating profile, but you are very likely to receive adequate protection and an adequate lifespan for your equipment using whatever is suggested by the OEM, even if it is just the basic API approval and you use the cheapest possible product you can find.

That doesn't mean that something like Mobil 1 doesn't provide better performance over the life of that equipment (less wear, less varnish/deposits...etc) just that for Joe Average, that may not be overly, if at all, important, if he gets the service life he expects out of the vehicle.

I'm pretty sure my 308, NSX, SC400, etc will outlive me on M1 0W-40. Part of me wants to have a reason to run HPL, but I just don't see how it is worth the money.

Back