Mobil 1 Through 3 CRITICAL Engine Oil Tests

IMHO, Any reputable oil brand of the same weight and category can perform the same as M1, the only main difference is the additives/detergent on each brand.

Last edited:
I think it's likely that Mobil 1 is superior to Super Tech and other store brands when it comes to tests like this. The main reason is because of the quality control standards they have, especially for their flagship products.

IMHO, Any reputable oil brand of the same weight and category can perform the same as M1, the only main difference is the additives/detergent on each brand.

That statement is a bit vague. Additives can make or break an oil. Tests like Sequence VH put heavy reliance on anti-oxidants, detergents, dispersants, viscosity index improvers, anti-wear, and corrosion inhibitor additives to keep the oil (and engine) alive through the test when the oil film is compromised. A difference in additives can make a big difference in this test.

I started using M1 when it first came out in 1975. Kept an original can for keepsake.
The can said "good for 25,000 miles" so I changed oil once a year at 15k miles. Even used it in my '59 Ford with the straight six.
Times have changed (so has Mobil) and I stopped using M1 around 2010.
It's true that M1 oils have had formula changes over the years, however their quality is better today than ever.

That's good for M1 on 20K OCI but it will void new car's warranty.

Last edited:
If you were buying a used car, would you have wanted the previous owner to have done 20k oil changes or 4k oil changes?

If you were buying a used car, would you have wanted the previous owner to have done 20k oil changes or 4k oil changes?

If the person was doing consistent 20k oil changes, using a high quality oil formulated for the extended drain interval, with UOAs to support that interval, then I wouldn't be deterred at all. I would prefer that over someone who just rolled into Jiffy Lube, at whatever point they remembered or cared to do so, and couldn't tell you the difference between engine oil and olive oil.

If it was done at the dealer, or oil change shops it will more likely appear at CarFax report. But if was done by the owner there is no telling unless he/she shows you a detailed maintenance record. I have a maintenance record on all of my vehicles, air filter change, cabin filter change, OCI, coolant refill, brake fluid refill, brake jobs, etc in mileage & dates done.

Last edited:
Mobil Super also had some promotional videos where 25k mile intervals were done (not able to find them anymore). When W*M was clearing it out I bought all of it and use it for annual oil changes. I may do some UOAs next year.

Did you watch the video? This was addressed multiple times.
Yeah, just watched it. One thing its toyota version of GDI, which seems to be a better design than say Honda when it comes to cleaning carbon deposits. Secondly, the test is not very realistic, I would want them to do one with many short trips when engine does not always get to full operating temp.

Yeah, just watched it. One thing its toyota version of GDI, which seems to be a better design than say Honda when it comes to cleaning carbon deposits. Secondly, the test is not very realistic, I would want them to do one with many short trips when engine does not always get to full operating temp.
It’s dual injection. Also something they talked about a few times in the video. It’s not better than any other manufacturers version because it’s not just GDI.

Yea but in the real world we live in, outside the lab, does it really matter?
Absolutely. One need only look at the number of vehicles with timing chain replacements, oil consumption, low compression, turbocharger replacements, and sludge, despite following the owners manual and OLM properly.

I'd expect SuperTech syn to coke up turbocharger hot sides. I know the better M1 products do not. But I've been wrong before and I would like to see how SuperTech compares in objective testing.

Last edited:
Absolutely. One need only look at the number of vehicles with timing chain replacements, oil consumption, low compression, turbocharger replacements, and sludge, despite following the owners manual and OLM properly.

I'd expect SuperTech syn to coke up turbocharger hot sides. I know the better M1 products do not. But I've been wrong before and I would like to see how SuperTech compares in objective testing.
Sounds to me like you are referring to engineering and design issues, not oil issues.

None of my vehicles are having timing chain problems, oil consumption, low compression and sludge problems. Sorry none are turbocharged.

Turbochargers and timing chains have been around much longer than both you and I. Why all of a sudden so many problems?
Again, what is the ratio of vehicles having these problems compared to how many are not? You make it sound like we have a vehicle engine pandemic.

My take?

Timing chains: Thin single roller chains (or not) of excessive length. Insufficient oiling design (starvation). OEM extended oil changes. Owner neglect.

Oil consumption/low compression. These go hand-in hand: Low tension piston rings (for fuel economy). Chrome moly piston rings (To handle high combustion temperatures of lean burn (DI) and high compression ratios. These rings were never intended for street use because of know oil usage.) OEM extended oil changes. Owner neglect.

Turbochargers: This one I cannot explain but excessive EGT's are known, in the trucking industry, to destroy them. Other factors are dirty oil which leads to OEM extended oil changes, sooty oil from DI, and owner neglect.

Sludge: This issue was pretty much resolved with API SE and has gotten better through the years of oil progress. So what happened? Now we have soot in gas engines which was never heard of (DI?) Anyways, Start-Stop doesn't allow short trip oil time to heat the oil. OEM extended oil changes. Owner neglect.

What we are experiencing now is the EPA cramming impossible goals (laws) down OEM's throats that OEM's are struggling (grasping) to engineer in an impossible time frame. We have become the R&D for theoretical ideas. But, in my opinion, it's all in the plan to kill the ICE.

Back