Mobil 1 Through 3 CRITICAL Engine Oil Tests

Took me way too long to figure out the title. They took Mobil 1 and put it through 3 tests. I kept reading it as, they took products Mobil 1, 2 and 3, and did some critical testing. Apparently my reading skills are on the wane, I know what Mobil 2 is but haven't a clue what Mobil 3 could be.

20,000 initial OCI, then longer than 20k OCI's from then on, and the vehicle still lasted 120k miles (was torn down) using 0w20 with parts that were worn so little they could be passed off as new parts.

How is this possible? According to BITOG this engine should have been in the scrap heap at like 40k :unsure: 😜

Last edited:
I was able to watch it on my iPhone using the Brave browser. Did not work in safari. Great video. Although a few complaints. He shows a lawnmower engine and piston repeatedly. And a V8 at times.

although it’s easy enough for a technical people to weed through the nonsense, the average person won’t understand that some of the items shown were not the ones tested.

show me the actual parts, such as each rod bearing, in 4K resolution and let me decide.
Maybe a double-length time-lapse version of Engine Masters on Richard Holdener’s stock-bottom-ended 1,540HP LS 6.0? 😂

Let’s have them use HPL’s @OVERKILL 0w20 while we’re at it…

VIDEO is found here . Scroll down around 3/4 of page to see video . BUSTER , thanks for the find . There's MOBIL 1 A.F.E. 0w-20 in the engine of the '13 FIT along with a FRAM Extra Guard PH7317 . Have used MOBIL A.F.E. many times and the ANNUAL PROTECTION once . May go with the EXTENDED PERFORMANCE or the E.P. High Mileage with the TITANIUM oil filter for next O.C.. Still would remain under a 10,000 mile interval .

Last edited:
He claims right away "this video is sponsored by mobil 1" "big thanks to mobil 1 for giving me a behind the scenes look"

Knowing how many views that video will get, they're only going to show him the best. They're not going to hand him a mediocre result.

The video is as much an advertisement as it is technical.

Knowing how many views that video will get, they're only going to show him the best. They're not going to hand him a mediocre result.

The video is as much an advertisement as it is technical.
Bingo. "Look at us and the great results we got!" goes a lot longer way than, "Crap, our engine only lasted 23 minutes on this oil for this 219 hour test. Let's put out the video anyway." :ROFLMAO:

I have used M1 oils since 1978 at 10K OCIs and have never had a problem, even in engines that had 354K. My present 2007 Ford Fusion 2.3 has nearly 300K and performs very well.
I started using M1 when it first came out in 1975. Kept an original can for keepsake.
The can said "good for 25,000 miles" so I changed oil once a year at 15k miles. Even used it in my '59 Ford with the straight six.
Times have changed (so has Mobil) and I stopped using M1 around 2010.

I started using M1 when it first came out in 1975. Kept an original can for keepsake.
The can said "good for 25,000 miles" so I changed oil once a year at 15k miles. Even used it in my '59 Ford with the straight six.
What running through your 97 B2500?

That reply - to what Tig posted is nonsensical … It has not mattered how many times the formula - or the PVL claims have changed - Tig got the same results for decades …

Last edited:
That reply - to what Tig posted is nonsensical … It has not mattered how many times the formula or PVL claims have changed - Tig got the same results for decades
I would bet he could have gotten the same results with SuperTech...

I would bet he could have gotten the same results with SuperTech...
I’ll bet not. Mobil has a long history of accurately measuring wear using the scanning electron microscope. They adjust their products to achieve A goal. It would be rather interesting to test supertech for turbocharger coke-ing Vs M1. But I already believe I know the answer.

short of moving to a boutique oil, properly chosen for the application, it is quite difficult to beat M1.

I’ll bet not. Mobil has a long history of accurately measuring wear using the scanning electron microscope. They adjust their products to achieve A goal. It would be rather interesting to test supertech for turbocharger coke-ing Vs M1. But I already believe I know the answer.

short of moving to a boutique oil, properly chosen for the application, it is quite difficult to beat M1.
Yea but in the real world we live in, outside the lab, does it really matter?

Back