Mobil 1 Through 3 CRITICAL Engine Oil Tests

Absolutely. One need only look at the number of vehicles with timing chain replacements, oil consumption, low compression, turbocharger replacements, and sludge, despite following the owners manual and OLM properly.

I'd expect SuperTech syn to coke up turbocharger hot sides. I know the better M1 products do not. But I've been wrong before and I would like to see how SuperTech compares in objective testing.
In the 45 years I've been using M1, none of my engines have had timing chain issues, none ever increased in oil consumption, none had any sign of lower compression, which shows me no ring coking, even after 200-350K. and all of my engines never suffered sludge or even varnish. All at 10K OCIs.

It's true that M1 oils have had formula changes over the years, however their quality is better today than ever.
I am trying to believe that. I sure hope so. I have only had family and friends for years try to convert me over to Mobil and I resisted. Now I have finally bought in and start to use it only to hear all kind of folks claiming it is no good anymore? I cant win. May as well close my eyes and grab any bottle (not really) since every brand short of Amsoil and HPL has tons of negatives flying all around. Not AIMED AT ANYONE in particular. :oops:

I am trying to believe that. I sure hope so. I have only had family and friends for years try to convert me over to Mobil and I resisted. Now I have finally bought in and start to use it only to hear all kind of folks claiming it is no good anymore? I cant win. May as well close my eyes and grab any bottle (not really) since every brand short of Amsoil and HPL has tons of negatives flying all around. Not AIMED AT ANYONE in particular. :oops:
I still think of Mobil 1 as the best OTS oil you can buy and Dave from HPL regularly recommends their 0W-40.

I still think of Mobil 1 as the best OTS oil you can buy and Dave from HPL regularly recommends their 0W-40.
Thanks. There are several people here whose opinions I trust. That is why I began using it. I would be all over HPL/Amsoil etc... if I did not have to do those short oci with that "diluter" I accidently bought in a weak moment. LOL The ONLY time I ever let wife pick a car quickly without my looking into it first. STUFF Happens! :D A thought..... A company big and successful as Exxon Mobil would be crazy to really send out an intentionally weakened product so many have trusted and used from NASCAR to daily drivers. If truly weakened and no longer the quality they promote, things will go bad and the secret could not be contained.

Last edited:
Thanks. There are several people here whose opinions I trust. That is why I began using it. I would be all over HPL/Amsoil etc... if I did not have to do those short oci with that "diluter" I accidently bought in a weak moment. LOL The ONLY time I ever let wife pick a car quickly without my looking into it first. STUFF Happens! :D A thought..... A company big and successful as Exxon Mobil would be crazy to really send out an intentionally weakened product so many have trusted and used from NASCAR to daily drivers. If truly weakened and no longer the quality they promote, things will go bad and the secret could not be contained.
Also F1

In the 45 years I've been using M1, none of my engines have had timing chain issues, none ever increased in oil consumption, none had any sign of lower compression, which shows me no ring coking, even after 200-350K. and all of my engines never suffered sludge or even varnish. All at 10K OCIs.
Sorry - another book!
I feel ashamed/silly to admit this to folks but must. I have a younger brother , very successful Manager of Nation wide Audio / Video / Convention company who stays so busy with travels and his job in general, I always did repair work & predictive / preventive manintenance on his cars. He insisted he wanted to do his own oil changes at his house himself. He often times had discussions with me about my use of Amsoil. He would use one oil brand the entire time he has been driving. Mark is 62 yrs old now. So been driving a long time. He would mess with me all the time about Mobil1. He would even save a small soda bottle with oil he removed during last oil changes. To show off to me how amazing it looked. It always looked very good and still had what you could say was close to the color when he put it in his car. Yep, Mobil1. We finally stopped playing that game years ago. I can be block headed about certain things. I say that is one of the times I was. I would never use Mobil1. I know its silly when the evidence is in your face (Mark has never spent one penny on engine repair work) as long as he has been driving - cant even recall any oil leaks. We both had a hell of good laugh when I texted him and told him "Mark , I have crossed over to the good side.... I have Mobil1 stocked in my shop now and in the wife's car!" Guess in the begining Amsoil was the only high mileage oil I was aware of and full synth that saved me and my back a lot of extra work doing only once a year oci on several vehicles. Still using it on one car. But for now its Mobil1 with confidence in the other. I honestly think the oil industy has become so improved , advanced , even more competetive last several years (we only need look to the amazing work from HPLs recently, plus makes me proud to see that stuff being done domestically for a change and not from across an ocean) we all can look forward to about zero oil related issues if we follow the common sense advised services routines manufacturers call for today. Many or most of us will likely tire of a vehicle or have it rot out or too many cosmetic and minor things wear out yet with engines still humming along when we finally decide we just want something else. Its always been a pride thing with me to see just how long I can keep ours and try to make them into what is called in the car hobby "survivor cars!" Happy motoring my fellow oil connosuirs what ever your flavor. :)

Sorry - another book!
I feel ashamed/silly to admit this to folks but must. I have a younger brother , very successful Manager of Nation wide Audio / Video / Convention company who stays so busy with travels and his job in general, I always did repair work & predictive / preventive manintenance on his cars. He insisted he wanted to do his own oil changes at his house himself. He often times had discussions with me about my use of Amsoil. He would use one oil brand the entire time he has been driving. Mark is 62 yrs old now. So been driving a long time. He would mess with me all the time about Mobil1. He would even save a small soda bottle with oil he removed during last oil changes. To show off to me how amazing it looked. It always looked very good and still had what you could say was close to the color when he put it in his car. Yep, Mobil1. We finally stopped playing that game years ago. I can be block headed about certain things. I say that is one of the times I was. I would never use Mobil1. I know its silly when the evidence is in your face (Mark has never spent one penny on engine repair work) as long as he has been driving - cant even recall any oil leaks. We both had a hell of good laugh when I texted him and told him "Mark , I have crossed over to the good side.... I have Mobil1 stocked in my shop now and in the wife's car!" Guess in the begining Amsoil was the only high mileage oil I was aware of and full synth that saved me and my back a lot of extra work doing only once a year oci on several vehicles. Still using it on one car. But for now its Mobil1 with confidence in the other. I honestly think the oil industy has become so improved , advanced , even more competetive last several years (we only need look to the amazing work from HPLs recently, plus makes me proud to see that stuff being done domestically for a change and not from across an ocean) we all can look forward to about zero oil related issues if we follow the common sense advised services routines manufacturers call for today. Many or most of us will likely tire of a vehicle or have it rot out or too many cosmetic and minor things wear out yet with engines still humming along when we finally decide we just want something else. Its always been a pride thing with me to see just how long I can keep ours and try to make them into what is called in the car hobby "survivor cars!" Happy motoring my fellow oil connosuirs what ever your flavor. :)
Well the argument really comes down to this like what some other person mentioned earlier...

On the shelf oil: Mobil 1
Premium Oil: Amsoil/HPL

My own personal factor is that the oil is widely available and best bang for your buck. With M1, I spend about 100 bucks a year on oil. 100 is pretty close to one oil change with Amsoil/HPL

Last edited:
Well the argument really comes down to this like what some other person mentioned earlier...

My own personal factor is that the oil is widely available and best bang for your buck. With M1, I spend about 100 bucks a year on oil. 100 is pretty close to one oil change with Amsoil/HPL
Not entirely I ordered a 5 gallon pail of HPL CK4 and with shipping and the 15% off BITOG discount code it was $186 and some change. So that’s 3 oil changes and 2 qts for top offs for my car which should cover me for the entire year. The PCMO oil line is just a few $$ more but the trick is too order the larger packages and not the quart bottles.

Not entirely I ordered a 5 gallon pail of HPL CK4 and with shipping and the 15% off BITOG discount code it was $186 and some change. So that’s 3 oil changes and 2 qts for top offs for my car which should cover me for the entire year. The PCMO oil line is just a few $$ more but the trick is too order the larger packages and not the quart bottles.
Is spending that extra $86 necessary in my application? Not for me at least.

Mobil 1 at 6 months/5000k OCI does the job

If I had a Porche or a track car that was harsh on the oil, I could understand it.

Reactions: hrv

My own personal factor is widely available and best bang for your buck. With M1, I spend about 100 bucks a year on oil. 100 is pretty close to one oil change with Amsoil/HPL
Great points. Turns out circumstances have me with one foot in each camp. When u cant do anymore for yourself some of us go the longterm oci. When you can DIY its a lot of times so rewarding feeling you dont even care about longer oci. Also what I mean about these modern times. We now all benefit from the advanced and awesome quality of the oils. (made for both needs/type scenarios) So we are all covered by some really fine stuff easily within our reach. (y) Different strokes...

Great points. Turns out circumstances have me with one foot in each camp. When u cant do anymore for yourself some of us go the longterm oci. When you can DIY its a lot of times so rewarding feeling you dont even care about longer oci. Also what I mean about these modern times. We now all benefit from the advanced and awesome quality of the oils. (made for both needs/type scenarios) So we are all covered by some really fine stuff easily within our reach. (y) Different strokes...

Whatever helps you sleep at night aha 😌

I'm just not seeing this idea being pushed that all off the shelf synthetics are leaving carbon behind because all of a sudden people are looking at their oil filters. Rings? Maybe. I'm also not suggesting that higher priced boutique oils don't clean or keep things cleaner. :)

Last edited:
VIDEO is found here . Scroll down around 3/4 of page to see video . BUSTER , thanks for the find . There's MOBIL 1 A.F.E. 0w-20 in the engine of the '13 FIT along with a FRAM Extra Guard PH7317 . Have used MOBIL A.F.E. many times and the ANNUAL PROTECTION once . May go with the EXTENDED PERFORMANCE or the E.P. High Mileage with the TITANIUM oil filter for next O.C.. Still would remain under a 10,000 mile interval .

Recent studies , research on base oil , add packs , etc. strongly suggest that the Mobil 1 D1 / Gen 3 rated ; GF-6 synthetic 0W20 , 5W30 , etc. tick quick a few positive boxes for oil users .

Lol, I actually read this first as "i can spend 100 bucks changing out M1 [three/four times] or 100 bucks changing out HPL [once]"

At least if one goes too long on an interval, only one of these is going to undo the deposits.

Lol, I actually read this first as "i can spend 100 bucks changing out M1 [three/four times] or 100 bucks changing out HPL [once]"

At least if one goes too long on an interval, only one of these is going to undo the deposits.
Well, don’t have a single engine I would do that in …
Most are GDI … Jeep change no ramps …

Back