M1 FS 0W40 vs. Castrol Edge 0W40

Good point! Thought it was 13.8 at one point in time!
The HTHS table has the values for the PAO-based SM and Group-III+-Visom-based SN versions.

The Group-III+-Visom-based version is still the best version of M1 0W-40 A3/B4 ever. That Visom Group III+ base stock was an exceptional base stock with a very high viscosity index (VI), better than Shell's GTL base stocks, with a higher VI than theirs.

The HTHS table has the values for the PAO-based SM and Group-III+-Visom-based SN versions.

The Group-III+-Visom-based version is still the best version of M1 0W-40 A3/B4 ever. That Visom Group III+ base stock was an exceptional base stock with a very high viscosity index (VI), better than Shell's GTL base stocks, with a higher VI than theirs.
Yes, they do have some fantastic properties:
Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 5.27.53 PM.jpg

Yes, they do have some fantastic properties:
View attachment 124681
ExxonMobil Visom Group III+ base stocks readily beat the ExxonMobil SpectraSyn PAO base stocks in viscosity index (VI), which have VI = 126, 138, and 139 for KV100 = 4.1, 5.8, and 8.0 cSt, respectively. A higher base-oil viscosity index (BO VI) means less viscosity-index improver (VII) and a thicker base oil.

ExxonMobil Visom Group III+ base stocks readily beat the ExxonMobil SpectraSyn PAO base stocks in viscosity index (VI), which have VI = 126, 138, and 139 for KV100 = 4.1, 5.8, and 8.0 cSt, respectively. A higher base-oil viscosity index (BO VI) means less viscosity-index improver (VII) and a thicker base oil.
Yup, you have to step up to the SpectraSyn Plus 6 to get a better VI than the VISOM 6cSt which is 143 vs 142.

If you are looking for a stout A3/B4 XW-40, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 A3/B4 SP is the way to go, not these thin 0W-40 oils packed with VII. PP 5W-40 A3/B4 SP is a lot thicker in both HTHS and HTFS than these thin 0W-40 oils. A 0W-40 could be as thin as a 0W-20 in the valvetrain and rings—and even in the bearings at high RPMs—so, be warned. There are actually 0W-20 oils that are thicker than these 0W-40 oils in those areas and situations. More VII means a thinner base oil because otherwise the oil will not the pass the low-temperature pumping viscosity (MRV) test.

But don’t the 0w-xx counterparts usually have better base oils? How would you compare say Castrol euro 0w40 up against PP euro 5w40?

But don’t the 0w-xx counterparts usually have better base oils? How would you compare say Castrol euro 0w40 up against PP euro 5w40?
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 and Quaker State 5W-40 use natural-gas-based (GTL) API Group III+ or III++, and that should be good. Castrol 0W-40 probably has some API Group IV (PAO) mixed with petroleum-based API Group III. Which one has a higher base-oil quality? It is hard to say, but it probably does not make much difference.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 and Quaker State 5W-40 use natural-gas-based (GTL) API Group III+ or III++, and that should be good. Castrol 0W-40 probably has some API Group IV (PAO) mixed with petroleum-based API Group III. Which one has a higher base-oil quality? It is hard to say, but it probably does not make much difference.
Castrol Edge 0W40 SN version had probably close to 50% PAO. msds says 25-50%, but pour point was -60, so probably on higher end.
Here is my UOA os Castrol Edge 0W40 including 350 miles of track time at 100-102f temperature. Right column is Edge 0W30 in winter:

51BC9991-65FF-44FE-8D9C-BBB49A31A744.jpeg

To answer the OP’s question directly there is no question in my mind that the Mobil 1 FS 0w40 is the choice. I don’t say that on speculation. I say that based on my experience looking at the FS 0w40 in our lab. If I was in a spot where I could not get my own oil I would grab that oil to put in any vehicle I own without question.

This is one SERIOUS endorsement for Mobil 1. Thank you.

Does PP Euro SAE 5W-40 comes only in 1QT jugs or can you get it in 5QT jug also?

How would you rate the SP version ?

The new Mobil 0w40FS SP will be my "Go To" oil for everything soon.
I might try HPL Super Car 0W40 in my snowmobile

Back