Lets talk about new vehicles

The Audi Q7, their largest SUV comes with a 2 liter turbo 4cyl engine. Probably the same engine, although a six cylinder turbo is available in higher trims. About $5k more for the larger engine.

The Audi Q7, their largest SUV comes with a 2 liter turbo 4cyl engine. Probably the same engine, although a six cylinder turbo is available in higher trims. About $5k more for the larger engine.
The EA888 2.0T is in everything. It’s a great engine. Sometimes I think there’s a few cars that it’s just not enough engine.

They’re easy to tune and throw a lot of power at it. Very torquey too.

26 MPG highway for a 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo seems very low. That engine had to be working very hard. My 5.7 HEMI V-8 will deliver 21 MPG highway in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. And that's a 5,100 pound vehicle.

thats 26 mpg combined for a trip from CA to SLC and back plus all the driving in between. On highway I was around 27-28 regularly (even hit 30 On one favorable leg).

EPA is 20-24.

the engine cruises at 85 mph in low RPM with Very little effort. Turbo spools quickly and it doesn’t need to rev or heavily downshift to move.

the whole car feels quiet calm and collected.

I’m perfectly sold on small turbos in big SUV’s.

It’s interesting that we’re very much about specs and theoretical sometimes. I kinda think blasphemy and ridiculous when I hear the 2024 C63s AMG went from a V8 to a 2 liter turbo. Maybe the new generations of buyers think nice that’s 4 less cylinders to worry about

It’s interesting that we’re very much about specs and theoretical sometimes. I kinda think blasphemy and ridiculous when I hear the 2024 C63s AMG went from a V8 to a 2 liter turbo. Maybe the new generations of buyers think nice that’s 4 less cylinders to worry about
There’s a lot of other complication in the hybrid system and it also weighs as much as a small moon.

I feel sorry for people who bought the I-4 :LOL:
I see a Denzel Washington scene: Explain this to me like I’m a six year old. You bought the 2024. It’s clearly marked, warning, not V8 biturbo, 2.0 liter 4 cyl inside. The 2025 is a 6.3 liter V8, and now YOU wanna sue the city for negligence? Yeah. Yes, of course you have a case!

That’s one reason I went with a CPO W205 C43; I didn’t want the I4. The reviews haven’t been very complimentary either.

That’s one reason I went with a CPO W205 C43; I didn’t want the I4. The reviews haven’t been very complimentary either.
Apparently it's so heavy that the driving dynamics just aren't there apart from the lack of V8 noises. The whole C63 selling point is that grunt. I drove the old 6.2 and that made intoxicating noises. I know the 4.0 is faster and makes 90%-95% of the noises, but this 4 cylinder hybrid was just too far.

......EPA is 20-24......
ANY small displacement, expensive and complex 4 cylinder turbo engine, that is rated at 20-24 MPG has to be working very hard under most all conditions in order to get that lousy of an overall fuel economy rating.

Especially when it is compared to a normally aspirated V-8 engine that has twice the cylinders, and three times the displacement. That also isn't having air rammed into it every time the driver advances the throttle, by a complex and expensive turbocharger system.

Yes, there are a lot of turbo equipped engines out there in vehicles that live a long time... If driven and maintained properly. The problem is most people who buy turbo equipped vehicles today like to drive them hard. (Just say the word "turbo" to an enthusiastic, under 30 driver, and their eyes light up).

And they have to both work hard and be driven hard if they expect to get any kind of performance out of them. Especially in a big heavy SUV.

So the reality is you're not saving much if anything in fuel economy. And you're doing it in a much smaller and complex engine, that has to work much harder in order to move it the way the V-8 that preceded it.

ANY small displacement, expensive and complex 4 cylinder turbo engine, that is rated at 20-24 MPG has to be working very hard under most all conditions in order to get that lousy of an overall fuel economy rating.

Especially when it is compared to a normally aspirated V-8 engine that has twice the cylinders, and three times the displacement. That also isn't having air rammed into it every time the driver advances the throttle, by a complex and expensive turbocharger system.

Yes, there are a lot of turbo equipped engines out there in vehicles that live a long time... If driven and maintained properly. The problem is most people who buy turbo equipped vehicles today like to drive them hard. (Just say the word "turbo" to an enthusiastic, under 30 driver, and their eyes light up).

And they have to both work hard and be driven hard if they expect to get any kind of performance out of them. Especially in a big heavy SUV.

So the reality is you're not saving much if anything in fuel economy. And you're doing it in a much smaller and complex engine, that has to work much harder in order to move it the way the V-8 that preceded it.

I think you misunderstand the definition of complex.

Have you looked inside a modern DOHC v8 lately? Hint: it looks a lot like a modern DOHC V6 or I4.

Adding a turbo doesn’t really change the complexity of the engine itself.

It’s two ways to get something: high pressure (turbo) or large volume (v8).

In this case, the 2.0T is suited just fine to the large SUV.

As far as longevity, a Chrysler 5.7 v8 isn’t the example of longevity I’d use…..

It’s not like any of the modern v8 engines are particularly reliable in 2024.

Apparently it's so heavy that the driving dynamics just aren't there apart from the lack of V8 noises. The whole C63 selling point is that grunt. I drove the old 6.2 and that made intoxicating noises. I know the 4.0 is faster and makes 90%-95% of the noises, but this 4 cylinder hybrid was just too far.
I watched the Throttle House reviews of the new C43 and read the Car and Driver review; one comment was that the engine and transmission act as if they haven’t been formally introduced. I also noticed that the new engine in the C43 now wears a "one man, one engine" badge- perhaps to compensate?

I think you misunderstand the definition of complex.

Have you looked inside a modern DOHC v8 lately? Hint: it looks a lot like a modern DOHC V6 or I4.

Adding a turbo doesn’t really change the complexity of the engine itself.

It’s two ways to get something: high pressure (turbo) or large volume (v8).

In this case, the 2.0T is suited just fine to the large SUV.

As far as longevity, a Chrysler 5.7 v8 isn’t the example of longevity I’d use…..

It’s not like any of the modern v8 engines are particularly reliable in 2024.
Kinda like he just prefers V8 to I4 period. Well that's how I have been reading it.

IMG_20240112_084024225_HDR.jpg
3fc487d1018b7f8308d2df21f4569088x~2.jpg
f148c7fece7d71a4fd3bf633c19f2ca6x.jpg
a2af76838fe019349e004e977176b5c7x (1).jpg
f9df5068a1f6da50c0643fa2b838d45fx.jpg
IMG_20240113_094407062.jpg
IMG_20240119_081920376_HDR.jpg

Back