I am too stupid /old at 62 to buy a new motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If you have not ridden in a while get something smaller and lighter rather than big and heavy.
Suzuki gsx-s 1000 about 469 lbs, Harley Sportster 562 lbs. 426 dry lbs. Kawasaki Ninja 300 385 wet. KTM 1290 416 lbs dry. All seem heavy.

In this day and age of 1800cc and larger machines, these bikes are considered light, to middle weights....

I'd get something with ABS, I watched a guy go down in front of me just braking normally, but in the middle of the road on the greasy strip... I'm sure he knew better, and he must've panicked for a second and didn't let off the front brake, and down he went.
And get some good riding gear and good tires, you really want to make riding as idiot proof as possible.

The 1000 has close to triple the hp and everything else better but the 4 cyls are so steril. Smooth powerful and blah. Though it is priced right.

The GSX-S1000F looks like fast but comfy ride. I've been following it on the gsxs1000.org forum.

If it's anything like my FZ1, I doubt you will find the engine sterile when you twist the throttle. Litre-bike goodness - Pure exhilaration, tinged with a touch of fear...

Last edited:
The 1000 has close to triple the hp and everything else better but the 4 cyls are so steril. Smooth powerful and blah. Though it is priced right.

I was thinking of the Mach 4 H2, for some reason.

I'm guessing the I4's linear power would be more exciting, if you aren't used to that level of power. Even though there are much more powerful bikes these days, even stock.

As a rider getting back into riding, I'd be willing to bet you might find it plenty exciting.

At any rate, good luck with your decision.

Originally Posted By: Studebaker
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Studebaker
Get a Ural

Yeah....don't do this unless you want to transform from a rider into a mechanic.

Check out this quality control...

https://youtu.be/UUZOzT4F0DI

That proves nothing for reliability and longevity of the bike and its major components. It just proves the bikes can go off the beaten path. The bikes are well designed, but poorly executed. And that is from many owners experiences that can easily be found online, people who just wanted to drive it on nice paved roads and found out how unreliable they were compared to the competition. I am sure the original poster wants a bike that can actually go long distances at highway speeds without melting down an engine.

Last edited:
Well if money is not too limited then, just get one of the upright position travel enduro's (or Adv's sometimes called). Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, Kawasaki Versys 1000, Aprilia Caponard 1200, Triumph Explorer 1200, Triumph Tiger 800, BMW S1000XR, KTM Adv 1190, KTM Super Adv 1290, Ducati Multistrada 1200.

Of all the above, CT8, and based on your posts here I think the BMW S1000XR is the one for you... inline 4 but far from boring !!

You can have a lot of fun with any of the above.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Well if money is not too limited then, just get one of the upright position travel enduro's (or Adv's sometimes called). Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, Kawasaki Versys 1000, Aprilia Caponard 1200, Triumph Explorer 1200, Triumph Tiger 800, BMW S1000XR, KTM Adv 1190, KTM Super Adv 1290, Ducati Multistrada 1200.

Of all the above, CT8, and based on your posts here I think the BMW S1000XR is the one for you... inline 4 but far from boring !!

You can have a lot of fun with any of the above.

Money is not the object when I find something I would like ! I hate the adventure bikes,I am not an adventure type of person.

Okay, one more try... BMW K1300S. Sport w/ low maintenance shaft drive. Bar risers and touring bars optionally available to get you off your wrists, along with available hard bags add up to tourability. 175hp inline four.

Just a touch off topic. I've ridden the Zero SR electric motorcycle with the big battery. That thing is FUN, FUN, FUN. It's fast and ultra responsive. It's everything a toy should be.

It's limited range is not so limited either. 150 miles is possible around town. Or exactly the same number of miles my SV1000s goes on a tank.

And, it's just as fast as my SV1000s is also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YIEVdFt0OE

CT8,
I've been riding for over 45 years(have five bikes in my garage) and I don't like to ride in the city(Sacramento,CA) but I do have fun on the back roads all over the west. If you havn't been on a bike for a few years, I'd go with smaller rather than bigger(more power). ABS is a must for a new rider, at our age we don't heal up like we did when we were twenty. A 300 to 650 cc(no 600cc bikes like a R6) bike will be enough to get you back into riding shape and let you know if you want more. You can get into trouble on a high powered bike in a lot less time than on a smaller bike(think less than 5 seconds from a dead stop). Life is short, but riding can shorten it by a lot even if YOU don't do anything wrong. Cages like to turn left(and other things) in front of you and make you a hood ornament. Lost more than one friend that way.

Good luck on your search,
ROD

Get one! You only live once.

I had a regular customer who was approaching 90 and frail. He looked longingly at my bike every time he came in. He always told me that he had wanted a bike but for one reason or another never got one.

Don't end up like that! I felt very bad for him since he really was not in the shape to ride at that point.

Get it but take course to refresh your skills. Good luck and Happy Trails

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Just a touch off topic. I've ridden the Zero SR electric motorcycle with the big battery. That thing is FUN, FUN, FUN. It's fast and ultra responsive. It's everything a toy should be.

It's limited range is not so limited either. 150 miles is possible around town. Or exactly the same number of miles my SV1000s goes on a tank.

And, it's just as fast as my SV1000s is also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YIEVdFt0OE

Seems like riding a 4 cyl inline M/S smooth powerful and no personality.

Seems like riding a 4 cyl inline M/S smooth powerful and no personality.

You keep implying that I-4 bikes are boring. Have you ridden any modern I-4 bikes?

I've let a friend who rides an FLHTCUI, ride both my I-4 Sportbikes. He thought they had lots of personality. The main characteristic being they (his words) "terrified him".

If you want something flat track like you might take a look at Ducati Flat Track Pro

146_1115_2016_ducati_scrambler_flat_track_pro_011.jpg

62 is a perfect time to buy a motorcycle. You're old enough to have some common sense and young enough to enjoy the [censored] out it! Ted Simon (author of Jupiters Travels and Dreaming of Jupiter) rode around the world for the second time at the age of 70!

go for it.
laugh.gif

I read your original post, and it's hard to know exactly what feel will appeal to you, but the Ducati Scrambler someone posted seems like a good bet. As does the Yamaha FZ07. I'd guess there are a lot of bikes on the market now you'd enjoy.

[color:#FFCC99][/color]I looked at them . They remind me of the 1970ish 450 single cyl Duc Jupiter The closest dealer is about 175 miles away. My daughter wants me to look at a $15,000 horse. Yeah right. Horses try to hurt me!

There is a whole slew of retro Triumphs coming out. Maybe take a look at a Bonneville.

The Moto Guzzi's are rather interesting and good little Italian bikes if you are in for something different.

If cruisers are your thing, maybe the new Indian Scout

I read you didn't like the adventure bikes, but if you're open to riding one, the Tiger 800 is one great street bike.
laugh.gif
Also, I agree the Triumph classic line is a bunch of great looking bikes. They've just updated the line. The Thruxton R is one fantastic looking bike in my book. I've got a bunch of my spine fused (non-motorcycle related to all those who are afraid of motorcycles! ;-) ) and the position of the cafe racers and road racers just doesn't work for me anymore.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back