I am too stupid /old at 62 to buy a new motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the Triumph line up. Many of their retro styled bikes are quite low to the ground an weigh only 400 to 500 lbs. easy to get on and off as well push around. They look and sound like a real motorcycle and are vibration free. Check out the new 900cc Street Twin...light and low....BEAUTIFUL. Watch some reviews on Youtube.

Originally Posted By: hal26
Check out the Triumph line up. Many of their retro styled bikes are quite low to the ground an weigh only 400 to 500 lbs. easy to get on and off as well push around. They look and sound like a real motorcycle and are vibration free. Check out the new 900cc Street Twin...light and low....BEAUTIFUL. Watch some reviews on Youtube.

I like the Triumph lineup. Know a guy who may be selling a 2014 Bonnie he got in 2015 as a left over inventory. I bet he has put less than 1500 miles on it.

Well, I am in my 60's and picked up on a Triumph Bonneville T100 a couple weeks ago. Great bike. Love the classic look instead of looking like every other cruiser on the street.

OP, I’m 66 and have bought only one new motorcycle in over 40 years of riding. I’ll say you’re too “smart” to buy a new motorcycle. It will be prime motorcycle buying time in a couple of months, then you can get some great deals from those who “ thought they wanted a motorcycle” ! A friend bought a 2016 Honda 700ctx with 3,500 miles for $3,000 in the early spring. Let the other guy take the big hit.

Does it really matter at this point of life? If one wants a bike and they find the one they want and it is at the price point they can deal with, go for it.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, I am in my 60's and picked up on a Triumph Bonneville T100 a couple weeks ago. Great bike. Love the classic look instead of looking like every other cruiser on the street.

Sounds great!

I'm totally envious. Have fun. Be safe.

Enjoy your new ride!!

Motorcycles have gone in a strange direction. Nothing made today floats my boat. It seems everything fits into some kind of weird category, none of which are appealing to me. I don't care for Harleys, never have, and the metrics are all offering these weird models. I find most bikes these days extremely ugly. The metrics were going in a nice direction 10-15 years ago with their muscle cruisers, but apparently no one wants those bikes anymore so most of them have been discontinued. This is part of the reason I no longer ride, that and the fact there are just way too many distracted drivers on the roads these days that make riding extremely dangerous...I will replace my need for a sporty type vehicle with a Corvette...they are plenty fast enough for me, and I'll at least be inside a vehicle with a seat belt on to give me more safety than I would have on a bike...

Saw a nice looking (and sounding) Triumph the other day. Thinking about selling my Sportster and buying one. The Sporty is great run around bike. Yeah, on paper it's a bit heavy, but it is weight carried low and on the centerline, so it does nothing bad to the "flick-a-bility"
smile.gif

But, it's not really big enough (chassis wise) for me and my wife. For that we rent a Road King. So whatever I ride for me, is just for me and maybe the grand-baby (9).

I'm 70 and not looking to get off bikes anytime soon ... Prolly owned 30 or more in my lifetime ... Loved my BMW K 750 for go stop and handle, but the ergo's got me.

I'll freshen up the XL350 desert bike (and tune the engine down some) for "dual sporting". So maybe just one street something ...

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Depends where you live to a degree. Is traffic terrible? Do you have decent, SAFE roads to ride on....or a mess of cars and traffic that makes riding a bike a scary nightmare?

As we age, our reactions, balance, endurance, sight, coordination, and even judgment...can start to diminish a bit. That's certainly something to consider.

I value my life more now that I am older...and come to realize how fragile we all are. Couple that with my eyes not being as good, and my hands having carpal tunnel (greatly effects clutch/brake usage)...and I have a lot to think about.

When I was younger, I had a feeling that I could see and evade most dangerous situations on a bike. I had a sort of "dumb-guts". The older I get, the more I see how many motorcyclists get killed no matter what they do. Like just sitting at an intersection as a car smashes into you. Dead as a door nail. We've had more than a few fellas die on bikes at my work. All over 45 years old too. Sad.

I was going to get a Ural as Studebaker suggested here....but just decided that now wasn't the time for many reasons.

I'm sorry for rambling on, but another thing to balance out is if you have kids/grandkids/wife that would be lost without you. There is a lot more to life....MUCH, MUCH more than motorcycles.

In the end, you'll come to a decision. Whatever it is, I hope it works out for you.

And this is why you ride in the dirt, not the street. Love riding, but only in the woods, never the street.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Depends where you live to a degree... There is a lot more to life....MUCH, MUCH more than motorcycles.

Huh. Where does that come from? Have never been w/o a motor for over 50 years. Dunno what I'd do if I didn't have at least one ...

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
This thread is 3 years old, the OP asked the question in DEC 2015

Yes.

And there has been recent discussion to which some of us were responding, like this:

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Posted last week.

Yeah, old thread. But I just thought I'd mention that I know of a guy that picked up an '18 GSXR1000R, for his 80th birthday, earlier this year. I only hope I'll still be able to ride Sportbikes at that age.

Brocluno, Emailed me and asked what did I do? I really was bent on a Suzuki GX1000 because I have a friend that owns a Suzuki dealership. So a bike at cost is always good. But then I saw the Harley Roadster. Yes indeed If I were to buy a Harley that would be the one. I went to the Harley dealer and the Roadster looked better in real life that it did in the pictures. The salesman saw me drooling and said sit on it. I mounted the bike and half way up my left knee felt like some one stabbed it. Well being in the Harley Dealership a mans territory {women are welcome as well] I couldn't drop the bike and cry from the pain. I got the bike up and it was good, really good. Then fear hit me I had to eventually get off the bike. I made sure the kick stand was down prepared myself and all went good. I that day gave up on buying a bike and in fact my knee still wakes me up at night if I toss and turn. Been a over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back