I am too stupid /old at 62 to buy a new motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT8

I haven't had a M/C for a while/ I had 2 ATVs for a while and they could be considered tools until I sold the last one in 2007. I have been shopping and actually with so many options makes it so hard to decide. I looked at a HD Sportster the ultimate adult mini bike perfect to putt around on but it is a no. A Suzuki GSX s 1000 It is the only M/c says buy me since I bought my 1971 Kawasaki Mach III which is what I compare every bike I have ever been on,not for the handling or braking but as the most wonderful engine feel. The inline 4 cyls pull from idle to wot like an electric motor but without a Feel. Then another interest is the KTM Duke 1290 stark but the engine has a feel then last but not least the 2016 690 Duke, It seems to be like the 1975 Yamaha RD350 small light and with enough power. Finally Suzuki had a redo on the SV650 which I really have watched over the years. Also The dealership is owned that sells Suzuki and KTM is owned by a buddy of mine so there is the political thing about those motorcycles. Yamaha and Kawasaki motorcycles have been great to me though. I really like motorcycles riding them looking at them and Thinking about them. Sometimes I think about building a Harley that looks like the Flat track bikes but I don't want to take the time to put it all together and I don't want tp spend the big $$$ that I would use for my other hobbies.

I like the new Honda CB1100, reminds me of the CB750 from the 70's. If I were in the market for a new bike I'd have to think really hard about that one.

For now I'm keeping the VFR, had it for 15 years now and don't want to get rid of it for fear that I wouldn't be able to get another bike.

You're not too old when you're thinking about owning a motorcycle. I was too scare of riding a motorcycle at any speed, the last time I was on one was 1978-1980.

If you are physically able, why not? If its been a long time since you have ridden, you might want to get a good deal on a used bike.
Ride the used bike a bit and make sure you don't have any back pain or neck issues before you take the plunge (and eat the instant depreciation if you find you can't ride comfortably ) for the new bike.

Last edited:
If this is a serious itch, then maybe you should scratch it while you're still fairly young and healthy.
I think of a bike every spring, but then I wonder how I would use it.
My commute isn't bad and would be fun on a bike, but then there are news stories every spring about guys getting struck by smart phone addicted idiots driving four wheelers.
Your serious injury or death is only a misdemeanor for them, after all.

Get a bike. Check out the Honda nc700x its upright and different.
The wee storms are fun too

So are Honda shadows
[censored] get one of each

I love my klr

I'm older than you. I just recently sold my hopped up Honda VTR and I miss it on days off. It was as reliable as a brick once I fixed the water pump problem and was a blast to ride on an early morning as the sun was coming up.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You're not too old when you're thinking about owning a motorcycle. I was too scare of riding a motorcycle at any speed, the last time I was on one was 1978-1980.

This is my story. I liked shifting through the gears on a Kawasaki 450 but then when I was going 60 I was scared since my head was only 3 or 4 feet away from the pavement. The farthest I went on my motorcycle was to DMV to get a license. My daughter was born around then and decided she needed a Dad in one piece more than I needed a motor cycle.

A guy that has worked on my Bobcat cannot raise the bucket with the foot pedal. Because of a motorcycle accident, his foot no longer works for that movement. He can lower the bucket.

You're only 62,still a baby!
laugh.gif
Get yourself the sweetest bike you can!

I'm only a few years younger than the OP and I bought a used MC last summer after a 20+ year absence from riding. I really don't feel comfortable riding anymore and will sell it in the spring. My reflexes aren't what they used to be.....

I'm 55, so not too far behind you. I would get an Indian Scout as it feels lightweight. It seems like you like Harleys as you mentioned them, but I think the Scout is an all-around better bike as well as a newer design with water cooling and more power.

I bought an old 95 Harley Electra glide 18 months ago. When I bought it, it only had 22,000 original miles on it. It was a one owner and after some maintenance and a new set of tires I've put 10,000 miles on it since. It was 72 degrees here yesterday and I rode it about 80 miles, just puttin around on 2 lane country roads. I didn't pay a fortune for it and it's in the garage when I do want to ride. I'm 63.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back