Searching for a classic/vintage bike. Help me pick one

Hello everyone!! Was recently looking to add a second bike to the household. I have a 2017 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 that works out great for the wife and I, but for jumping on it by myself to simply run around town, errands, etc, it's like launching/flying the space shuttle. Was thinking of adding a smaller bike to ride around. Started looking at Honda VFR1000X, Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Suzuki M109R, etc. Then I got to thinking, why not an older bike that would be simply a "universal Japanese motorcycle" of the "good old days"? First, looking for suggestions to who to buy from. I monitor "Bring a Trailer" daily and have for years, but want a wider selection. Here are my criteria. I'm a taller/bigger guy/ 6'4, 230, so I'd like to keep it above the 750/900cc range. I like the 70's era, but can go into the first half of the 80's. Budget is 10k max. I have the sense to work on all my bikes, but I'd like one that has been restored to some level. No Harley's. Don't have any experience with them. I'm intrigued by the likes of the Honda CBX, Suzuki 2 strokes, and turbo bikes. Just looking to see what you guys would recommend in case I missed a good one that I'm not thinking of. Appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Had a '75 boxer; it hauled my wife and I with luggage piled all over it on several long trip. Good strong machine with all the parts hanging out where you can get at them if needed. Points adjustments and plugs was all I ever had to do.

Also had '76 Norton.........gawd, was that a nice machine.........till some idiot pulled out in front of me. Sorta messed up front end. Me too!
Not sure you can still get parts for them tho.............

I got a running 1983 KZ750N (shaft drive) here for you well under your price range, but it is in NJ to be picked up, could use a new starter clutch since it started slipping, and has its scratches, but overall in really good shape. Also got a box or two of spare parts that came with it when I obtained the bike.

A mid 70s Moto Guzzi T3 , G5 , Guzzi Convert( my current ride at this time) or an Guzzi Ambassador or Eldorado.

Beside's what Guzzi your riding you will have the pleasure of riding a bike that doesnt look like anyone else.

First pi is my 73 V7 Sport
TOM SPORT.jpg
TOMS 72 ELDO.jpg
TOMS CONVERT.jpg

Second pic is my 72 Eldo

Third pic is my 76 Convert (automatic trans)

Enjoy

Convert

Tom

Last edited:
A mid 70s Moto Guzzi T3 , G5 , Guzzi Convert( my current ride at this time) or an Guzzi Ambassador or Eldorado.

Beside's what Guzzi your riding you will have the pleasure of riding a bike that doesnt look like anyone else.

First pi is my 73 V7 SportView attachment 29598View attachment 29599View attachment 29600

Second pic is my 72 Eldo

Third pic is my 76 Convert (automatic trans)

Enjoy

Convert

Tom
Almost bought a 2017 California 1400 Touring. Still regret not getting that!

The CBX was an amazing machine when it was made in relatively small numbers 40 years ago. If you're going to keep it around for a while the parts sources will begin to dry up. I sold my 1984 V65 Sabre for that very reason.

How about a CB900F? During my time at a Honda dealer we sold at least 5X as many of those over the CBX. Still 40 years old, but more common. Its big brother (CB1100F) was 1983 only.

My old beater is a 1972 CL350. It looks small under me and I'm 6"0". Under you it would look like a clown bike.

You mean like this? 1982 Kawasaki KZ550. Paid $750 unrestored but did the work myself. 6500 miles, all original except tires, some paint, and rubber parts.
Only problem is no place to install bags very easily. With $10,000 to spend, you're almost into KZ1000 territory.

KAW.jpg
KAW.jpg

The CBX was an amazing machine when it was made in relatively small numbers 40 years ago. If you're going to keep it around for a while the parts sources will begin to dry up. I sold my 1984 V65 Sabre for that very reason.

How about a CB900F? During my time at a Honda dealer we sold at least 5X as many of those over the CBX. Still 40 years old, but more common. Its big brother (CB1100F) was 1983 only.

My old beater is a 1972 CL350. It looks small under me and I'm 6"0". Under you it would look like a clown bike.
I understand the clown buke reference. I bought my wife a Honda Rebel 10 years ago. Picked it up new at the dealer, which was about 30 miles away. My friend dropped me off at the dealer. I looked like a giant praying mantis humping a football riding that thing back home!!!

You mean like this? 1982 Kawasaki KZ550. Paid $750 unrestored but did the work myself. 6500 miles, all original except tires, some paint, and rubber parts.
Only problem is no place to install bags very easily. With $10,000 to spend, you're almost into KZ1000 territory.

View attachment 29614View attachment 29614
Sharp bike. Love the look! I am partial to Kawi's. My current bike and jetski are Kawi's. I like the 900 and 1000's that might be in my range.

I will have to look into those CB900F's!

Sharp bike. Love the look! I am partial to Kawi's. My current bike and jetski are Kawi's. I like the 900 and 1000's that might be in my range.
This one was actually sold new in Ashland, Ohio. It now lives in Florida. Just woke up one morning and did a google search for used motorcycle and there it was less than 15 miles from my house. The owner delivered it for free! Was my lucky day for sure.

Back