Which one would be a better beginner bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a check of used inventory of some dealers in my area, and there are some real killer deals to be had on some good, low mile bikes. Perfect for an entry level rider to get a good 500cc to 800cc bike for low money and really put in the miles building their skill set and then move on to a better bike. I came across some that seems were primarily garage queens. Many bikes 10+ years old and barely more than 10,000 miles, yet a person could pick them up, even at dealer pricing posted online, for $3-$4K or less. For instance, a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD cruiser with 4500 miles on it for $2700. and very clean. Not the fastest bike for sure, but will still beat 90% of the cars on the road for get up and go. A 2006 Honda Rebel 500 with 7300 miles on it for $2100. A 2012 Honda Spirit 750 with 9700 miles on it for $5100.

The Honda nc750x. It has the traditional tank part as storage and fueling is down under the seat. It has lots of storage room making it very practical. It doesn’t rev as high as a true motorcycle but it gets great mileage and is very comfy. I rode it on demo days and thought it was a brilliant bike. I’ve been riding for several years on a sport bike and do track days/racing.

Originally Posted By: David_g
Originally Posted By: dgunay

Some of my alternatives are (used or new, but it must have ABS),

ABS is overrated. I read so many tales of people claiming it saved their bacon. But we weren't short of bacon in the modern pre-ABS days. Not saying you shouldn't get it.

My rule is I don't want to buy a new bike without it (and both my current bikes have it, but none of my prior bikes did), but I'm OK with buying used bikes that don't have it. I wouldn't worry about that if a bike comes along that otherwise looks good.

At 6'1" I doubt you're physically too large for too many bikes.

You probably don't have a great frame of reference yet, but you can get an idea here
www.cycle-ergo.com

Did the KTM 390 feel physically too small for you? Haven't ridden one, but I've read they're a bit frenetic--not a beginner's small displacement bike. Not suggesting you couldn't handle it.

All the choices on your list make sense to me. I don't think I'd be happy with a manual gearbox NC700--I think I'd get frustrated banging into the low rev limiter. With the DCT option the bike would take care of that for me.

I like a lot of this advice. I've ridden since I was barely more than a toddler in the 60s. Here's my advice, in no particular order: The OC says he's a cyclist. I don't know if that will help much (I made my living as a cyclist for a long time) but it sure won't hurt. Have you read John Forester's excellent "Effective Cycling?" If not, please get a copy and read it a couple of times. It will help you be a much, much better cyclist, and a lot of it (where to place yourself in traffic , for example) applies to motorcycling.
A lot of the advice you're getting on "which bike" while fine, seems biased toward the poster (IMO), which makes sense , but might not apply to you so much.
I would absolutely not advise you that any bike is "not enough bike" for you, considering you've never owned or operated a motorcycle before.
I've owned dozens of motorcycles, from little Vespas to liter sized race replicas. I've sold them as well, so I've been fortunate enough to ride a LOT of bikes.
You can ride a little, weak bike, say a vintage Honda CB350, and have a blast wringing its neck. Not unlike, say, a first generation RX7. However, even an experienced motorcyclist cannot exploit a modern 600cc sport bike, let alone a current superbike. My advice: there is no such thing as "too weak" provided you can easily keep up with traffic.
Advice #2: Consider a dual sport. It's really, really nice to be able to drop your first bike and not have to worry about expensive body work. It's also really nice to ride off road, where you can develop your skills and fall off without getting hurt. Every good motorcyclist I know has started as an off-roader. A dual sport is affordable, durable, and has a nice upright position. You can get cramped riding, for example, a Kawasaki Versys or 500cc Honda. I'm talking about a bike being physically too small for you, not too small power wise. Of course, if you look at a Honda XLR 650 (for example) you're giving up ABS. Which, IMO, is way over-rated. If it were an option on a new bike, I'd get it. But if it weren't on a bike, I wouldn't sweat it. But I get it: at your age, and coming from a car background, it seems really important.
The small V-Strom is a great bike. So are the new, smaller BMWs. But I'd wait to buy until I had an opinion. I'm not saying to wait a long time, I'm saying look and test until you know what you like and don't like. And I do recommend a used or cheap bike. It's the nature of learning. You're budget is too much for what you need. Save some for your second bike, is my advice.
There are literally DOZENS of great choices for you. Some are cheap as chips, but that doesn't make them bad.
My final advice: watch On Any Sunday, and every other motorcycle movie. Talk to real people (not to devalue us) and visit motorcycle shops. You can get your license after you take a course that provides a bike. Then look around and see what speaks to you. I've ridden a . V-Strom 650. It's a GREAT bike, and a better value. I just couldn't own one myself. It's too...scratch that. It's not enough of something. It looks are as exciting to me as a box of keenex, and although it is completely competent is lacks any sort of mechanical personality. FOR ME. Motorcycling, more than almost anything else, is a personal thing. You don't NEED to ride. So find what YOU like. Make the first bike easy to handle and devoid of expensive body work . And do consider, at some point, riding off road. It will develop skills and it's generally safer.
Have fun, good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Yeah, a lot of us spent the early part of our riding time on less than perfect terrain. I grew up on a farm. I started riding the equivalent of dual purpose bikes when I was 13. One of my favorites back then was a two stroke Suzuki TS250. We lived 2 miles from the nearest hard surface road so I cut my chops on gravel roads, corn fields, pastures, etc. Even rode my first one the day after a early fall snowstorm. Came down a hill behind the barn and forgot that snow typically would fill in the draw and the bike went into the snow and I went out across it. All that was sticking out of the snow was the handle bars. My mom would complain when I would come down the gravel road and make the slight turn toward the 10 ft bank on the front yard next to the gravel road and hit it at a fairly good speed to see how far I could be airborne on the bike across the yard until I landed.

Ahhh... the things we did when we were young.

Like crotch rockets seem to be the "in thing" for young riders now to run around town in groups. Back in the late 60's / Early 70's, the "in thing" was to run around streets with dual sport bikes, most of which were the two stroke Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, etc with a few Hondas in the mix.

This spring I met a fellow touring the USA on a 400 twin honda he restored. You do not need a lot of power to tour.

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
This spring I met a fellow touring the USA on a 400 twin honda he restored. You do not need a lot of power to tour.

Rod

So true, perspective is everything. In the 1970's a 750cc four cylinder Honda was a super bike. Today, the baseline seems to be 900cc and making its way to 1200cc. So many traveled the country with 350 to 500 cc bikes in the 70's. Coming from the 70's game, it is still hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea of bikes having almost the same displacement as small car engines now. Just wonder how Steve McQueen, Marlon Brando, et al got along with those tiny 650cc Triumphs. Sarcasm intended.

The thing about ABS is it may be a crutch... One of the primary skills you need to learn is brake modulation. You need to be reflexive about lever pressure and foot pressure in all sorts of varying conditions. You absolutely can not depend on a road surface to be consistent in any way and YOU have to be ready to compensate in an instant. Hit an oil patch and you will have to ride and brake through it ...

Dual sport and dirt braking is the best training, IMHO
smile.gif

Up hill, down hill, off camber, sand, mud, dirt, gravel. Braking is a learned skill. And once learned not forgotten
smile.gif

As the others said, I put thousands of miles on a Honda SL90 getting to work and around town. Power - none there. But roomy and comfy for a small bike. You can learn on nearly anything. And sometimes, less power is a good teacher ... Now I ride a 1200 and I use the power now and then. But mostly not ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
You can modulate the brakes on an ABS bike just like a non-ABS bike. You just don't crash when you get it wrong on an ABS bike.

Believe me, I've seen plenty of people crash ABS equipped bikes. Riding Skill and understanding the laws of Physics, still matters even in the world of bikes with ABS, Traction Control, wheelie control, lean angle sensors, etc.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
You can modulate the brakes on an ABS bike just like a non-ABS bike. You just don't crash when you get it wrong on an ABS bike.

Believe me, I've seen plenty of people crash ABS equipped bikes. Riding Skill and understanding the laws of Physics, still matters even in the world of bikes with ABS, Traction Control, wheelie control, lean angle sensors, etc.

Sure, but they didn't crash because they inadvertently locked a wheel.

ABS is functionally superior. No question. BUT, learning to ride without it, especially off-road, is a boon that will stay with you. Just as an engineer who grew up using slide rules can better utilize a scientific calculator, or an illustrator who grew up using paper can better utilize CGI. ABS gives, but it also takes away. My fear is that too many who grew up ONLY using it will simply mash the brakes. In my experience, a competent motorcyclist will virtually never need to engage ABS on a road bike. Sure, it's nice to have when you do need it. But an inexperienced motorcyclist may be engaging it quite a lot. Off road, it takes more than it gives, IMO. In other words, ABS is nice to have, but not a substitute for learning to brake.

I think it's better to have a motorcycle with ABS for a beginner. Although I agree learning to ride without ABS is an investment, you can still disable ABS if you really need to.

Also, many thanks for all input.

Get the largest engine you can, 800 cc or so.

If a choice, ABS is great but not sure if available on the size bikes you mention. (there is always that option on the next bike once you are hooked)
People who are against ABS, well, it sounds the same as the people who were against ABS in automobiles decades ago, as well as the people who were against electronic ignition, as well as the people who were against fuel injection, as well as the people who were against ....

My 1000 lb motorcycle (with riders) can stop on a dime in any panic situation, computer can think and react far faster then me, allowing me to focus more on what is taking place and how to avoid instead of braking.

Last edited:
Getting ready for the MSF course, got Shoei RF-SR helmet. I will also buy gloves before signing up.

fclohg.jpg

Motorcycle jacket, pants and boots are not required for the course, heavy denims are acceptable. I will eventually get them all, before getting the bike.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I’m hoping you’re going to really love motorcycling!

I am sure I will. The only thing makes me worried is I am not sure if I am going to love cycling as much (used to ride 1500-2000 miles per year), after getting used to ride a motorcycle.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Originally Posted By: gman2304
I’m hoping you’re going to really love motorcycling!

I am sure I will. The only thing makes me worried is I am not sure if I am going to love cycling as much (used to ride 1500-2000 miles per year), after getting used to ride a motorcycle.

I think you will. I'll warn you about something though. If you go on a long ride (on either) then switch, it's a super weird feeling. I've ridden a bicycle over 400 miles in a day, and a motorcycle over twice that. If you go on a long ride on a motorcycle (or bicycle) then jump on a bicycle (or motorcycle) it's just a weird feeling. Kind of like walking after skiing all day.

The best beginner bike is a dirt bike. Buy one. Learn in the dirt. You will learn skills that will make you a much better street rider

Originally Posted By: blueglide88
The best beginner bike is a dirt bike. Buy one. Learn in the dirt. You will learn skills that will make you a much better street rider
Come to think about it +1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back