I am too stupid /old at 62 to buy a new motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading the posts here and I haven't seen a mention of what type of riding YOU want to do. Touring, bar hopping, around town street fighting, drag racing?. I think you should think about how the bike will be used, this way you will buy something your happy with. All bikes can be considered a compromise, but if you only want to go for slow back road Sunday morning rides, you don't want a Hyabusa, or a Goldwing. And with a little looking around you should be able to find a good used low mileage bike, that will be just what you want for the best price. There are some deals out there at this time of year.,,

Last edited:
i went to the bike shop to ponder motorcycles and I had to move a KTM RC 390. I always overlooked anything under 600 cc because of their power and bigger is better. I move the bike and then what the heck I sat on it. It reminded me of when I had a Yamaha RD350 . I really miss 2 stroke motorcycles. I may take the 390 for a test ride when the weather clears up.

At 77 years old I would love to ride again. I had a 55 Sportster and rode a English vertical twin to college many years ago. I never forgot the pleasure I had until I got side hit by some person coming out of a parking spot. I could ride again but, am fearful if I got into a situation requiring great balance and quick responses. I still may got a 350 something lightweight. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
At 77 years old I would love to ride again. I had a 55 Sportster and rode a English vertical twin to college many years ago. I never forgot the pleasure I had until I got side hit by some person coming out of a parking spot. I could ride again but, am fearful if I got into a situation requiring great balance and quick responses. I still may got a 350 something lightweight. Ed

Something like a Suzuki S40 might be up your alley. Sportster size, but about 150lbs lighter (around 340lbs). Has a very mild 650cc single cylinder, belt drive, air cooled. Simple gas and go sort of machine.

I looked at a DR650 today and It is really tempting. The DR 650 is on the list!.

Just watch out for deer when you do get a bike!! Or, you can be watching out and the [censored] things still dart into you ...
21.gif

I'm 62 this year and ride every day to work. I don't intend to give up anytime soon so you are not too old to ride.

I would consider seat height so you can flat foot when stopped and not too much in excess of 400lbs for wheeling around the garage. My bike is relatively small and light but not fast. I did fast 40 years ago with a Z900 and have nothing to prove.

I ride all year round right through the winter. Perversely I think it's safer to keep your hand in rather than ride only in the summer. Motorcycling is a skill that continues to develop no matter how long you've been at it and long breaks off are not conducive to keeping up that skill. If you do have the winter off then there needs to be an awareness of vulnerability until the skills are honed again. These days the skills are as much about riding defensively as anything else and I highly recommend HiVis to help keep you alive.

Originally Posted By: Jolly_Rogers
I bought a Sportster 2 years ago when I was 63. I thought we were required to buy Harleys at our age?!?

grin.gif

Joe
I would think so!

Built 2015: the never-ending project at 64... great excuse to buy machine tools.

Bought 2015:

DSC00279_zpsl72yfshy.jpg

Riding and enjoying both of these, and my Vespa 300.

I'm too stupid and old to buy a new motorcycle, but not too old and stupid to get a good secondhand one.

Never too old or too stupid! That's my motto...

Get a smaller bike to start out on if you have been away for awhile. Light weight and low horsepower are your friends until you get the feel back. Yes, you'll be able to hop on anything and go cruising down the road, but very quickly you will encounter the usual dangers of the highway: texters not watching, vehicles pulling out in front of you, deer running across the highway, oil on the road, etc. Dealing with all of those things requires "feel" that takes awhile to get back, and IMHO a smaller bike is better for regaining the feel.

Well ??? buy anything yet????

Another option for a lightish weight cruiser is a VSTAR 1300, fantastic bike, you will never outgrow it, in the way your talking and at age of only 62, you will be fine.

Dude I'm 66 and have a Road King and a BMW RT1150 in my garage. I'm trying to decide right now between a Yamaha FJ-09 triple or the new Triumph 1200cc Bonneville to add to the fleet. The wife is agreeable and feels I need a reward for having been a good boy after having a toal left knee replacement 6 weeks ago. Had 7 bikes and have whittled it down somewhat. Since I have had loads of old Britbikes in the past I'm leaning toward the Triumph but that FJ hauls-BIGTIME!. I've also got a 500 HP 6.4 Litre Challenger Scat Pack in the garage for when I REALLY want to haul posterior! JUST DO IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back