I am too stupid /old at 62 to buy a new motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Saw a nice looking (and sounding) Triumph the other day. Thinking about selling my Sportster and buying one. The Sporty is great run around bike. Yeah, on paper it's a bit heavy, but it is weight carried low and on the centerline, so it does nothing bad to the "flick-a-bility"
smile.gif

But, it's not really big enough (chassis wise) for me and my wife. For that we rent a Road King. So whatever I ride for me, is just for me and maybe the grand-baby (9).

I'm 70 and not looking to get off bikes anytime soon ... Prolly owned 30 or more in my lifetime ... Loved my BMW K 750 for go stop and handle, but the ergo's got me.

I'll freshen up the XL350 desert bike (and tune the engine down some) for "dual sporting". So maybe just one street something ...

I like the Triumph Thunderbird big cruisers, came close to buying a couple years back. Great deal, over the phone with a dealer 2 hours away. Something like close to or at $4000 off sticker, right over the phone.

Ended up with the Road King and glad I did :eek:)

Anyway, really would love to own a big Triumph but, issue here, like many motorcycle brands, I have no dealers near me, the closest is 2 hours away and with Harley, I have one less then 10 miles away and a second one an easy 30 minute ride away.

Its not like I live in some far corner of my state, I near the capital! *L* but its a small state...

Last edited:
At 61 my 1996 Speed Triple has ergos that have finally become too uncomfortable; it's also a bit heavy. I'm moving to either a Bonneville or a 310 GS.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
At 61 my 1996 Speed Triple has ergos that have finally become too uncomfortable; it's also a bit heavy. I'm moving to either a Bonneville or a 310 GS.

I suggest giving a Sportster Roadster a shot.

I just turned 71 and Ride an older Ducati 900 Monster and vintage Triumphs..I still rip up on the back roads but a little slower on the curves..Many older riders become less agile and reactions might not be as fast.. .You have to keep that in mind...

My uncle's father is planning his Ultimate Coast To Coast Iron Butt ride for next year-wants to celebrate his birthday in Deadhorse.

His 85th birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back