I am too stupid /old at 62 to buy a new motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gman2304

I bought an old 95 Harley Electra glide 18 months ago. When I bought it, it only had 22,000 original miles on it. It was a one owner and after some maintenance and a new set of tires I've put 10,000 miles on it since. It was 72 degrees here yesterday and I rode it about 80 miles, just puttin around on 2 lane country roads. I didn't pay a fortune for it and it's in the garage when I do want to ride. I'm 63.
Still thinking .

I've just come back from a short ride on our Waikato back roads - they are hilly, twisty and rough, and a 50hp 650 twin is more than enough for these roads. I push it pretty hard for a 62 year old, there is no old man approach to my riding....there were plenty of places where I could've stuffed it up big time...and a couple of places where I did. I've been riding all my life, and have never been without at least one bike to ride, even if it's a 50cc scooter, I'm going to push it and have some fun.

I know a guy that did the Alaska to Ushuaia(very bottom of S.America) when he was 72 on a dual sport Suzuki he bought new.

So if you are able to physically handle the bike and have the mental awareness....go for it.

Depends where you live to a degree. Is traffic terrible? Do you have decent, SAFE roads to ride on....or a mess of cars and traffic that makes riding a bike a scary nightmare?

As we age, our reactions, balance, endurance, sight, coordination, and even judgment...can start to diminish a bit. That's certainly something to consider.

I value my life more now that I am older...and come to realize how fragile we all are. Couple that with my eyes not being as good, and my hands having carpal tunnel (greatly effects clutch/brake usage)...and I have a lot to think about.

When I was younger, I had a feeling that I could see and evade most dangerous situations on a bike. I had a sort of "dumb-guts". The older I get, the more I see how many motorcyclists get killed no matter what they do. Like just sitting at an intersection as a car smashes into you. Dead as a door nail. We've had more than a few fellas die on bikes at my work. All over 45 years old too. Sad.

I was going to get a Ural as Studebaker suggested here....but just decided that now wasn't the time for many reasons.

I'm sorry for rambling on, but another thing to balance out is if you have kids/grandkids/wife that would be lost without you. There is a lot more to life....MUCH, MUCH more than motorcycles.

In the end, you'll come to a decision. Whatever it is, I hope it works out for you.

I've been riding since age 7. I'm now 52. HOWEVER, I don't ride in city traffic at all anymore. Not at all.

I'll ride certain rural roads without intersections. Such as a ride to the local, uncontrolled airport (where I keep my plane) . And, that's about it. Or longer, rural Florida roads.

I'd say, get what you want. Don't go heavy, and make sure it's a responsive, good handling bike, without compromise for style or type.

My Brit neighbor Always wanted a Harley. But, he did not understand that the model he purchased had very limited cornering clearance. His "Blue Ridge Parkway" vacation ended in near disaster, as he (needlessly) crashed badly.

I'd guess you'd have better/safer results and more fun on a Ducati hypermotard, than a Full Dress Harley. But, that's just me.

2014-Ducati-Hypermotard2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Silk
andrewgu. There is a lot more to life....MUCH said:
Trust me, there is A LOT more.

But, to each his own. Just don't be too set in any particular activity at the expense of exploring other interests that may arise.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If you have not ridden in a while get something smaller and lighter rather than big and heavy.
Suzuki gsx-s 1000 about 469 lbs, Harley Sportster 562 lbs. 426 dry lbs. Kawasaki Ninja 300 385 wet. KTM 1290 416 lbs dry. All seem heavy.

CT8, consider a Harley FLD Dyna Switchback. Because eventually you may want to do some light touring out on the road. Think of it as a slightly larger Sportster with quick-detach hard bags and windshield as std equipment. And the 103 engine.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
CT8, consider a Harley FLD Dyna Switchback. Because eventually you may want to do some light touring out on the road. Think of it as a slightly larger Sportster with quick-detach hard bags and windshield as std equipment. And the 103 engine.

Larger and heavier too.

If he is open to Triumph, they make some Dyna sized bikes like the America that weigh about as much as a Harley Sporty. Not as big of an engine, but that never stopped any of us as the engine has a very linear power band that makes it do just fine. Not to mention they are very good buys. Lots of bike for the buck.

Originally Posted By: CT8
A Suzuki GSX s 1000 It is the only M/c says buy me since I bought my 1971 Kawasaki Mach III which is what I compare every bike I have ever been on,not for the handling or braking but as the most wonderful engine feel. The inline 4 cyls pull from idle to wot like an electric motor but without a Feel.

The GSX-S 1000, would be my choice. I haven't ridden one, but every review I've seen, and the opinion of experienced rider friends that have ridden it, have been very positive.

The Suzuki has about twice the HP of the old mach III, plus a chassis that can handle the power.

My own experience with Suzuki is that they are well made, and reliable.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: CT8
A Suzuki GSX s 1000 It is the only M/c says buy me since I bought my 1971 Kawasaki Mach III which is what I compare every bike I have ever been on,not for the handling or braking but as the most wonderful engine feel. The inline 4 cyls pull from idle to wot like an electric motor but without a Feel.

The GSX-S 1000, would be my choice. I haven't ridden one, but every review I've seen, and the opinion of experienced rider friends that have ridden it, have been very positive.

The Suzuki has about twice the HP of the old mach III, plus a chassis that can handle the power.

My own experience with Suzuki is that they are well made, and reliable.
The 1000 has close to triple the hp and everything else better but the 4 cyls are so steril. Smooth powerful and blah. Though it is priced right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back