Help stop my head from spinning - oil for newly purchased '21 Subaru Crosstrek 2.5L

Don’t see why don’t we start putting 10w60 into everything, thicker = more protection right???
Psst... Amateurs'
Kendall_GT-1_Nitro_70_Quart__44747.1556547380.png

I think valvoline and Mobil1 have the best looking logos and bottles. Therefore they will work the best because you will feel good about it.

Last edited:
You mentioned some folks bashing Valvoline; I thought I've read just the opposite. As said by others: it really doesn't matter.............:)

Doesn’t your Subaru dealership do the oil changes every 6,000 miles for the full duration of the 3 years/36,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty? I wonder why you don’t have that my son got it for his 2020 Impreza Premium.

With today's modern synthetics a 3K OCI is wasteful IMO...Any SN or SP rated 0w20 syn. (Kirkland, ST etc...included) should be capable of 5K at the very least (unless you are doing very short trips ..ie: 1 or 2 miles each way regularly where the oil never gets to burn off moisture).

Doesn’t your Subaru dealership do the oil changes every 6,000 miles for the full duration of the 3 years/36,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty? I wonder why you don’t have that my son got it for his 2020 Impreza Premium.
I didn't buy that service plan or whatever they call it, besides, the nearest dealership is an hour away from me. Although even if it were just across the street I wouldn't have them do it. I have not had good luck with dealerships over the years. I'd rather just do it myself. I've never had someone change my own oil and I don't plan on starting at age 50. :D

(unless you are doing very short trips ..ie: 1 or 2 miles each way regularly where the oil never gets to burn off moisture).

bingo. It's not 1-2 miles, but in the 15 minute commute in winter the oil will not reach the necessary temps :)

At lunch I drive 0.5 mile and back and the store and whatnot are not too far from us. So there will be numerous short trips over the lifetime of the oil.

I know I'm doing way more reading/research and over thinking than I need to, but I'm trying to decide on an oil. Lot of the posts I've found on 0w20 oils are from before the SP spec. I ended up ordering two 5 gallon jugs of Valvoline EP 0w20 for $22.98ea. Although I ran across some threads on this site of some people bashing Valvoline and now I'm wondering if I could have chosen a "better oil". Also ran across some saying how Mobil 1 doesn't do worth a darn in boxer motors. I DON'T plan on doing extended OCI's, as I don't drive a lot and I want to keep fresh oil in it seeing it's a GDI engine. Probably will be changing every 3,000 miles or so. Will be running the Wix 57055XP oil filter. Also plan on running either Berryman or CRC intake valve cleaner through it every other oil change as well.

I thought about running Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0w20, but decided against due to cost and the fact I will be dumping it after only 3,000 miles.
Thought about Royal Purple 0w20 or Castrol Edge 0w20 as well.

This is what I bought:

Any comments?
From what I've seen, API SP/GF-6 is close to Dexos1 Gen2, so there's no need to lose sleep there. There were no big formulation shifts since SN Plus.

Until Dexos1 Gen3 rolls out to shelves, your Valvoline Ext(ra) Protection is about as good as you can get for a mass market, US manufacturer cert'd oil.

I would recommend switching to a regular Wix filter for <10,000 mile intervals. The Wix XP's are just not worth the sacrifice in efficiency. I'd rather change an OCOD twice.

If these aren’t picky with oil, use any 0w20.

If you have an allowable range, I’d probably step it up to a 5w30 if you’re worried and be done with it.

For 3K changes, run whatever meets what Subi says to run. Not worth overthinking this.

hmm, I had to look this up. I had no idea the XP filters were only rated down to 35microns while the standard ones are rated at 15 microns.....??
I would thumb through this thread particularly from page 19-21 on some actual efficiency data from a member on a Wix XP and other filters

I would project that a regular Wix would test between the Royal Purple and AC Delco filter tested.

I would thumb through this thread particularly from page 19-21 on some actual efficiency data from a member on a Wix XP and other filters

I would project that a regular Wix would test between the Royal Purple and AC Delco filter tested.

thanks for the link!

I'd run a Fram Ultra (ugh, haven't ran an OCOD for MANY years though), if they met the higher bypass pressure requirements of Subaru. I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker or not though.......?

I wonder what the black Subaru Tokyo Roki's would test out at.

thanks for the link!

I'd run a Fram Ultra (ugh, haven't ran an OCOD for MANY years though), if they met the higher bypass pressure requirements of Subaru. I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker or not though.......?

I wonder what the black Subaru Tokyo Roki's would test out at.
PurolatorOne PL14615 has a bypass spec of "20-30 psi" and filter at 99% "Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001"

That would be my alternative to a Wix Regular/Napa Gold if a Fram Ultra won't work.

Why would you need to project anything? And what is the basis for projection. The WIX oil filter is rated 99% efficient at 23 microns, for my WIX 51515.

Back