Help stop my head from spinning - oil for newly purchased '21 Subaru Crosstrek 2.5L

I know I'm doing way more reading/research and over thinking than I need to, but I'm trying to decide on an oil. Lot of the posts I've found on 0w20 oils are from before the SP spec. I ended up ordering two 5 gallon jugs of Valvoline EP 0w20 for $22.98ea. Although I ran across some threads on this site of some people bashing Valvoline and now I'm wondering if I could have chosen a "better oil". Also ran across some saying how Mobil 1 doesn't do worth a darn in boxer motors. I DON'T plan on doing extended OCI's, as I don't drive a lot and I want to keep fresh oil in it seeing it's a GDI engine. Probably will be changing every 3,000 miles or so. Will be running the Wix 57055XP oil filter. Also plan on running either Berryman or CRC intake valve cleaner through it every other oil change as well.

I thought about running Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0w20, but decided against due to cost and the fact I will be dumping it after only 3,000 miles.
Thought about Royal Purple 0w20 or Castrol Edge 0w20 as well.

This is what I bought:

Any comments?

I’ve been going crazy just like you. Didn’t matter at the end, after 5 years and 50k miles I traded it in and forgot. Pick any, you will notice 0 difference
That's what I think too! My Toyota almost sees another oil ever OCI. Its has almost 150 K now and it runs great and hardly uses any oil. Maybe a half quart in 5K now.

I wouldn't think much of it, but Valvoline EP should be .8% sulfated ash if it's just rebranded "Modern Engine" oil, so should mobil1 EP, as well as Castrol Edge, both the EP and the regular black bottle Edge are now .8% ash, lower ash may be beneficial in preventing intake valve deposits in direct injection motors, but otherwise any 0W20 changed often enough should be good.

Ran Valvoline EP 0W20 in my wife’s 19 Pilot. No issues. Currently running Mobil EP 5W20. It’s speced for 0W20, again no issues.

Thanks guys.

OK, another question. factory fill. When to dump it? I have ~850 miles on the car and I am already getting the itch to dump it.

On my '05 Civic I bought new, the manual specifically stated not to dump it early, but I made it to ~1,500 miles before I dumped it.

My Crosstrek manual states nothing like that.

I know I'm doing way more reading/research and over thinking than I need to, but I'm trying to decide on an oil. Lot of the posts I've found on 0w20 oils are from before the SP spec. I ended up ordering two 5 gallon jugs of Valvoline EP 0w20 for $22.98ea. Although I ran across some threads on this site of some people bashing Valvoline and now I'm wondering if I could have chosen a "better oil". Also ran across some saying how Mobil 1 doesn't do worth a darn in boxer motors. I DON'T plan on doing extended OCI's, as I don't drive a lot and I want to keep fresh oil in it seeing it's a GDI engine. Probably will be changing every 3,000 miles or so. Will be running the Wix 57055XP oil filter. Also plan on running either Berryman or CRC intake valve cleaner through it every other oil change as well.

I thought about running Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0w20, but decided against due to cost and the fact I will be dumping it after only 3,000 miles.
Thought about Royal Purple 0w20 or Castrol Edge 0w20 as well.

This is what I bought:

Any comments?
Your engine can’t read. Any SN or SP 0w20 will work well. Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol, whatever. Oil is cheap. Engines are expensive. I overchange my oil and filter by doing both on 5000 mile intervals. Air filter every 30,000 miles. My engines last 300,000 miles. Best Wishes.

Not sure but I think I read that the factory fill oil has extra additives in there to deal with the initial breakin. Regular oil is there to meet EPA fuel economy and pollution standards. I would leave it. The heavy stuff will get filtered by the filter. The fine stuff wont have enough to do any real damage before its flushed out on the next few OCIs.

Back