Mobil 1 ESP Oils: '21 Subaru Crosstrek & '21 GMC Acadia

OK, I've been doing lots of reading on these oils and such and what I am about to ask has probably been asked before...so please bear with me. :) I'm just struggling trying to grasp how the different approvals compare to each other. I'm seeking some help from the well informed on this site, as I'm not one of them.

I have a '21 Crosstrek with a FB25D. I was looking to run Castrol Edge EP 0w20. I then noticed I can get Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w20 for a little more $$$. It does have some impressive approvals. What does the 'ETR' after SP mean below? Subaru manual calls for SN+, so this oil should meet all OEM specs and should be just fine to run, correct? My main concerns are intake valve deposits, timing chain wear and LSPI over the long haul. I'm assuming this ESP 0w20 will be just as good as Castrol Edge EP 0w20 related to these concerns? Which is the better oil, in regards to my concerns and ignoring the price difference between the two?

1678508980677.png

The other vehicle is a '21 Acadia with the 3.6L LGX requiring D1G3 5w30. I was also looking into Castrol Edge EP 5w30 for this, but am thinking about running Mobil 1 ESP 0/5w30. I'm just a bit concerned about them not meeting D1G3, even though they meet the much more stringent approvals. Again, my main concerns are the same as above. How can these oils below meet the approvals they do, but yet not be approved for GM's D1G3? Is it because they wouldn't meet them, or because they simply were not tested? Am I better off running the D1G3 approved Castrol Edge EP 5w30 over either of the Mobil 1 ESP oils? If ESP, 0w30 or 5w30?

1678509716420.png

1678509753867.png

I am trying to figure out what makes D1G3 so special/different that some of these very good oils do not hold it's approval?

Last edited:
The ESP oils are targeted for European vehicles that don’t need Dexos approval. I’m sure they would pass but there is no need for Mobil to seek the approval.

If you try the ESP I would be curious what you think, I’ve thought about trying it my ‘21 Traverse. Running Mobil 1 5W-30 EP for now.

Last edited:
The ESP oils are targeted for European vehicles that don’t need Dexos approval. I’m sure they would pass but there is no need for Mobil to seek the approval.

That's what I figured, however assuming they would pass and actually passing are two different things.

If you try the ESP I would be curious what you think, I’ve thought about trying it my ‘21 Traverse. Running Mobil 1 5W-30 EP for now.

It's what I am also currently running in it. I guess what my thoughts are on the ESP oils would have no bearing on how it's actually performing and would perform long term in regards to IVD, timing chain wear and LSPI. The only thing keeping me from trying it is not knowing how it would perform in those areas long term in relation to D1G3/API SP standards.

I know I am overthinking it and getting to the point of paralysis by analysis. :)

I just want to see what others who are more informed than I am think.

Why not castrol edge EP?

I'm considering it, just want to know the pros/cons of Edge EP vs the ESP oils.

I'm guessing it's just splitting hairs between the two. However, one must do something better than the other and visa-versa?

Last edited:
Just got back from Wal-Mart. They had Castrol Edge EP 0w20 5qt jug on clearance for $7! Granted, it was only labeled D1G2 on the jug, so a bit older, but still. They have one jug left, I probably should have bought both and may go back.

1678554211940.jpg

Acording to this thread, the D1G2 and D1G3 0w20 versions are identical.

Last edited:
I'm considering it, just want to know the pros/cons of Edge EP vs the ESP oils.

I'm guessing it's just splitting hairs between the two. However, one must do something better than the other and visa-versa?

Well Edge EP has a nice mix of both American and Euro approvals so perfect for the GMC at least since its also dexos

I went back to Wal-Mart and grabbed the last 5qt jug of that Edge EP 0w20 D1G2 for $7. I then looked around and noticed they had the single quarts of both 0w20 and 5w30 Edge EP that were the older D1G2 marked bottles on clearance as well. They only had 3 gold quarts total on the shelf. All the standard black Edge bottles were D1G3 and were normal price.

Last edited:
I just changed our 2022 Crosstrek’s oil recently. 500 mi. so far on the M1 0w30 ESP and I like it! Seems to be quieter than the previous 0w20’s and M1 AFE. Also went with a MicroGard Select filter this time.

Back