Help stop my head from spinning - oil for newly purchased '21 Subaru Crosstrek 2.5L

I’ve run Valvoline in my Subaru. My used oil analysis showed Identical wear numbers to M1EP and AMSOIL ASM, the TBN was lower at the 6K mark on Valvoline but nothing to be concerned about, it’s not designed to be an extended OCI oil. Added bonus is that Valvoline runs significantly quieter than M1EP.
thanks for the link!

I'd run a Fram Ultra (ugh, haven't ran an OCOD for MANY years though), if they met the higher bypass pressure requirements of Subaru. I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker or not though.......?

I wonder what the black Subaru Tokyo Roki's would test out at.
I personally disregarded the bypass figure and I’ve run my Subaru for 140,000 miles using Fram Ultras without issue. The car doesn’t use any oil on a 5-6K oil change.

With today's modern synthetics a 3K OCI is wasteful IMO...Any SN or SP rated 0w20 syn. (Kirkland, ST etc...included) should be capable of 5K at the very least (unless you are doing very short trips ..ie: 1 or 2 miles each way regularly where the oil never gets to burn off moisture).
Not necessarily. It really depends on the driving conditions and OEM intervals.

WIX 57055 oil filter for the Subaru Crostrek with 2.5 engine has a nominal rating of 15 microns and a bypass valve setting of 27 PSI.

Nothing wrong with using thicker, but I would stick with what is recommended during warranty. Afterwards, I would go Euro 5w30, but that's just me.

Anyway, enjoy the new car!

Why would you need to project anything? And what is the basis for projection. The WIX oil filter is rated 99% efficient at 23 microns, for my WIX 51515.

Actual test data from the link he provided.

1632179248429.jpg

Last edited:
PurolatorOne PL14615 has a bypass spec of "20-30 psi" and filter at 99% "Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001"

That would be my alternative to a Wix Regular/Napa Gold if a Fram Ultra won't work.

What about the Purolator BOSS?? What is that one all about?

I know I'm doing way more reading/research and over thinking than I need to, but I'm trying to decide on an oil. Lot of the posts I've found on 0w20 oils are from before the SP spec. I ended up ordering two 5 gallon jugs of Valvoline EP 0w20 for $22.98ea. Although I ran across some threads on this site of some people bashing Valvoline and now I'm wondering if I could have chosen a "better oil". Also ran across some saying how Mobil 1 doesn't do worth a darn in boxer motors. I DON'T plan on doing extended OCI's, as I don't drive a lot and I want to keep fresh oil in it seeing it's a GDI engine. Probably will be changing every 3,000 miles or so. Will be running the Wix 57055XP oil filter. Also plan on running either Berryman or CRC intake valve cleaner through it every other oil change as well.

I thought about running Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0w20, but decided against due to cost and the fact I will be dumping it after only 3,000 miles.
Thought about Royal Purple 0w20 or Castrol Edge 0w20 as well.

This is what I bought:

Any comments?
Have you got it all figured out, now?

There no test data either in that link nor in the picture you just pasted, that shows the non-XP WIX filter.

That's why he projected what he did based on the test results of what was tested vs the published rating of the non-XP Wix.

I run Valvoline in my 2019 Subaru Impreza and it does just fine. Manual calls for 6k OCI and that works fine as well.

You mentioned Wix (or it's NAPA sibling) oil filters work great with the added benefit of meeting the bypass spec if that's a concern.

As far as reading a certain oil being bashed or glorified...all brands have supporters and detractors. Same goes for filters

As others far more versed in this than I have stated...Choose an oil that meets specs and you're golden.

You've made good choices...no worries.

Why would you need to project anything? And what is the basis for projection. The WIX oil filter is rated 99% efficient at 23 microns, for my WIX 51515.
For your Wix.

OP said he was planning to use Wix 57055 (but the xp version) which does not have beta ratios listed. I would anticipate the Wix 57055 to be around 95% at 20 microns.

What about the Purolator BOSS?? What is that one all about?
That's on the test data from Ascent as well. Similar to Wix XP. They both sacrifice efficiency for dirt holding capacity for extended drain intervals.

OK, did some looking around and reading about oil filter bypass pressure. Looks like Fram Ultra's flow VERY good and seeing the oil filter will only go into bypass when pressure differential through the filter media reaches whatever the bypass pressure rating of the valve is, I don't think I'll have an issue running an Ultra on my Subaru. Seeing the Ultra's flow so well they don't need higher bypass pressure in order to keep the oil from bypassing.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I haven't ran a Fram filter for decades, probably since I was a teenager. Fram has been a four letter word to me ever since the OCOD many years ago. If the Ultra truly is a good, efficient filter, I may have to bite the bullet.

Last edited:
Valvoline is fine and so is Mobile1. I'll even go as far as to admit my dad was a Mobile1 fan and used it in all his Subarus.

Not sure but I think I read that the factory fill oil has extra additives in there to deal with the initial breakin. Regular oil is there to meet EPA fuel economy and pollution standards. I would leave it. The heavy stuff will get filtered by the filter. The fine stuff wont have enough to do any real damage before its flushed out on the next few OCIs.
This no longer seems to be the case with the 0W-20's. At one point, you could always find Subaru FF UOA's with high moly and high ZDDP (0W-20 and 5W-30) but I haven't seen any recent examples of the higher metallic additives in the FF.

That said, I'd still keep the factory fill in for at least 3,000 miles. No benefit to change the oil any earlier, IMO.

OK, did some looking around and reading about oil filter bypass pressure. Looks like Fram Ultra's flow VERY good and seeing the oil filter will only go into bypass when pressure differential through the filter media reaches whatever the bypass pressure rating of the valve is, I don't think I'll have an issue running an Ultra on my Subaru. Seeing the Ultra's flow so well they don't need higher bypass pressure in order to keep the oil from bypassing.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I haven't ran a Fram filter for decades, probably since I was a teenager. Fram has been a four letter word to me ever since the OCOD many years ago. If the Ultra truly is a good, efficient filter, I may have to bite the bullet.

Just ran across this thread about the recent change to the Ultra line of filters.

I just got back from Wal-Mart and the 7317 is indeed the newer one. May pick up a Titanium at Car Quest (AAP) when I get a chance.

Is it safe to say even the new redesigned Ultra is still one of the more efficient and best flowing on the market, outside of AMSOIL filters?

That Valvoline will work. I think Subaru got a head on the oil consumption issues with the 2011-2014 FB20/25 engines. Subaru also calls for 7K OCIs, 5K is my hard limit for anything that doesn’t use a “smart” OLM(Honda, GM, newer Fords, and many Euro cars for better or worse). Beyond that, do a UOA.

Use what the manual recommends there isn't enough difference between the brands with equal specs . Todays oils have to be that good.
SP rated , D1 / Gen 2, or new 3 synthetic oil in a Subaru recommended / allowable grade oil and with a max 5K mile OCI (GDI engine) .

Back