Help stop my head from spinning - oil for newly purchased '21 Subaru Crosstrek 2.5L

I just got back from Car Quest and picked up a new Fram Titanium FS7317 oil filter and it does have the mesh backing, weighs more than the XG7317 I bought yesterday which doesn't have the mesh backing. The Titanium also states it has mesh backing on the box. I probably got the older stock before they changed.

Just ran across this thread about the recent change to the Ultra line of filters.

I just got back from Wal-Mart and the 7317 is indeed the newer one. May pick up a Titanium at Car Quest (AAP) when I get a chance.

Is it safe to say even the new redesigned Ultra is still one of the more efficient and best flowing on the market, outside of AMSOIL filters?
Yes, in short, buried in that long thread are some good tidbits directly from FRAM. One of which was an email that indicated that they switched to this new media which is slightly better at filtering and they added additional pleats in order to maintain the flow characteristics that we are accustomed to. In my opinion, the whole metal backing drama is for nothing; the new Ultra appears to be a product improvement.

Yes, in short, buried in that long thread are some good tidbits directly from FRAM. One of which was an email that indicated that they switched to this new media which is slightly better at filtering and they added additional pleats in order to maintain the flow characteristics that we are accustomed to. In my opinion, the whole metal backing drama is for nothing; the new Ultra appears to be a product improvement.
But they also didn't respond to anything about holding capacity, so they can claim higher virgin efficiency but they likely severely gimped the holding capacity of the filter and filtration efficiency always decreases as a filter gets more loaded as there's more pressure being applied to the open pores on the media that can force larger particles through. They turned it into a Tough Gaurd with a layer of microglass on top, might as well just buy the tought gaurd, or if I'm buying cellulose anyways might as well just buy the ExtraGaurd it's good enough, the reasons for buying a more expensive filter often come down to superficial things like perceived quality, I just can't justify telling anyone to spend like $10 on a cellulose filter, now the Ultra as we knew it that was a tank of a filter at $10, nothing could compete with it's construction at it's pricepoint, but at $10 for the new Ultra, meh I can get premium filters from other manufacturers, they just turned the Ultra from an obvious great value into something that makes you think "meh, I think I can find a good enough filter for cheaper"

But they also didn't respond to anything about holding capacity, so they can claim higher virgin efficiency but they likely severely gimped the holding capacity of the filter and filtration efficiency always decreases as a filter gets more loaded as there's more pressure being applied to the open pores on the media that can force larger particles through. They turned it into a Tough Gaurd with a layer of microglass on top, might as well just buy the tought gaurd, or if I'm buying cellulose anyways might as well just buy the ExtraGaurd it's good enough, the reasons for buying a more expensive filter often come down to superficial things like perceived quality, I just can't justify telling anyone to spend like $10 on a cellulose filter, now the Ultra as we knew it that was a tank of a filter at $10, nothing could compete with it's construction at it's pricepoint, but at $10 for the new Ultra, meh I can get premium filters from other manufacturers, they just turned the Ultra from an obvious great value into something that makes you think "meh, I think I can find a good enough filter for cheaper"
Trying not to turn this thread into a new Fram Ultra back and forth but OP seems to not be doing extended OCIs and his engine is known for being extremely easy on oil. There is no way he will be pushing an Ultra to capacity. For the $9, you still can’t beat the new Ultra when it comes to efficiency.

Trying not to turn this thread into a new Fram Ultra back and forth but OP seems to not be doing extended OCIs and his engine is known for being extremely easy on oil. There is no way he will be pushing an Ultra to capacity. For the $9, you still can’t beat the new Ultra when it comes to efficiency.
Meh, it's a cellulose filter with a superficial layer of microglass tossed on top, at $9 it's a rip off, and first brands won't learn, if people buy this crap.

OP seems to not be doing extended OCIs and his engine is known for being extremely easy on oil. There is no way he will be pushing an Ultra to capacity.

You are correct. I don't foresee any reason why it wouldn't make it 3,000 miles while maintaining it's rated efficiency.

at $9 it's a rip off

considering I would be paying more than that for a Wix filter with less efficiency, I consider it a good deal! LOL

Heck, even with a turbocharged Subaru ('04 FXT) that was extremely tough on oil I never stressed about oil filters as much as I did about oil. Most of the time I used an OEM Honeywell, but many times I used whatever cheap filter came as part of an oil change bundle special.

Currently running a Fram ExtraGuard in the Outback XT because it was $3.88 from WalMart and I didn't have any Honeywells lying around. :)

I'm not stressing out about either, I just want to do my due diligence, that's all. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

heck, the blue Subaru oil filters are not all that good and that's what OEM wants us to use! LOL I'd use the black Toyko Roki filters before I'd use the Framaru ones.

I'm not stressing out about either, I just want to do my due diligence, that's all. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

heck, the blue Subaru oil filters are not all that good and that's what OEM wants us to use! LOL I'd use the black Toyko Roki filters before I'd use the Framaru ones.
I put 190k miles on my FXT mainly using the "Framaru" so I do not agree that it's not all that good. Sure, there are better filters but the Honeywell is fine for what it is. I never had any issues with it. None.

I put 190k miles on my FXT mainly using the "Framaru" so I do not agree that it's not all that good. Sure, there are better filters but the Honeywell is fine for what it is. I never had any issues with it. None.
I guess I should clarify....spec-wise, on paper, it's not that good when comparing to other widely available filters.

Thanks guys.

OK, another question. factory fill. When to dump it? I have ~850 miles on the car and I am already getting the itch to dump it.

On my '05 Civic I bought new, the manual specifically stated not to dump it early, but I made it to ~1,500 miles before I dumped it.

My Crosstrek manual states nothing like that.
My daughter had an ‘18 Subie CrossTrek and I dumped it at 1,000 miles. Added PUP 0w20. Ran great.

I know I'm doing way more reading/research and over thinking than I need to, but I'm trying to decide on an oil. Lot of the posts I've found on 0w20 oils are from before the SP spec. I ended up ordering two 5 gallon jugs of Valvoline EP 0w20 for $22.98ea. Although I ran across some threads on this site of some people bashing Valvoline and now I'm wondering if I could have chosen a "better oil". Also ran across some saying how Mobil 1 doesn't do worth a darn in boxer motors. I DON'T plan on doing extended OCI's, as I don't drive a lot and I want to keep fresh oil in it seeing it's a GDI engine. Probably will be changing every 3,000 miles or so. Will be running the Wix 57055XP oil filter. Also plan on running either Berryman or CRC intake valve cleaner through it every other oil change as well.

I thought about running Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0w20, but decided against due to cost and the fact I will be dumping it after only 3,000 miles.
Thought about Royal Purple 0w20 or Castrol Edge 0w20 as well.

This is what I bought:

Any comments?
You're dumping it in 3000 more miles my oh my SuperTech will be just fine or any other oil that is cheaper and on sale. Are you Trolling with artificial lures and pop gear?

Not sure but I think I read that the factory fill oil has extra additives in there to deal with the initial breakin. Regular oil is there to meet EPA fuel economy and pollution standards. I would leave it. The heavy stuff will get filtered by the filter. The fine stuff wont have enough to do any real damage before its flushed out on the next few OCIs.
There is no reason not to trust and go by the initial factory fill recommended oci. We all get itchy and probably have dumped it early in the past. I know I have but know now it was unnecessary. There are specific reasons for the manufacturer instructions. I make a point to read my manuals from front to back when ever we change to a different vehicle, I know it would "snore" some to death!

I know I'm doing way more reading/research and over thinking than I need to, but I'm trying to decide on an oil. Lot of the posts I've found on 0w20 oils are from before the SP spec. I ended up ordering two 5 gallon jugs of Valvoline EP 0w20 for $22.98ea. Although I ran across some threads on this site of some people bashing Valvoline and now I'm wondering if I could have chosen a "better oil". Also ran across some saying how Mobil 1 doesn't do worth a darn in boxer motors. I DON'T plan on doing extended OCI's, as I don't drive a lot and I want to keep fresh oil in it seeing it's a GDI engine. Probably will be changing every 3,000 miles or so. Will be running the Wix 57055XP oil filter. Also plan on running either Berryman or CRC intake valve cleaner through it every other oil change as well.

I thought about running Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0w20, but decided against due to cost and the fact I will be dumping it after only 3,000 miles.
Thought about Royal Purple 0w20 or Castrol Edge 0w20 as well.

This is what I bought:

Any comments?
5 Gallon Jugs? Are you sure those weren't 5 Quart Jugs. Oh well to late to fix it now your 30 second edit time has run out!

Use the factory spec. weight and type of motor oil and you will be fine. I would not recommend a thicker oil. The clearances on modern engines are designed for the "lighter" weight oils not the opposite.

Back