Good on gas - what is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are merely uninformed. The LX/LC series of cars has been out since late 04. Where have you been? Hint: that 2.7 you love to hate is long gone. Easy question: how many have you actually owned? Or are your opinions simply based on your Internet research?

I'll be the first to admit that Chrysler's cheap ECONOMY cars generally stink up the place. But the facts show that the LX (300, Magnum, Charger) and the recently released LC (Challenger) are very reliable and sell like hotcakes. Overwhelmingly accepted by the public and widely viewed as excellent platforms. Sales don't lie.

My biz owned dozens of Chrysler products in the 80's and got great service out of them. Before that it was all Ford around here. We went GM in the 90's. All have been excellent money making platforms with reasonable maintenance. We buy whatever we feel gives us the best return on our investment, we would change brands in a heartbeat if the dollars were there!

In August of 05 my car (300C SRT8) retailed for 39k. At the time to get a 4 door luxury sedan even near comparable was 70-80k. CR gave the car a negative review BEFORE IT WAS EVEN AVAILABLE! Hello? No bias? You have to be kidding.

An extremely "robust" chassis is the backbone of the LX/LC cars and they are stiffer than a 911 torsionally with the first hydroformed chassis in a production sedan. They have so many features, yet so few are aware of them.

Ignorance is no good reason to brand bash. Buying into bad info published on the Internet isn't either. All brands get bashed here, bias and polarization are not regarded as positives by everyone. I just came from an Audi thread where someone was just a-bashin' away! Virtually every single brand with any sales in this country gets bashed on this forum, many times simply based on the reporting of the extremely small number of folks with problems who post all over the place. Many of those could quickly be resolved at the stealerships.

But the folks who get great service are rarely posting about it...

Last edited:
I know the 2.7 is gone, thank god. The best has been the economy car, the Neon.

I grew up in a Chrysler household, where would you like me to start?

The last five Chrysler were:

'06 Sebring Touring (93K when traded after water pump, cooling and HG hit, after 3 replacement radios and a host of other electrical issues)
'00 Neon SE. 80K and is now my mother's DD and sacrificial lamb to the government parking garage. Some issues with the power steering and the car has a hard shake to it at times. Wear on the trim has been bad, no where near my MR2 despite being a "left in the sun" convertible. However not the worst but the 28mpg highway was for an economy car.
'98 Sebring JXi Limited 128K traded after the second Tranny died (first was 71K.
'93 New Yorker '88K More electrical issue than anything, traded for '98 Sebring (and my First car to drive).
'91 Le-baron (totaled at 40K).

"Negative" review before it was released... not really. They likely gave it an "predicted reliability" based on the platform other makes. They do that if the make is rolling out another trim of an existing model. Plus a Jan '05 review of the V6 and V* (although not the SRT) said the drawbacks were cheap interior materials and low viability... that is it. Looking back with CR's 2011 edition of previous models, the 300 was below average and the 2012 reports were average. The 300 was recommended with average predicted reliability.

I personally do not consider Chrysler a luxury brand. Mid-range/mid-grade, sure but not luxury.

Last edited:
I also want to point out we are not talking about current Chryslers products... rather the older "budget" used and moving category. Not a Chrysler strength.

Neons took a wicked reputation hit with the head gasket problems in their first couple years and I don't think they ever truly recovered.

I think what is most impressive about the gas mileage I just calculated is that the Neon used essentially the same engine from 1995 to 2005. So my 2004 has nearly 20 year old technology in it, but it does have a good computer, and is able to achieve great gas mileage. There are people with first gen Neons to regularly get over 40mpg on highway trips.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Neons took a wicked reputation hit with the head gasket problems in their first couple years and I don't think they ever truly recovered.

I think what is most impressive about the gas mileage I just calculated is that the Neon used essentially the same engine from 1995 to 2005. So my 2004 has nearly 20 year old technology in it, but it does have a good computer, and is able to achieve great gas mileage. There are people with first gen Neons to regularly get over 40mpg on highway trips.

My best friend growing up had a '98 R/T, really fun car.

I have little doubt that the 5MT can get some great fuel mileage, but those with the 3AT, not so much.

For whatever reason, a lot of the late '90s/early '00 models across a lot of brands had HG issues. I am thinking those pesky iron blocks and aluminum heads + accountants then cheapening out on HG robustness.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: racer12306

My best friend growing up had a '98 R/T, really fun car.

I have little doubt that the 5MT can get some great fuel mileage, but those with the 3AT, not so much.

For whatever reason, a lot of the late '90s/early '00 models across a lot of brands had HG issues. I am thinking those pesky iron blocks and aluminum heads + accountants then cheapening out on HG robustness.

I could hypermile out some tanks into the high 30's mpg with the auto on my commute and it would get mid 30's on a longer trip if you stayed around 65mph. I did wish I had the manual though and in the city mileage tanked for some reason.
Simple tough little car though, I put it on its side at 60mph on a trip in the grass at a track day. It kicked back onto its wheels hard enough to pop the drivers side strut tower up an inch and bend my seat rails down. But I limped it off the track, checked for leaks or suspension cracks and then drove it home. And then drove it for another year after putting in another seat from the wreckers. Its still running today doing field car duty.
I got a bit lucky but its also a tough car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back