New Truck recommendation

Hi all. I have a Pilot and a Camry. Recent circumstances require me to get rid of my Camry and replace it with something that has more utility. A pickup truck seems to fit the bill. 80% of the time this will be used for mall crawler duty, but I will need to drive on poor mountain dirt roads occasionally and pull a small trailer (5k lbs or less) on those roads. There will be snow and mud on those roads too. I'm a fairly big boy with long legs, and like my comfort. I'll also need the truck to fit at least 5 people. I typically keep my vehicles for a long time (at least 200K, but typically 250K miles) and hate repairs, so reliability is probably my #1 criteria. I had a 2021 chevy 3.0 diesel for a while, but the noises that thing made WHILE THE ENGINE WAS OFF scared the hell out of me (clicks, whistles and rumbles when I approached it with the key in my pocket), so fearing eventual electrical gremlins I sold it--plus the price of diesel in my area was 25% higher than gas, negating the mpg advantage. F-150s are too dam expensive, Tundra turbos are now junk, and I don't fit in Tacomas. I'm thinking of a 4x4 Frontier SV, or a base model Chevy extended cab with the 2.7L turbo. I know nothing about Ram, other than the fact it's a Dodge made by some someone with a less than stellar reputation. FYI, I have no "little guy, big truck" ego. So, what the heck should I buy?
2.7 will make those noises as does my 2024 when I unlock it. It is the fuel pump priming the system. The 3.0 Duramax does this as well.
If it has to be new, Chevy or GMC 3/4 ton gasser w/ Allison 10 speed. A few folks here have bought them recently and have posted about them. I'm not a fan of DI myself, but you said it must be new, so take DI intake cleaning every 50k or whatever it is into consideration.
The L8T is a big L83. Both Direct Injected. The GM engines has not suffered the carbon build up issues of other brands, especially on these two engines. You can look it up. Some of them do have the problem but it is not widespread. I can tell you I love my 6.6 10 speed thus far.

I considered the Titan-still am. Why do these things sell in such low numbers?
I'm not sure why. A lot has to do with truck buyers being so brand loyal. My Great Grandpa, Grandpa and my Dad had an Ford, GM, Dodge so I have to have the same thing. Most people associate Toyota and Nissan with small trucks so they don't even bother looking at a Tundra or Titan. New to the truck market people will look at the Tundra or Titan but big three buyers are set in their way and won't look at anything else. Good luck shopping. My 2010 Tundra stills runs great so I'm not in a big hurry to buy. Waiting for the prices to come down a little and dealers start dealing because of excess inventory.

Get a 2nd gen Tundra. Not the best MPG but very reliable. I have a 2010 with 185,000 miles and only thing I've had to do to it other than routine maintenance is replace a rear leaf spring that broke at 175,000 miles.
Prior to 2019...you'll want the transmission cooler.

No one seems to know about them. They also sell cheaper used than anything. Unfortunately Nissan discontinued the Titan.
They're good trucks, though!

When I finally pull the trigger on a newer truck, Titan is going to be on the list.

Think you meant post 2019. Pretty sure the cooler was deleted on the later Gen 2 models. I know mine has a cooler.
No, as I said, the OP wants a 2nd generation Tundra made PRIOR to 2019 when they had a transmission cooler.

@rbk777

my answer to this is based on cash or finance, and if it is going to be a purpose used vehicle or DD.

Cash, buy a used gmt400 or 800 Gm truck, pay for all repairs up front, then you have a good truck, better than what you can ever buy today.

Finance, new Chevy or GMC gasser, 3\4 ton or above. Not a half ton, get a WT package.

Get a 2500HD with the 6.6 gasser. Heavy duty trucks last forever in commuter duty. And you'll never run into a situation where you don't have enough truck.

Marketing wasn't great with it honestly. Plus, they couldn't keep up with all the new features that the others have done. They are great trucks though, if you're considering one, now's a great time. 2024 model year is the last.

Get a 2500HD with the 6.6 gasser. Heavy duty trucks last forever in commuter duty. And you'll never run into a situation where you don't have enough truck.
You’re right. The 6.6 is another good LT engine with the ten speed. Unless you really go nuts with options or diesel, the price is not much different from a 1/2 ton comparably equipped.

You’re right. The 6.6 is another good LT engine with the ten speed. Unless you really go nuts with options or diesel, the price is not much different from a 1/2 ton comparably equipped.
I suggested it partly because I have been very pleased with my own truck, a 2016 2500HD crew 4x4 work truck with the 6.0 vortec. Seems like a lifetime ago, but I got it for 35k brand new during truck month ... I remember thinking it was actually about 2k cheaper than your typical LT silverado or XLT F150, and if i was willing to forego some creature comforts, I could get a lot more truck for a little less money.

114k miles later I am very pleased with that decision and I anticipate having the truck for a long time. The truck has been nearly flawless.

I've owned a LOT of cars in my 60 plus years--never had one make those noises before. Plus at the time is was a relatively new engine, and a GM product. Enough said. Further, I got rid of it during the Covid vehicle shortage, so the bath I took was very, very mild.
Just doing some research on GM transmissions, they are programming them to precondition with solenoids being operated when the unlock button is hit. They're burping the system in prep for start up. Enough bad press gets the engineers doing some interesting fixes.

Thanks everyone. It seems I'm narrowing down to a Titan ($40K new); an SV Frontier ($33K new) or a GM2500 ($47K)--all base models and best prices found. Leaning towards the Frontier, just because I'm done with expensive vehicles. The pause I have is which one will last the longest with fairly light duty--don't mind spending a bit more for real quality. I envision keeping this until I'm no longer on this earth.

All you need. ;)

Thanks everyone. It seems I'm narrowing down to a Titan ($40K new); an SV Frontier ($33K new) or a GM2500 ($47K)--all base models and best prices found. Leaning towards the Frontier, just because I'm done with expensive vehicles. The pause I have is which one will last the longest with fairly light duty--don't mind spending a bit more for real quality. I envision keeping this until I'm no longer on this earth.
I mean you could always buy a really crappy truck and then just die soon.

I'd have a hard time passing up the Titan at that difference, especially with the extra capability. But can't go wrong with any of those options. My only issue with the Titan would be aftermarket support in the distant future.

Chevy 2500HD 6.6L gasser. me personally i’d look for a 2020-2022 model with the 6L90. proven transmissions versus the 10L1000. the 3/4 tons just last longer with less maintenance in hard parts. the fuel economy loaded is also amazing. did a trip from houston to farmington New Mexico last summer. 1500-2000lbs in the bed, 3 full grown men and all their stuff for a week of work. cruise set at 75mph netted 21MPG. the 6.6L L8T is an amazing motor so far. power is always there regardless of the RPM range.

Back